Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman SIDEKICK / WINGMAN Owners Club

Accujohn · 950 · 132952

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Leatherman SIDEKICK / WINGMAN Owners Club
Reply #630 on: June 14, 2016, 09:42:53 AM
New to the site, just got my wingman today!  I'm hoping I can relocate the belt clip and replace the two screwdrivers with the LM bit driver.  Might try to replace the file with something else as well.

Welcome to the forum Matt. :hatsoff:  Sounds like a good modification there, we'll need to see some pics when it's done. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #631 on: June 14, 2016, 09:46:31 AM
Can I join?
(Image removed from quote.)

Does half a MT give you half a membership?  :think:  I still really like these mods and can't believe that LM themselves haven't started doing them themselves.  I'm never going to buy a Rev, but I would be tempted by one of these.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #633 on: June 14, 2016, 11:56:03 AM
New to the site, just got my wingman today!  I'm hoping I can relocate the belt clip and replace the two screwdrivers with the LM bit driver.  Might try to replace the file with something else as well.

Welcome to the forum Matt. :hatsoff:  Sounds like a good modification there, we'll need to see some pics when it's done. :tu:

Welcome to the forum Matt :salute:  +1 on the pics when you finish your mod :tu:

us Offline Dan B

Reply #634 on: June 20, 2016, 05:14:30 AM
Can I join?
(Image removed from quote.)

Wild! It's awesome. Kinda like a leatherman SAK.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #635 on: June 20, 2016, 11:49:16 AM
Interesting. What did that pocket clip come off of, or is it a generic one?  Also, does it work better than the standard one?

The clip was from a cheap Karambit folder.

It works better than the standard one (for my uses and preferences) because it is deeper carry, and I have less people bother me about what's in my pocket.  :tu:

When on the beach, for instance (my swimsuit is black and the clip doesn't shine and reveal the tool)

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #636 on: June 30, 2016, 02:35:09 AM
Uuuuhhh

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #637 on: June 30, 2016, 04:12:06 AM
Sorry buddy hope you can get that clip situated  :cheers:

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #638 on: June 30, 2016, 04:32:41 AM
It's constantly popping out. It moves about once a day.

Can't wait to switch back to a Wave.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #639 on: June 30, 2016, 04:36:03 AM

I bet loc-tite on that pivot would help. Also, perhaps bend the divot on the clip a little farther downward into the knife.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #640 on: June 30, 2016, 04:44:14 AM

I bet loc-tite on that pivot would help. Also, perhaps bend the divot on the clip a little farther downward into the knife.
Done and Done

This is the only Leatherman I have actually lost. Went back to the furniture store and found the couch it was in. After that I removed the clip, added super glue, loctite, and bent the retainer down while also bending the clip as to make it hold better.

Even so the placement makes no sense!!

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #641 on: June 30, 2016, 04:46:50 AM

Done and Done

This is the only Leatherman I have actually lost. Went back to the furniture store and found the couch it was in. After that I removed the clip, added super glue, loctite, and bent the retainer down while also bending the clip as to make it hold better.

It does if you carry it on the left, and carry a SAK on the right

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #642 on: June 30, 2016, 04:50:12 AM

Done and Done

Not falling for that one

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #643 on: June 30, 2016, 04:52:27 AM

Done and Done

Not falling for that one
Oh come on.... a Climber pairs nicely with a Sidekick, and a Camper with a Wingman :poke:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #644 on: June 30, 2016, 03:14:46 PM

Done and Done

Not falling for that one
Oh come on.... a Climber pairs nicely with a Sidekick, and a Camper with a Wingman :poke:

It's true everyone knows that you need a SAK in your pocket and a LM either on your belt or clip in your pocket, rather common knowledge  :whistle:

us Offline Dan B

Reply #645 on: July 04, 2016, 08:48:06 PM

Welcome, matt!

I did the clip switch.  It's not too hard. Here is the write-up:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,66884.msg1286449.html#msg1286449

The one additional thing that I'll say is that drilling the hole goes easier if you have some way of supporting the tool from the inside.

Oh, and please let us see the results when you're done!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 08:58:06 PM by Dan B »

us Offline JasonJ

Reply #646 on: July 12, 2016, 06:31:02 PM
Uuuuhhh(Image removed from quote.)

My Sidekick did this when new.  I removed the clip, bent the alignment tab dealy thing down, then reattached and tightened the screw accordingly, so it was snug, but did not make the tools held by that screw too tight to open.  Never loosened or came off again. 

Until I misplaced the entire tool.

My Wingman has not been a problem at all. 

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #647 on: July 12, 2016, 07:48:55 PM
Uuuuhhh(Image removed from quote.)

My Sidekick did this when new.  I removed the clip, bent the alignment tab dealy thing down, then reattached and tightened the screw accordingly, so it was snug, but did not make the tools held by that screw too tight to open.  Never loosened or came off again. 

Until I misplaced the entire tool.

My Wingman has not been a problem at all.

Bad deal about the Sidekick :-\ At least you still have the Wingman though :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #648 on: July 12, 2016, 07:49:33 PM
Oh and welcome to :MTO: JasonJ :tu:

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #649 on: July 12, 2016, 07:57:04 PM
Welcome aboard! :multi:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #650 on: July 13, 2016, 12:32:37 PM
Wingman is now officially my BOB tool.

Seems versatile and basic enough for a short time emergency (lights go off, storm, foret fire) situation, so to the kit it goes.

Nice club we got here  :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #651 on: July 13, 2016, 01:46:31 PM
I like the Wingman myself and think it is a versatile tool as well :cheers:  :cheers:I wished it had the PE blade like the Sidekick has but I digress ::) :D

Other than that it is a very nice budget minded tool :cheers:

ru Offline Neo

Reply #652 on: July 15, 2016, 04:14:31 PM
I have bought my wingman not so long ago. In Russia, it is nearly $55-65 in retail.
There was a clearence of a technology market with a big 50% discount, so that I had it nearly for $30 which was a big deal for here  :cheers:

For knife, I have the same wish that if they could put a straight blade. But I have a plan to buy s30V blade of Charge TTI to replace with wingman's (s30V is nearly $23 here http://nalob.ru/products/20632386 )

Also, for one hand opening, I had some difficulties. So I've made a little mod on the hole of the knife blade. As you can see in the photo, I shaped a little piece of wood to fit inside the hole. Then I colored it with a permanent marker. That's it... Now much more easy to open with my thumb...

Lastly, my pliers pivot head was a little loose (I saw that some other people had similar problems with their Leatherman pliers). The pliers had a misalignment for 1-2 mm and becasue of that handles were also twisting. For solution, I took a hammer and a metal punch with a rounded edge, and then peened that pivot head in 3 different points on the circle(rivet). As a result, all that wobbling disappeared for now. Pliers had lined up again. Feels solid and better... But only some cosmetic nuance left back as you can see in the photo :multi: (which is not important for me)

20160715_140106.jpg
* 20160715_140106.jpg (Filesize: 136.46 KB)
20160715_140133.jpg
* 20160715_140133.jpg (Filesize: 141.8 KB)
20160715_140206.jpg
* 20160715_140206.jpg (Filesize: 157.23 KB)
20160715_140407.jpg
* 20160715_140407.jpg (Filesize: 86 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #653 on: July 15, 2016, 04:59:11 PM
Great pics Neo and that is a good deal for the Wingman :cheers:

Good fix of your tool as well :tu:

us Offline Dan B

Reply #654 on: July 16, 2016, 05:31:36 AM
Neo, well done with the pliers, although it's a shame that you had to fix them.

I really like the wood insert as well. Is that held in by some kind of adhesive or simply press fit? Also, what kind of wood did you use?

This has me thinking of ways to make various contrasting inserts for those holes.

If you do the blade swap be sure and post it in the mod forum. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #655 on: July 16, 2016, 08:07:57 AM

I really like the wood insert as well. Is that held in by some kind of adhesive or simply press fit? Also, what kind of wood did you use?

This has me thinking of ways to make various contrasting inserts for those holes.

If you do the blade swap be sure and post it in the mod forum. I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Ive noticed the same issue with the blade hole and opening it can be more difficult than it should, for a oho blade imo... Trying to adjust the pivot screw can make it easier to open, but also give it blade play. So that's a good modification. I haven't tried to fix it but this is a great idea.

multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline cali-SAK-attack

• No Life Club
Reply #656 on: July 16, 2016, 08:47:32 AM
Wingman fan myself.Great tool IMPO  :tu: 8)
 :cheers:
Spring open plier head  :tu:
Outside access knife & scissor tools  :tu:
Pocket clip  :tu:
Decent stock tool load out for the average day to day tasks , & mod-able if wanted  :tu:
Good pricing NEW or used  :tu:
Leatherman tough .......... & their warranty to boot  :tu:
DSCN6586.JPG
* DSCN6586.JPG (Filesize: 193.13 KB)
DSCN6587.JPG
* DSCN6587.JPG (Filesize: 198.87 KB)
DSCN6588.JPG
* DSCN6588.JPG (Filesize: 197.55 KB)
DSCN6585.JPG
* DSCN6585.JPG (Filesize: 198.56 KB)
***CLICK on my pics to see actual sized photo :)

ru Offline Neo

Reply #657 on: July 17, 2016, 04:06:23 AM

I had a cheap wooden 30cm ruler at home. Thickness was good for my need. Example photo:

So that, i just cut a very little piece from it with my wingmans serrated knife and then by filing with the wingman, i had a tight fit size... I was thinking to use some glue, but because of the tight fit, decided there was no need.

us Offline Dan B

Reply #658 on: July 18, 2016, 07:40:51 AM
So that, i just cut a very little piece from it with my wingmans serrated knife and then by filing with the wingman, i had a tight fit size... I was thinking to use some glue, but because of the tight fit, decided there was no need.

Somehow it makes it just that much better that you made it using the tool that it would eventually be installed on.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #659 on: July 18, 2016, 07:33:45 PM

Somehow it makes it just that much better that you made it using the tool that it would eventually be installed on.

Yes that does make it better :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD