Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

So why is it axes don't come sharp?

jzmtl · 54 · 16784

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
So why is it axes don't come sharp?
on: March 08, 2009, 10:48:10 PM
Really, I've never seen an axe that's sharp out of the box. Hardware store axes have edge that's literally 1/4" thick, fiskars have thin formed edge but not actually sharp, estwing also have decent secondary bevel but not sharpened either. Why? Even a 50 cents utility knife comes sharp out of the box, why can't axes do the same? (I'd hate to see somebody who doesn't have power tools thin out that 1/4" thick edge!)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: So why is it axes don't come sharp?
Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 11:46:46 PM
The only thing that I have heard argued is that a large amount of axes are sold and used for splitting.  The logic is that a blunt axe will split just as well and is less likely to stick in the round, basically it's being used as a high speed wedge.  Personally I don't like the idea myself and will always put an edge on a axe.  It makes for a much more versatile tool that can split, chop, slice, scrape etc.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 12:17:57 AM
Me too Gareth, I put an edge on mine as well. Normally, I thin the shoulder down a little and give it a decent edge. Though nothing close to what I do for my knives, I like to keep a fair amount of metal behind the edge.

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 07:29:29 AM
I'm with you guys :)

It's just a cheap and easy way for them to save money imo ::)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 12:06:15 PM
Well I'm happy to report that my new Gransfors Bruks SFA came absolutely razor sharp :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 12:48:01 PM
Good stuff mate.  :)  It's the only axe I've ever had that I didn't feel the need to sharpen either.  Do you like it?

Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 03:56:28 PM
Good stuff mate.  :)  It's the only axe I've ever had that I didn't feel the need to sharpen either.  Do you like it?
Erm...YES :D

It is a very fine bit of kit, and may be responsible for altering my perceptions of all things Axey :)

The fit and finish are really top notch, but it's the balance and poise of the thing that's so amazing :)

I certainly don't think this'll be my last GB :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 04:17:01 PM
Thank goodness for that.  If you couldn't have your head turned by a GB then all hope was lost.  :D

Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 05:44:51 PM
Thank goodness for that.  If you couldn't have your head turned by a GB then all hope was lost.  :D
So what one's do you have then mate ???

The Wildlife Hatchet is pretty high on the list :gimme:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 05:55:48 PM
The only GB I have is the SFA.  Like you I really like the look of the Wildlife Hatchet, but also the Mini.  I have held the Mini and it is tiny.  I wouldn't want to try and fell a tree with it that's for sure, but as a stand in for a big knife it feels great.

Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 05:59:46 PM
but as a stand in for a big knife it feels great.
See that's what I'm looking for :), as the days of me being able to use a Kukri are pretty much over on these shores :cry:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 06:32:42 PM
See that's what I'm looking for :), as the days of me being able to use a Kukri are pretty much over on these shores :cry:

I see what you mean.  The smallest I have is that Wetterlings Mini I got not long after you did.  IIRC I got the even smaller one than you did.  You will see it at the meet-up.  Small as it is the GB mini is much more compact.

Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 06:43:10 PM

I see what you mean.  The smallest I have is that Wetterlings Mini I got not long after you did.  IIRC I got the even smaller one than you did.  You will see it at the meet-up.  Small as it is the GB mini is much more compact.
I guess I'll have to add the GB mini to the list too then :D

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 08:48:13 PM
My Dad is a retired tree feller, he started out in the days when chain saws were still rare. I remember him saying that felling axes were sharp enough to shave hairs from your arm. Next time I see him I'll ask how they used to sharpen them.
Prone to daydreaming.

Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 10:06:26 PM
My Dad is a retired tree feller, he started out in the days when chain saws were still rare. I remember him saying that felling axes were sharp enough to shave hairs from your arm. Next time I see him I'll ask how they used to sharpen them.
Thank's mate :), I'd appreciate that :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 02:40:33 AM

+1 on that.  :)

Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 07:22:12 AM

+1 on that.  :)
Looks like mob rule Craig so you'd best get on it :D

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 08:52:36 PM
I was hoping for a magic system that would make it easy for cack handed people like me but no luck :( He just said start off with a file if it there is a load of metal to remove and then finish with a stone. I suspect that the reason they could get them sharp is that they were practicing every day. I would think that felling a tree would dull an edge pretty well so they'd be sharping their tools quite often.
Prone to daydreaming.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 09:02:21 PM
So I don't need this magic wand then?  ::)  Ah well, I get my stuff sharp enough for me.  Thanks for asking for us though.  :tu:

Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 09:43:17 PM
I was hoping for a magic system that would make it easy for cack handed people like me but no luck :( He just said start off with a file if it there is a load of metal to remove and then finish with a stone. I suspect that the reason they could get them sharp is that they were practicing every day. I would think that felling a tree would dull an edge pretty well so they'd be sharping their tools quite often.
Thanks for that mate :tu:

At least there's no sorcery involved, so the rest of us stand half a chance :)

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 11:39:39 PM

That's all I use, file down the shoulders with a double cut smurf file, then finish with a Lansky Puck (or Norton Puck). Get's plenty sharp for everything I need to do with an axe or hatchet. Just make sure you keep the bevels equal on both sides, it will twist less when you chop/split.

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

us Offline David

Reply #21 on: November 26, 2010, 11:18:42 PM
This is a subject that I`ve often wondered about over the years. I`ve been doing a little research on axes and ran across a gentleman explaining this dilemma as it applied to American axes any way. He was saying that in the old days some wanted axes for felling trees and some wanted axes that were used more for splitting. Since in those days every town had a man who had a water grinder the axe manufacturers left the axe blade a little thick so the end user could sharpen it to his uses. Fast forward to today and axes are manufactured much the same way but the local water grinder is gone. So we`re left with thick blunt axe blade that require a fair amount of work to get into proper shape. Any hoo that my condensed version as I understood it.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

Reply #22 on: November 26, 2010, 11:24:33 PM
This is a subject that I`ve often wondered about over the years. I`ve been doing a little research on axes and ran across a gentleman explaining this dilemma as it applied to American axes any way. He was saying that in the old days some wanted axes for felling trees and some wanted axes that were used more for splitting. Since in those days every town had a man who had a water grinder the axe manufacturers left the axe blade a little thick so the end user could sharpen it to his uses. Fast forward to today and axes are manufactured much the same way but the local water grinder is gone. So we`re left with thick blunt axe blade that require a fair amount of work to get into proper shape. Any hoo that my condensed version as I understood it.
That sound's very plausible :)

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #23 on: November 29, 2010, 03:48:15 PM

Not unheard of as back in the day alot of pocketknives came this way as well. Many manufacturers would put just a rudimentary edge on their blades leaving them fairly basic for the purchaser to put whatever edge he wanted on it for his own purposes.

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #24 on: November 29, 2010, 03:54:36 PM
That sounds very reasonable to me...I have had an Estwing Hunter's Hatchet for many years now..When I purchased it I spent about 30 minutes or so feeling the edges on all of them on the rack until I found the one that felt the closest to bieng sharp..I took it home, and worked on the edge with a couple of diamond stones and finally an Arkansas Stone til I got her where I wanted her. I can shave the hair off my arm..No slam against GB's offering, but for those prices I would expect them shaving sharp and ready to go right out of the box..Seems like the deliver!
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #25 on: November 29, 2010, 04:34:18 PM
That may be true for 50 years ago, but how many people today have the ability to grind down a 3/8" thick edge with 80° angle? I don't even know if there are any places today that regind axes.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: November 29, 2010, 04:52:36 PM
That may be true for 50 years ago, but how many people today have the ability to grind down a 3/8" thick edge with 80° angle? I don't even know if there are any places today that regind axes.

That's true, but it's maybe it's now acceptable because people only really think of axes as tools for splitting wood?  Even I have to admit an axe doesn't have to be particularly sharp to bludgeon it's way through a round of wood.

us Offline David

Reply #27 on: November 29, 2010, 06:49:11 PM
Bark River Knife and Tool use to regrind axes but don't know if they still do. Even if they do it is still a lot of added cost. When I get an axe I clamp it in a vise and start filing then finish it with a stone. Most axes require a lot of filing. But is much cheaper than sending it off some where. I do wish what few axe makers that are left would give us a better tempered and sharpened axe that is good to go when purchased. I use my axes for chopping mostly.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #28 on: November 29, 2010, 11:43:47 PM
I just wish they come harder, mid 50's HRC.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #29 on: November 30, 2010, 04:36:09 AM
My wetterling carpenter came sharp and my ranger hawk was sharp also. Cold steel aint bad. My coleman axe is as sharp as a dornob.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%