Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking at a new camera

00 Offline RaptorMan

• No Life Club
Looking at a new camera
on: March 08, 2009, 10:37:01 PM
Im looking at the below camera. Its a Kodak M1033 3X optical zoom 5X digital zoom and 10 megapixel. Anyone have one or know anything about it? The GF has a Kodak already and it is perfect this one will be mine for hunting and my upcoming Nascar trip. Any opinions or knowledge would be cool.

M1033_frontblk.jpg
* M1033_frontblk.jpg (Filesize: 19.98 KB)

Offline ecfiffer

Re: Looking at a new camera
Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 01:46:32 AM
i think they make good stuff, i have been looking at getting a olympus shock and water proof one.  hey gotta thnk like that when you have 2 little monkes that will grab and drop any and everything that they can.  but back to the kodak.  i dont think you could go wrong.  have you gotten a chance to play with it?  does the local best buy have it or one like it?  hell we went to the local best buy and there was one of those point and shoot cameras that was smurfe with pink dots on it and my wife has been bugging me ever since for it, because it had pink dots on it.... shoot me!
'

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 10:02:18 AM
I usually check reviews and features here: http://www.dpreview.com

Optical Zoom is important (it's real zoom done with the lense glass) where digital Zoom is "faked" (you're just zooming on the picture you're taking) and pretty much you can do that later with software on your PC...

My first digital cam was Kodak, and it lasted me quite a few years, had great lenses. Alas it was a 1 Megapixel camera so eventually I replaced it with a 4 megapixel Nikon... which worked great up until I got the Digital SLR Nikon that is my  main camera now. I still have the small one and use it as a backup and more portable unit, although it is not an ultra compact like they make now!

Other things to consider are does it have a viewfinder or just a screen (and if so, can the screen be turned off... I find using the viewfinder instead of the screen greatly improves battery life)
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 01:28:33 PM
I also use dpreview for info along with Steves's digicams.

Personally I've had excellent results with the Canon point and shoots.  Currently I have an 870is which goes with me everywhere.  And I mean EVERYWHERE. 

Biggest things to me are ability to take standard memory cards (NOT sony memory sticks), quick on, and easy to use knobs and menus.  I suspect all major manufacturers are pretty good these days.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 01:36:43 PM
I am on my second or third Kodak now and I think they are great cameras.  I like them because they have many preset modes for amateurs like me, but can also be set manually in case I ever figure out what the heck I am doing with one.  They also take SD cards, which is my memory card of choice (everything I have from mp3 players to cell phones to car stereos takes SD or Micro SD) and the menus are simple, logical and easy to navigate.

I really don't think you can be disappointed in a Kodak camera, unless maybe you are a really hard core camera guy and need something specific they don't offer.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one- in fact, it's the brand I gravitate towards.  I've not had many cameras, but I have had HP, Fuji and a few others over the years, and used many more, but Kodak is so far the only brand I have specifically gone back to.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline RaptorMan

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 01:49:18 AM
Ive had a chance to play with a couple and really like how it shoots and the slim profile. I can get one on Ebay for $115 refurbished with the MFG Warranty. My local Walmart has them for $169. I think I am going to go for it on Ebay.

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 03:31:36 PM
Never been a fan of kodak cameras, but I really like the Canon Powershot line, and the Panasonic Lumix line.

00 Offline RaptorMan

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 04:45:36 PM
I have a Powershot 720 at work and love it just looking for something smaller profile.

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
  • Where is all that water coming from?!
Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 05:39:57 PM
I have a Panasonic Lumix. A FX55 or FX35. Not sure and to lazy to look it up  ::) But it serves me well and easy to operate. I bought it a about year ago so I'm assuming that Panasonic came out with a new model by now, looking at the speed of technology these days  :o And if the new model is the same or better, you cannot go wrong with the Lumix. If you ask me...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%