Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Surge pocket clip sideways play solved

Jors · 5 · 14116

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Surge pocket clip sideways play solved
on: January 22, 2011, 09:36:50 AM
I have been plagued with the sideclip of the Surge moving sideways because of the fact that there is a gap between the pocket clip edge and the little block on the inside of the Surge's bolster.
See my review, that give an explanation at:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,25332.0.html

I have added a very small stainless steel part. See the arrow:

The part does not touch the scissors and it is almost invisible. The part was glued with epoxy glue and can be removed without damage and if you ever have to send your multitool in for repairs, Leatherman can not complain.

In the second image you can see the part in more detail:

There is also a further 3mm piece extending underneath the clip's edge.

Here you can see the part from another angle:

The problem occurred where the pocket clip, after inserted swiveled at point A because of the gap at B. Now with the piece of metal there the pocket clip has no sideways movement at all and the clip is even more rigid than on the Wave.

Now the lanyard clip also can be used without any play.
Even the sawblade mods can now be applied.

There is a more permanent hack option, and tht is to build up metal with a TIG welder on the inside of the bolster and shape it with a Dremmel.
Regards
Johan

LEATHERMAN: Charge TTi; Super Tool 300; Surge; Pulse; Squirt P4; Micra; MUT STD; Bit Adapter; Universal Bit Adapter; Bit Extender; Leatherman Bit Kit; SOG: Powerlock (S60); Pocket PowerPlier (S44-N); Paratool (S31-N); CrossCut (CC51-CP); Rebar.
Lightsaver LS805 Commando; LED P7 & P5 (EDC); Maratac AAA (EDC Backup); Maglite Solitaire LED.
Cold Steel Lawman; Cudeman 8" & 10" Bowie. 4 Joseph Rogers, 4 Opinel; Buck 110 & 112 & 503.
www.johancrous.co.za

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: Surge pocket clip sideways play solved
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 12:13:55 PM
I like it.

Almost lost a Surge because of that exact problem.

Any pics of the shape of the piece alone?  I might give this mod a go. :salute:

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 01:49:11 PM
Her is a simple sketch of the piece with approximate sizes:

I made use of stainless steel straps, the type they use to tie bins to lamp poles. It is approximately 0.8 mm thick.

The initial dimensions is 6mm wide and then you remove the piece left of part B.
Bend A so that it will fit inside the tool and whil holding it with a shrp nose pliers bend part C and file til flush with the edge.
Glue then with epoxy glue. the sides of B on the right hand side can be filed round to prevent the scissors to touch it.
Also the part C can be rounded to save your fingers.

The thin part must be the same size than the slit it the bolster and the up and down thickness as required.

Unfortunately I did not photograph the item before installation.
Regards
Johan

LEATHERMAN: Charge TTi; Super Tool 300; Surge; Pulse; Squirt P4; Micra; MUT STD; Bit Adapter; Universal Bit Adapter; Bit Extender; Leatherman Bit Kit; SOG: Powerlock (S60); Pocket PowerPlier (S44-N); Paratool (S31-N); CrossCut (CC51-CP); Rebar.
Lightsaver LS805 Commando; LED P7 & P5 (EDC); Maratac AAA (EDC Backup); Maglite Solitaire LED.
Cold Steel Lawman; Cudeman 8" & 10" Bowie. 4 Joseph Rogers, 4 Opinel; Buck 110 & 112 & 503.
www.johancrous.co.za

us Offline SuzukiGS750EZ

Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 07:05:53 AM
I wish there was An easier way. I took pliers and bent the part of the clip that goes under the lock up to close the gap. Only issue is if it gets squeezed while working the pliers it bends it back.

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 04:06:12 PM
Apology for not answering before. I only saw this reply now.
I have not experienced any problems with this mod until today. I am still using as I have done it the first day and it is the only mod I did on the Surge. Currently the Surge is still my choice of a multitool.
Regards
Johan

www.johancrous.co.za

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD