Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Left-handed OHO for Trekker?

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
on: May 04, 2012, 04:28:43 PM
So...

There I was, on Felinevet's EDCSource site, looking at the list of possible new acquisitions.

I was recently (and very kindly) given a Tinker, and kind of love the tool selection for weight.

But... I get nervous for some reason if I don't have a OHO blade in my EDC, and I'd removed my Delica. So, I kind of had in mind that I'd like to take a look at one of the OHO Vic knives, and hopefully one with all the tools of the Tinker.

Next thing I know (it was late, I was bleary)... I'd hit the purchase button on a Vic Trekker.

So, now that it's on its way, will this thing actually OHO left-handed? It certainly looks like it should. Even if it doesn't, it still looks like an awesome knife, and I'm really looking forward to trying out the Vic saw.

I saw another thread where Grant showed some of his growing collection of Trekkers, so I have hope.

Offline silentio

Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 04:34:25 PM
I'm not left handed but I went to try out my OHT with my left hand and it seems to work fine.

I use the word "fine" loosely as I'm extremely non ambidextrous and had difficulty doing it because of the resistance. But I reckon a left hander should have no problem.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Re: Left-handed OHO for Trekker?
Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 04:36:48 PM
 :tu:

I very much appreciate the effort. Thank you.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 04:38:02 PM
When I had a Trekker I had no difficulty opening it with either hand.  I think you'll be quite pleased with it  :tu:
SAW

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 04:39:51 PM
The Soldiers and OH Trekkers are actually better for lefties than righties. The blade is in the middle layer of 3 layers, and the liner lock is set up to work for lefties.

It is all us righties who complain about them, as we have to use our index finger to release the lock, and it is quite clumsy.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 04:53:20 PM
The OHO Trekker works fine leftie.  As Smaug said, the line locker is easier to disengage for a leftie too.  Good saw, btw--works well on drywall.

That said, it's MUCH bigger than your Spydie.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 05:40:18 PM
This is some good news indeed. You know, for lefties. Sorry for you righties having problems with the lock.

I recall seeing stuff on the awkward-to-use-right-handed liner locks on the blades of the 111mm series, and puzzled greatly over that.

Saw... yup, looking forward to giving it a try.

Bigger than delica... yeah. I'm waffling back and forth on that. I don't think 111mm is any kind of 'rambo knife' but I don't want to draw attention with it either. Even the sharp 'snick' of the Delica blade would draw attention, but it was pretty small. So, we'll see.

Anyway, this is my first 111mm Vic... and my third/forth in total (I've also got a Rambler on the way that'll be my first 58mm).

It's a bit of a step up in weight, 127g (4.5oz) versus 60.5g (2.1oz) for the Tinker but still considerably less than the Wave I have at 8.5oz (241g). The Delica is 52.5g (1.9oz), so adding the weight of a Tinker and Delica together, it's pretty close...113g (4oz)... to the weight of the Trekker.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 06:12:43 PM
They are certainly easier to open left handed that the equivalent Wenger Rangers are.  I liked my Ranger 78 a lot and could get it open left handed but it isn't as easy as the Vic 111mm are.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 06:58:06 PM
Anyone know the blade length on the Trekker?

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 07:07:30 PM
Lynn, I appreciate how your critically review tools and features, so I'm curious to know how you like it. 

The OHO trekker was the only Vic I ever did not like at all and returned.  First, as was mentioned, it felt like it was better for lefties, and also I disliked the blade profile.  The one I had didn't even have a pointed blade, it was round an unsharpened at the tip.  Granted I could have fixed that myself, but overall I was let down and returned it.  I can see how a lefty might prefer the liner lock though.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 10:06:45 PM
I think you'll like it, Lynn.

It is a great combination of the utilitarian points of a tactical folder without losing the tools of a SAK.

My favorite tactical folder is my old Delica. Compared to a Delica, it is a lot thicker in the hand. The blade is a tad longer, but not much. But the way it fills in the palm of the hand is wonderful, compared to the Delica.

On the flip-side, you will probably want a pouch to go with this, or a lanyard to hang it from your belt. It's too long and thick for pocket carry, in my opinion.

Also, I don't know how much you thought about the locking flat screwdriver, but the one on the Trekker/Soldier is WONDERFUL. Best in the industry, I think. Very solid, notably wider at the tip, and notably thicker too.

The saw is easier to use, on account of having a longer stroke, compared to smaller SAKs.

That said, it doesn't replace a smaller SAK. The blade is long enough that it is harder to do any kind of precision work with the tip of the blade.

Then I again, I could be wrong. I thought sure you'd love the Explorer, after all. ;)
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 10:14:59 PM
I think I'd love an Explorer in new condition, with a non-screwed-up phillips. I really need to send that thing off and shut up about it.

I've thought a fair bit about the usefulness of a locking flathead. I saw a video review of the Trekker, and it looks seriously beefy.

I've carried a Delica for about 15 years, off-and-on. It has a busted tip, thanks to me handing it off to someone for a few minutes, and them deciding the fine tip should make a good pry tool.  :rant: I had to file it back to a point so the spine makes a little dip at the tip now.  :-\

I like the Tinker. I like the Delica. I'm assuming the Trekker will be a good combination of the two.

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 02:28:09 AM
Amici,
I also have a OHO trekker as well as the original version, and the Bundeswehr soldier version that's the current issue.

As a "southpaw" I have to say the the OHO works remarkably well as if were designed to be when in all actuality it wasn't.

It seems that most european countries besides being anti-firearms, but most are also anti- anything that could be considered as or used as a weapon.

Since the majority of folks are right handed, it only made sense for the Swiss to develop a design that would prove too cumbersome for the right handed majority to possibly use as a tactical weapon. So there you have it, a loss for the righties, but a big win for the lefties.

I use my OHO Trekker this as my primary EDC when I go off into the field, but in a kydex sheath in a necker configuration. Works remarkably well..

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 02:56:44 AM
Amici,
I also have a OHO trekker as well as the original version, and the Bundeswehr soldier version that's the current issue.

As a "southpaw" I have to say the the OHO works remarkably well as if were designed to be when in all actuality it wasn't.

It seems that most european countries besides being anti-firearms, but most are also anti- anything that could be considered as or used as a weapon.

Since the majority of folks are right handed, it only made sense for the Swiss to develop a design that would prove too cumbersome for the right handed majority to possibly use as a tactical weapon. So there you have it, a loss for the righties, but a big win for the lefties.

I use my OHO Trekker this as my primary EDC when I go off into the field, but in a kydex sheath in a necker configuration. Works remarkably well..

Cheers,
Serge
Well I agree that the SAK isn't designed as a weapon, they get issued these instead:

Not sure how quickly a knife unlocks would affect its use as a weapon either. :think:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 04:33:48 AM
Amici,
I'm guessing that maybe one of the yodeling folks from a Ricola commercial or maybe even Dr. Frankenstein himself could supply the answer on this one!

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 10:07:22 AM
I don't think it has anything to do with weapon or not, if you look at the implements (i.e. single locking liner for both blade and screwdriver) it's simply the best way to arrange them. Quick deployment and closing that we are used to with all the tac folders probably isn't one of the design criteria.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 01:08:28 AM
So let us know what you think of your new OHT Lynn! 

I don't think it has anything to do with weapon or not, if you look at the implements (i.e. single locking liner for both blade and screwdriver) it's simply the best way to arrange them. Quick deployment and closing that we are used to with all the tac folders probably isn't one of the design criteria.
Agreed.  It's meant to be a camp/hike etc. knife, not a 'slink through the jungle and slash throats' kind of knife...   :facepalm:
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 01:15:29 AM
It's here, it's here!!!

Wohooooo!!!!

To answer my own question, and in the event any other left-handed users want to know: Deploying the blade takes more force to overcome the retention than my Spyderco Delica, but once that initial little push is made, it opens as smoothly as the Delica. It is also quite simple to close left-handed... and this is the FIRST knife I've ever encountered like that. Ever.

So... AWESOME!

I also have absolutely no problem deploying the blade right-handed. Closing it is a bit of a trick right-handed though. It probably won't be as big a deal for right-handed folks who have better manual dexterity in that hand, though.

