Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

CRKT Zilla-Tool Jr.

J-sews · 12 · 6979

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
CRKT Zilla-Tool Jr.
on: February 06, 2008, 04:59:32 AM
It sure is nice to see all the new gadgets from CRKT these days. Last year saw the introduction of their very first multitools, the Guppie and the Zilla-Tool, and this year they've came out with even more. The Li'l Guppie, the Zilla-Tool Jr, the Lumabiner, and the Get-A-Way Driver are all new for 2008. In addition, we got a look at the Extrik-8-R rescue tool and the little Ashworth Turtle knives, both of which Def was particularly smitten with.

Of them all though, the one that catches my fancy is the Zilla-Tool Jr. Much as I like the rounded contours and basic features of the original Zilla, the darn thing is more than I want to carry on most occasions. (In other words, sometimes you can just have too much tool!) The masterminds at the CRKT i.d. Works developement team listened to and read about the feedback on the original, and responded with a drastic weight loss program. The result is the Zilla-Tool Jr, an exact scale replica of its big older brother.

And by exact scale, I do mean exact! Nearly every detail is the same, only smaller. The Junior is a scientifically-calculated 82% of the length, 82% of the width, and 82% of the thickness as compared to the original. Why 82 percent? Because that size reduction is what the i.d. Works gurus determined would achieve an approximate 50% reduction in weight. That's right, the Zilla Junior weighs about half as much as the Zilla-Tool does. (By the way, this same 82%-size-equals-50%-weight formula was used on the Li'l Guppie as well.)

I really like the result of this scale down effort. The original fit my hand well enough, but the Junior fits in my pocket, which means I'm far more likely to have it with me when I need it. And it really doesn't seem as if the utility of the pliers or the knife was compromised that much.

The only unfortunate consequence was the bits and bit driver, previously standard 1/4' hex, are now a special .205" size. (about 5mm, which means even the little 4mm bits from a Victorinox Cybertool will not work) The i.d. Works guys considered leaving the hex receptacle at 1/4" on the Zilla Junior, but finally elected to scale down the hex so as to still fit the bits into now-smaller carrying slots in the handle. Included with the Junior are two bits, both single-ended; a standard flathead and a standard phillips.

(Before you ask, I forgot to inquire about spare bit availability or special bits like torx or hex. Just now sent off an email to our CRKT contact. Hopefully we'll see a quick reply)

CRKT has somewhat addressed the bit size problem by making an adapter available that allows standard 1/4" bits to be used in the Zilla-Junior. As it happens, this same adapter is standard equipment on the Get-A-Way Driver, another new tool for 2008. I'll link to a review of it shortly, but here are a couple pics so you get the idea:

It seems to me that the two of these devices clipped together with the Get-A-Way's carabiner would make a great team.

Almost forgot to mention: the Zilla-Tool Jr is available with either matte stainless finish or black teflon on the metal. Both versions come with black Zytel handles.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 06:44:56 AM by J-sews »
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Re: CRKT Zilla-Tool Jr.
Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 06:58:08 AM
I never got a Zilla-Tool because I thought it was just to big for me to carry, but the Jr looks about the right size. Does that get-away-driver have a ratchet function?
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 07:23:37 AM
I never got a Zilla-Tool because I thought it was just to big for me to carry, but the Jr looks about the right size. Does that get-away-driver have a ratchet function?

No ratchet on the Get-A-Way, but I'm thinking we got the right people's attention with our suggestions. That would certainly make a neat tool into a great tool. :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 07:29:50 AM
"Zilla Tool Jr."

Now, I'm fairly sure "Zilla" means "Shoots Nuclear Rays from Eyes", either that or Big.

So the Big Tool Small...

Kinda dumb...

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 05:26:55 PM
I am still really fond of this tool.  Any indications as to when this will be made available?
I'm back!!

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 10:57:47 PM
Well besides the size of the Zilla I like it. Now that they seem to have a better proportion on it it is just better. However, Is the phillips still a number two or did they go smaller?
S

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 10:59:59 PM
I like it!

I'm actually glad they scaled down the bit driver, keeps the tool in propotion. It would like odd if it had two big bits hanging from the sides.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 03:25:17 AM
I am still really fond of this tool.  Any indications as to when this will be made available?

March/April of this year is what we were told. The CRKT people were adamant that the delivery delays of last year's Zilla and Guppie would not be repeated with this year's new tools.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 03:32:31 AM
.......Is the phillips still a number two or did they go smaller?

I'm not sure about which "number" the phillips screwdriver is. The whole bit is smaller than a 1/4" bit of course. It seemed as if the "driver" portion of the bit was smaller too. :-\

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 11:33:41 AM

March/April of this year is what we were told. The CRKT people were adamant that the delivery delays of last year's Zilla and Guppie would not be repeated with this year's new tools.

So May then yeah. :P
I'm back!!

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 01:07:41 AM
Well I hope it is a number 2 but I think I would still get one anyway. Overall I think the Zilla is a winner, and making it a tad smaller even more of one!
S

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 09:13:35 AM
I don't like the Speed-holes, but for a Minimalist tool, I like it by looks over Leatherman's Skeletool.

having small gropers makes a smaller tool only a good thing in my books.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 09:15:12 AM by Nomad »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD