Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How To Do Multitool Encyclopedia edits

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
How To Do Multitool Encyclopedia edits
on: April 13, 2016, 08:19:10 PM
This thread is for discussion between Multitool Encyclopedia editors about the wiki. If you have any suggested edits to add to the Multitool Encyclopedia, but don’t wish to be an editor, please state the suggested edit in this thread: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html Even simple things like letting us know about misspelled words and missing punctuation is a big help to us. I (and other editors) will be checking it periodically.

If you wish to become an editor, please say so! Thank you.

Ok Editors, now that that is out of the way, let’s get started. I am pleased to say that all the current articles have been brought up to spec with new code, but we are still missing many, many articles. So, this post has been updated to help focus effort there instead. Please, feel free to post any questions, concerns or ideas here, so that we can discuss them as a team. Now, lets get started!

First up in this crash course, uploading images, and creating new pages! :woohoo:

To upload an image, you must first go to the Picture Gallery. Finding it is easy, It’s on the home page, right here:

Next, select the gallery that you want to upload to. Keep in mind there are multiple pages of galleries, so if you don’t see the one you want, check the next page!

Once you are in the correct Gallery, click Upload image ...

Fill out the form as described and select the image you'd like to upload. Do not upload from an URL, ever. The tikiwiki is... fragile and for some reason that breaks the gallery. :facepalm: Just don't do it, please.

Done.

Now all you have to do is copy the number for that image to the page you're editing. So in this case id is 3666 for the ALOX Solo stock pic.

Keep the pics to a maximal size under 1000px, preferably around 800x600 as the wiki doesn't auto resize nor shrink to fit and a 3500px pic might offer a lot of details but will be a problem to be viewed on most screens. If you want to use another persons pictures, and they do not explicitly state in the post they are ok with them being used elsewhere, please ask that user before uploading them to the wiki (and don’t forget to include that person’s username in the picture description when uploading!). Chako, Def and J-Sews have all given blanket permission to use their pictures from the forum, so feel free to save any of their photos to the gallery.

Ok, now that uploading Images Is taken care of, we get to move on to making new pages!

Creating a new page is actually exceptionally easy (adding content is up to you though!). First you have to identify missing pages. This is pretty easy, just go to the Tool list of your choice, and check if it is there. If the Tool is missing, insert it alphabetically using this code:

*((%%%TOOL NAME%%%))

Most tools will not include the manufacturer name in the Article title, so in order to link to the Leatherman Rebar, you would just put "Rebar" (without the quotes) as the Tool Name. The most notable exception I can think of is the Leatherman Tread, which will have an article name of "Leatherman Tread", due to the prior existence of the Gerber Tread.

Then save the page (don’t forget to say why you edited the page!)

If the tool name is red, that means there is not a page for it. If it is blue, there is a page already created for it, and you will need to make it bold (just add two underscores on either side of the double parenthesis: *__((%%%TOOL NAME%%%))__

To create a page, look to the left side of the screen, at the Quick Edit a Wiki Page. Just type the name of the tool with the missing page, and click “Create/Edit”

Alternatively, you can just click on the red link, and a page will be created for you.

This will take you to a new page, with a blank Edit box. Copy and Paste the Template from the bottom of this page: http://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=Template  and start adding relevant information, pictures and related tools.

If a category has nothing under it (for example, a tool has no know variations, or has no stock sheath) just type “none” under it. Also, please make sure you give credit where credit is due. If you want to add a youtube video, it really needs to be from a MT.Org member, and you need to get permission from that member before posting it. Linking to manufacturers pages is OK, as is any forum discussion and main site review (no citation necessary for those).

One last thing. If you look on the top right of the home page, you will see the option for file galleries. At the moment, there is only one file, Roadie’s Excel multitool spreadsheet. Please, feel free to download this spreadsheet, and add to it (just don’t forget to upload the new sheet when you are done!).  Or, add other relevant files, such as your own spreadsheets, or text documents relating to various tools.

Feel free to post any questions or issues in this thread, or give me a PM. Thank you all again for your help and support.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 05:18:06 PM by Poncho65 »
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: How To Do Multitool Encyclopedia edits
Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 08:22:19 PM
Nice work!

:salute: :tu:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 08:53:51 PM
Thanks for this thread :tu: but will I ever get it :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh  :D

Hopefully ;)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 09:17:07 PM
I have made a few small edits someone check them and make sure I am doing this correctly :ahhh :D If I have either respond here or PM me :tu:

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 09:33:45 PM
Nice work!

Thanks. Want to help?  :pok:

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 09:44:25 PM
Looks good so far Poncho. :tu:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 12:26:08 PM
Nice work!

Not much free time at the moment. This requires some dedication. I'll try to follow what happens and if I have something to contribute I'll let you know.

:cheers: :salute:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 05:58:59 PM
Nice work!

Not much free time at the moment. This requires some dedication. I'll try to follow what happens and if I have something to contribute I'll let you know.

:cheers: :salute:
Thanks. Any little bit helps!

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 06:39:39 PM
And if a mod would be so kind as to copy this post and paste it into the original post (underneath everything), I would be eternally grateful :)

zoid edit: done.   :tu:   :tu:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 11:31:09 PM by zoidberg »

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 16, 2016, 04:54:17 AM
And if...

zoid edit: done.   :tu:   :tu:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 12:20:06 PM by zoidberg »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 05:26:30 AM
I have cleaned up some of the old code and I am trying to bring the Leatheman section up to par as much as I can :tu: I will try for 1 to 2 tools a day depending on how much time I have to do them :cheers: At that rate I should have a page for most of the tools in the next 2-3 weeks :2tu:

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 02:44:40 PM
Fantastic. Thanks a bunch Poncho

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 02:56:23 PM
Fantastic. Thanks a bunch Poncho

The template sure takes a lot of work out of it :2tu:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 11:35:27 AM
I don't have much to add that is constructive, but I would like to say that you guys are doing a great job, and it is fantastic to see someone finally putting effort into building up the MTO Encyclopedia. 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 03:54:56 PM
I don't have much to add that is constructive, but I would like to say that you guys are doing a great job, and it is fantastic to see someone finally putting effort into building up the MTO Encyclopedia. 

Def

My thought (and hope) is that if we have pages created even with a bare minimum of info then others may not be as overwhelmed about helping cause it is a bit overwhelming at the amount of pages that is already in there and still plenty of pages to create :ahhh :D

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 26, 2016, 04:58:42 PM
Thanks Grant. Its comming along slowly, but much of the wiki looks considerably better than it did.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: April 26, 2016, 09:28:50 PM
I'm still in the process of packing, painting etc, but hopefully when things get a bit settled I will be able to contribute a bit more.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: April 26, 2016, 11:28:09 PM
I'm still in the process of packing, painting etc, but hopefully when things get a bit settled I will be able to contribute a bit more.

Def

Just get all your stuff done Boss :tu: You and a few others have done a lot of work on the wiki already :tu: It was a major undertaking just to get what was already done on it :cheers:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: April 26, 2016, 11:48:50 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but Bob has done almost all the work there that you guys started with.  I don't think there's more than two or three pages with my name on them.

:D

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: April 27, 2016, 12:01:32 AM
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but Bob has done almost all the work there that you guys started with.  I don't think there's more than two or three pages with my name on them.

:D

Def

Speaking of Bob have you heard from him lately?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: April 27, 2016, 12:10:16 AM
Yeah, I talk to him on the phone and trade text messages with him from time to time.  He's doing well, but busy as all get out.  I don't know exactly what happened, but as I understand it his retirement plans went wrong and he's working long hours to try and sort things out.

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: April 27, 2016, 12:31:56 AM
Yeah, I talk to him on the phone and trade text messages with him from time to time.  He's doing well, but busy as all get out.  I don't know exactly what happened, but as I understand it his retirement plans went wrong and he's working long hours to try and sort things out.

Def

Glad you still talk to him. I hope he gets all that stuff sorted out. If you talk to him in the next while tell him I said hi. Bob was definitely one of my favorite people on here. He was always a great seeming person and I hope all the retirement stuff gets fixed for him.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: April 27, 2016, 01:04:46 AM
For sure- Bob is a great guy indeed although I wonder if he's taking on more than he should simply because he can sometimes!

Def

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #23 on: April 27, 2016, 09:35:05 AM
Do I have to make the actual edit in order to get the badge?

Could I just post here the text I wrote, and the pics I took, and then someone who knows how to actually do it can do it?   :-\

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: April 27, 2016, 01:10:30 PM
You need to do the edit yourself for the badge.   :pok:

The instructions above are quite good, and you can test you edits in the sandbox to make sure you don't harm anything.  And, worst comes to worst, the Encyclopedia is backed up every day, so if you do manage to create some catastrophic breakdown it can all be restored easily enough.

Def

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #25 on: April 27, 2016, 01:20:00 PM
You need to do the edit yourself for the badge.   :pok:

The instructions above are quite good, and you can test you edits in the sandbox to make sure you don't harm anything.  And, worst comes to worst, the Encyclopedia is backed up every day, so if you do manage to create some catastrophic breakdown it can all be restored easily enough.

Def

I was going to give it a go today, but I requested a passcode and haven't received it yet.  :-\

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: April 27, 2016, 02:54:43 PM
I'm sure sLaughterMed will get back to you as soon as he can.

I'd add you but I've been out of it for a bit and not sure how he wants people added.

Def

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: April 27, 2016, 05:19:10 PM
ReamerPunch, i've sent you a PM about your log in info for the Encyclopedia.

I'd add you but I've been out of it for a bit and not sure how he wants people added.

Def

I just add people the way you added me. I'm currently working on allowing people to register themselves (or at the very least fixing the "request a passcode" function") but so far no dice.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: April 27, 2016, 05:29:10 PM

Def

I just add people the way you added me. I'm currently working on allowing people to register themselves (or at the very least fixing the "request a passcode" function") but so far no dice.

It's probably a safety feature built in to keep some crazy person from damaging the wiki :D That way there is some control over who can and can't edit it ;)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 05:30:45 PM by Poncho65 »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: April 27, 2016, 06:20:54 PM

Def

It's probably a safety feature built in to keep some crazy person from damaging the wiki :D That way there is some control over who can and can't edit it ;)

If not, there should be a way to warrant that not everyone can register and start making changes. It can lead to some "destruction", even if not intentional.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD