Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

OPINELS

Zed · 2796 · 186608

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: OPINELS
Reply #900 on: November 19, 2015, 07:46:31 PM
Your brain works in weird ways :D

You think?...

Show content
Must be the sinapses...

Show content

... or lack thereof...
 :whistle:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #901 on: November 19, 2015, 07:50:50 PM
 :rofl:

I guess it's rather too much brain in a tiny space  ;) :D

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #902 on: November 19, 2015, 08:09:03 PM
:rofl:

I guess it's rather too much brain in a tiny space  ;) :D

Oh, that would explain it...

Show content

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #903 on: November 20, 2015, 09:19:14 AM
Got the collar all sorted this time.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #904 on: November 20, 2015, 09:20:53 AM
Decided to change the choil a little, I like it even more now.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #905 on: November 20, 2015, 09:23:13 AM
Rounded the backstop some, the sharp point was catchy.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #906 on: November 20, 2015, 09:28:01 AM
Sanded the sharp edges off along the back of the blade.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #907 on: November 20, 2015, 09:30:35 AM
Deburred the factory edge and we're ready to rock.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #908 on: November 20, 2015, 10:19:52 AM
Looks good! Nice work Z!
Nate

SEND IT!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #909 on: November 20, 2015, 10:51:25 AM
 :cheers:

no Offline Grathr

Reply #910 on: November 20, 2015, 12:01:38 PM
That turned out great!
Very nice work! :tu:
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #911 on: November 20, 2015, 02:34:44 PM
That turned out great!
Very nice work! :tu:

+1     :tu: :tu:

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #912 on: November 20, 2015, 02:56:25 PM
Decided to change the choil a little, I like it even more now.

It makes more sense now. Nice work, Doc. :tu: Why did you remove the curve from the blade's spine, though?
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #913 on: November 20, 2015, 08:26:56 PM

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #914 on: November 20, 2015, 08:50:03 PM
It makes more sense now. Nice work, Doc. :tu: Why did you remove the curve from the blade's spine, though?

Thanks.   :cheers:

Do you mean the change to semi drop point from clip?

I probably should have left it alone. I liked the look of mag's one but didn't do as good a job and now it annoys me. To fix it will cost me another few mm.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #915 on: November 20, 2015, 11:48:19 PM

I probably should have left it alone. I liked the look of mag's one but didn't do as good a job and now it annoys me. To fix it will cost me another few mm.

I gave in.   :facepalm:

gr Offline firiki

Reply #916 on: November 23, 2015, 10:45:51 AM

I gave in.   :facepalm:

:D   :tu:  :cheers:

I can't really see the difference in the pic but I'm sure you you like it better now.

I like clip point blades, the only thing I'd be tempted to change on a Opinel would be the blade's tip; I'd shave off some material to make it a little rounder and sturdier. The way they come from the factory I feel they're prone to chipping or bending. Mine got a little bent in the end so it got relegated to a nasty chores knife.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #917 on: November 23, 2015, 10:53:02 AM
I like clip point blades, the only thing I'd be tempted to change on a Opinel would be the blade's tip; I'd shave off some material to make it a little rounder and sturdier. The way they come from the factory I feel they're prone to chipping or bending. Mine got a little bent in the end so it got relegated to a nasty chores knife.

I don't mind the Opinel tip, even if I saw some chipped ones. But if you find it too thin and pointy, never get a Kershaw Leek... I'm even afraid to open envelopes with that thing  :P

If you like less pointy Opinels you have the rounded Junior the Spear-shaped Garden range and the less pointy Outdoor range. Opinel DIY is a drop-down as well.
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #918 on: November 23, 2015, 11:12:27 AM

I don't mind the Opinel tip, even if I saw some chipped ones. But if you find it too thin and pointy, never get a Kershaw Leek... I'm even afraid to open envelopes with that thing  :P

If you like less pointy Opinels you have the rounded Junior the Spear-shaped Garden range and the less pointy Outdoor range. Opinel DIY is a drop-down as well.

:cheers: I know what you mean... Really thin and pointy blade tips can easily cut or stratch you if you're not paying attention. They can even be hard to see at times  ::)

I like the classic Opinel blade even with the very thin, pointy tip. I'd be all over the Outdoor range IF they came without serrations and the cutout on the blade. The DIY line only appeals to me for the plastic handles ( but there's also a cutout on those  :-\ ) .

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #919 on: November 23, 2015, 04:16:30 PM

I need some Kershaw assisted knife in my life. Played with one the other day and it os strangely addictive.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #920 on: November 23, 2015, 04:52:22 PM

I need some Kershaw assisted knife in my life. Played with one the other day and it os strangely addictive.
This is the OPINEL thread Harley No one wants to know.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #921 on: November 23, 2015, 09:58:53 PM

Since when do we stay on topic here?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #922 on: November 23, 2015, 10:08:51 PM

Tomorrow.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #923 on: November 23, 2015, 10:12:49 PM

Tomorrow.

Lies.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #924 on: November 23, 2015, 11:13:26 PM

Tomorrow.

Lies.

Over the rainbow.
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline BASguy

Reply #925 on: November 25, 2015, 04:41:07 PM
Just got an Opinel #6.  It came with a pretty crappy edge, lots of burrs.  I guess maybe it wanted to be a saw....? We'll hone it up and see how it runs.  Not super impressed with the fiddly ring lock, but it's pretty effective. 

Sent from 9 miles from the face of the sun

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #926 on: November 26, 2015, 03:49:49 PM
Just got an Opinel #6.  It came with a pretty crappy edge, lots of burrs.  I guess maybe it wanted to be a saw....? We'll hone it up and see how it runs.  Not super impressed with the fiddly ring lock, but it's pretty effective. 

Congrats on your new Opi.  :tu: The lock will loosen in time and you won't find a more simple and effective lock out there. Once it's sharp and you carry it about a bit you'll probably begin to really appreciate why it's so well loved round here.

'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline BASguy

Reply #927 on: November 26, 2015, 04:44:26 PM

Congrats on your new Opi.  :tu: The lock will loosen in time and you won't find a more simple and effective lock out there. Once it's sharp and you carry it about a bit you'll probably begin to really appreciate why it's so well loved round here.

I was a bit surprised when I I used it to slice a tomato last night.  I hadn't gotten around to touching up the edge, but figured I'd see how badly it would cut first.  That little bugger sliced it up like it was a straight razor.   This thing may work out

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #928 on: November 26, 2015, 10:12:01 PM

I was a bit surprised when I I used it to slice a tomato last night.  I hadn't gotten around to touching up the edge, but figured I'd see how badly it would cut first.  That little bugger sliced it up like it was a straight razor.   This thing may work out

:tu:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #929 on: November 26, 2015, 10:17:34 PM
Is the edge still looking ropey BAS? Have you tried just stropping it to de-fash it, or is it more severe than that?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD