Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hello All...

AeR0 · 40 · 3499

Offline AeR0

Hello All...
on: March 07, 2009, 06:43:56 AM
Hello i am 24/male/canada been looking at a multi tool for sometime to carry on my belt so that when i need a tool ive got it! with the way the economy has been i have been looking for one thats made in canada (no luck) so i tried finding some that were made in the usa. looked at gerber and they are made in china, looked at carolina same thing... found leatherman and they are made in the usa which kinda leaned me more towards them... even though i find thier cases to be really ugly.

so... i was hoping perhaps i could get some input from the experts on here!

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Re: Hello All...
Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 07:24:58 AM
Howdy and welcome. Now I like some of the older Leatherman cases. I have an original Wave with a Leather case and it is pretty nice. The newest case creations seem a little on the ordinary side.

Original Wave with leather case, Flair with well used nylon case, Original PST with older leather case, and newest Kick with newer leather case.

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 07:48:03 AM
Aero,

Welcome to the forum.  There is lots of good info and help available should you need it.  All you have to do is ask.

sean

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 08:57:42 AM
Welcome aboard mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline EZ822

Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 02:48:12 PM
Welcome!
Erick

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 03:16:00 PM
Welcome Aero - I'm sure you'll find the info you need here.

Just one thing to mention though, "new" Gerber tools are made in China, but you will find many models that were made in the US. Other brands you might want to consider are SOG, and even Bear, There might well be others too.

Probably the best way to decide which one you want would be to list the things that are important to you (you mentioned the sheath), but what about size, weight, tool selection etc. Is the knife the most important thing, or maybe screwdrivers, pliers etc. Do you like funky colours, or plain stainless steel or even military black  8)

Tell us what you like and I'm sure you'll get plenty of US made ideas.
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 03:36:45 PM
Welcome to the forum :salute: glad you might get a Leatherman when you do you won't be disappointed :tu: The older sheaths are better though :-\ I have a few of the newer ones they work but don't seem as nice as the older ones :( but the tools are all still great :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 04:13:20 PM
Greetings! :multi:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 05:15:46 PM
welcome mate :salute:

if may say something, i can recomend you the sog powerlock, its what i carry every day no mater where im going :tu:
A

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 05:28:57 PM
Welcome.  :D  Leatherman is a good choice of brand with a large range to pick from.  Have you thought about a Victorinox multi? Or even a humble Swiss Army Knife?  Not American I know but great tools none the less.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 05:33:07 PM
Lots of tools out there.  Depending on what you're looking for, also check out Columbia River Knife and Tool.  They have some cool MT's too.

..and Welcome.   :salute:

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 06:03:21 PM
Welcome to the forum buddy.  :)
I'm back!!

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 08:25:34 PM
Welcome to the forum :tu:
Prone to daydreaming.

Offline AeR0

Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 12:04:46 AM
thanks for the warm welcome guys..

can anyone list tools and tell me where they are made though?

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 12:10:28 AM
Well, there are literally hundreds of tools Aero - it would not be a simple task.

As a general rule, older Gerbers, Leatherman, SOG, Bear &Son, CRKT (I think) are US made, Victorinox and Wenger are Swiss made.

But as I said previously, some newer Gerber models are made in China.

Best thing to do really is think about what you want in a tool, then people can give you some ideas and tell you where they are made.

Offline AeR0

Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 03:56:10 AM
i really dont know what i am looking for in a tool yet as i just got the idea that i would like to start carrying a multitool  around with me.

buying from a company that is reputable and offers a good warranty would mean alot to me.

any input?

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: March 08, 2009, 04:07:02 AM
Well, all of the companies mentioned so far will make some good tools and have long warranties, they are really the leaders in the multitool world.

Personally, I prefer Leatherman to just about all of the others, but you will find guys that favour SOG or Victorinox or Gerber, purely because there's some characteristic or feature of the tool that suits them better. It's quite a personal thing.

It sounds though you're after something just to be prepared for whatever might crop up in every day life?

If you go to the homepage here: www.multitool.org you'll find reviews on most of the better brands and models - maybe something you'll find there will take your fancy?

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #17 on: March 08, 2009, 04:43:19 AM
Welcome to the forum, Aero! Have you considered the Leatherman Blast? It's a good place to start.. Then you could go smaller or bigger if you need.. It's around $50..
B

Offline AeR0

Reply #18 on: March 08, 2009, 06:28:23 AM
from the leatherman designs i really seem to like the following:

1st choice:Skeletool CX

2nd choice:Skeletool

3rd choice:Charge XTi

the rest i didnt really like.

i looked at the pros on these and they seemed to be good.

i think i like them though b/c of thier styling and design.

now to go look at gerber selection.

will report back!
 :D

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: March 08, 2009, 07:13:09 AM
Welcome to the forum  :cheers:

I have the regular Skeletool (plain edge preference) and it's a great edc minimalist multi, add a SAK (Swiss Army Knife) to that as a supplement and you'll be set for most tasks.

Offline AeR0

Reply #20 on: March 08, 2009, 07:24:34 AM
sorry.. newbie here.... what does "EDC" mean? :think: :think: :think:

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: March 08, 2009, 07:31:33 AM
Every Day Carry.     and Welcome
Dennis

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: March 08, 2009, 09:14:39 AM
Every Day Carry.     and Welcome

FYI, BTW, Welcome to the Forum Aero! :D :cheers:

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #23 on: March 08, 2009, 12:18:20 PM
Welcome to the forum :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #24 on: March 08, 2009, 04:09:19 PM
Welcome to the forum- nice to see another Canucklehead in the mix!

I wouldn't worry too much about where a tool was made- borders are just lines on a map these days, and while China may be the source for a lot of "crap" tools, they are also capable of making some good stuff- CRKT's stuff is made in China or Taiwan, and is very good quality.  You just have to stay away from the Wal Mart/Home Depot type brands, or tools with no brand at all. 

Of course, to combat the growing number of cheapies out there, Gerber has come up with an inexpensive line of tools that should really be avoided by the serious user, and is not indicative of their overall quality.  It's an experiment that hasn't endeared them to many people, but I am sure the sales of these tools is solid as they are distributed through the big box stores.

You really can't go wrong with Leatherman, but be warned that the Skeletool series are somewhat limited in comparison to other models, and other brands.  True, they have managed to incorporate a respectable number of options into a small package (knife blade, pliers, wire cutters, 4 screwdrivers, bottle opener, carabiner and pocket clip) but it doesn't have the versatility of a standard sized tool.  And, the carabiner and bit driver puts it in the regular sized tool category, at least as far as length is concerned.  So, for example, if you are a woods guy, you might want to reconsider the Skeletools as they don't have saws.  It is however, just about the perfect size for the average person's daily tasks around the home or office, and light enough to carry on walks or hikes.

Of course the big problem around here is if you ask what the best tool is for _______, you'll get a hundred different answers!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline AeR0

Reply #25 on: March 08, 2009, 04:32:38 PM
yeah i hear you.. i am trying to get involved with some search and resuce stuff and ive been doing alot of reading on the charge xti and think it would be a  better fit.

also in school for policing so id like a tool that would be useful on the job and also as a everyday tool / S &R tool too.

any input or suggestions?

i am not brand specific really ... more open to a tool that will benefit me in the 3 things i would be using it for.. price is not a issue as i will buy a tool that i know is going to benefit me.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #26 on: March 08, 2009, 05:03:11 PM
The Charge XTi is a discontinued model; the Charge ALX (same thing but with aluminum handles) took it's place.. Have you considered the Charge TTi? It combines the XTi and Ti.. It has the crimpers on the pliers, an S30V blade (excellent and exclusive to the TTi), large flat head screwdriver (exellent for pushing, probing, poking!) the gut hook on the back of the serrated blade, and scissors.. It doesn't have two large bit drivers but it has one large and the small eyeglass driver. Two bit drivers is unnecessary IMO, the excellent leather or nylon sheath (included with any Charge) has an elastic sleeve in the inside of the sheath to hold the bits; so you can hold just as many bits- but you would need to switch them out accordingly.

The Charge makes an excellent on the job/ everday tool because it has many carry options (sheath, pocket clip, lanyard ring), premium knife blade material, extremely versatile bit driver (you can buy a 21 piece double sided bit kit with an assortment of bits), and the Charge's handle scales are more scratch resistant than stainless steel handles..

As I said, I recommend the TTi; as it's taking the Ti and XTi and combining them.. It runs from $100-120 USD online..

I hope this helps..  :cheers:
B

Offline AeR0

Reply #27 on: March 08, 2009, 05:18:55 PM
The Charge XTi is a discontinued model; the Charge ALX (same thing but with aluminum handles) took it's place.. Have you considered the Charge TTi? It combines the XTi and Ti.. It has the crimpers on the pliers, an S30V blade (excellent and exclusive to the TTi), large flat head screwdriver (exellent for pushing, probing, poking!) the gut hook on the back of the serrated blade, and scissors.. It doesn't have two large bit drivers but it has one large and the small eyeglass driver. Two bit drivers is unnecessary IMO, the excellent leather or nylon sheath (included with any Charge) has an elastic sleeve in the inside of the sheath to hold the bits; so you can hold just as many bits- but you would need to switch them out accordingly.

The Charge makes an excellent on the job/ everday tool because it has many carry options (sheath, pocket clip, lanyard ring), premium knife blade material, extremely versatile bit driver (you can buy a 21 piece double sided bit kit with an assortment of bits), and the Charge's handle scales are more scratch resistant than stainless steel handles..

As I said, I recommend the TTi; as it's taking the Ti and XTi and combining them.. It runs from $100-120 USD online..

I hope this helps..  :cheers:

checked out the TTI its the cabelas exclusive... not a fan of the camo colouring on it :(

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #28 on: March 08, 2009, 05:25:51 PM
There's a regular TTi and the Camo versions (Cabelas and Bass Pro Shops).

http://www.leatherman.com/multi-tools/full-size-tools/charge-tti.aspx
B

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #29 on: March 08, 2009, 07:00:30 PM
Core, maybe a SURGE, possibly a Swisstool, you could consider a Wave.  :think:  :ahhh

And welcome.  :tu:
Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%