The knife's handle is thicker than the Delica, making grip on the tool better for blade deployment. While the Delica opens easily, keeping your fingers gripped on the handle is a more delicate procedure. Once open, the blade is perfectly stable side-to-side, and has just the tiniest amount for forward/back play (like the thickness of a sheet of paper. I have seen many reviews on this tool, and i know most lock open rock solid. The play in mine is so minimal that it does not matter to me in the least, and I have no fear of the tool failing.

The serrations are insanely sharp. I have a few less layers of skin on my right index finger to testify to the fact.

If I had sculpted a handle to comfortably fit my hand, it would not be far off from the dimensions of this knife. It fits VERY nicely in-hand with blade open. It also seems as though the size of the hole in the blade will allow opening with gloves on with no problem. The texturing on the scale makes it feel like the grip is secure.

I LOVE the locking flathead/cap lifter. It inspires a great deal of confidence. The can opener/small flathead is the same as is found on the 91mm, as is the phillips. The reamer on the Trekker doesn't have the eye hole but is otherwise the same as on my Tinker.

As a solution to replacing Tinker/Delica, I think this Trekker will work out very well. I've never been a huge fan of semi-serrated blades, but if I had to have one, I'd prefer the serrations toward the tip, useful for cutting food, and non-serrate back, useful for cutting wood where it's better to have good leverage. We'll see how this works out, but initial impression is almost all positive.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 02:23:20 AM
Isn't it nice to see a lefty-friendly option to something?  :tu:  I have a New Soldier, it lives in my bag, and it's a great knife.  Now, Lynn, for the big question - how does the 111mm handle affect can opener performance?  :pok:  :)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 03:02:13 AM
 :rofl:

As of yet, untested, but I assume no performance improvement or degradation. :D

us Offline Donald

Reply #20 on: May 08, 2012, 03:27:05 AM
I carry my SG OH PE Trekker a good bit and like it. With use, familiarity, or the right lubricant, it seems to open fine for me. I only comment because I have seen a couple of complaints. Maybe that would be true for Wenger Rangers too, but I find those very hard to open. I agree the Trekker is more a left handed design. I can close it OK as a righty, but find it closes better with my left hand or if one turns it top down, in other words with backtools facing up. Then one can more easily use the R hand index finger to push the lock over. Two hands work too. ;)  I probably usually drag the locking bar over with my thumb, but the left hand is better.

I am sure there are good design reasons to mate with the associated parts such as backsprings, backtools, and the like for the way the knife is designed. Still I can easily visualize the left handed designer chuckling every time he walks by the Trekker assembly area.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #21 on: May 08, 2012, 04:21:52 AM
I love those Stay-glow scales. I would have preferred them to the black on mine, but the price was great on this, so I took what I could get. I would have also preferred the non-serrated blade. Hey, Donald... wanna trade? :D

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #22 on: May 08, 2012, 04:26:51 AM
Glad to hear you're happy with the one-handed Trekker, Lynn.

There are times when I wish it was a full plain edge, but I always have the Rambler for that, if needed.

Why don't you try carrying just that for a week or so, and let us know how it goes?
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Donald

Reply #23 on: May 08, 2012, 04:29:02 AM
No thank you Lynn. I like the SG too. :) I really think they should make the SG PE OH Trekker a standard item. I know people looking for them.

The serrations cut great, but I prefer the plain edge. If they made the serrated blade symmetrical I would like them better. I have seen another design slots cut with a laser or something, but the only one I can think of are the ones that Chris Reeve does on those knives of his that had some serrations. That way they can be sharpened on a flat stone and they are symmetrical, i.e. same angle on both sides of the edge. While I'm wishing, wish they were plus scales!  :cheers:

us Offline Donald

Reply #24 on: May 08, 2012, 04:32:11 AM
P.S. More StayGlow!

Lynn you get a StayGlow Classic as a companion to your OH Trekker.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #25 on: May 08, 2012, 07:40:53 AM
Donald... now you're just rubbing salt in my wound, aren't you? :D

This tool has gone into my EDC, and I'll see what I think of it as a replacement for the Tinker and Delica. So far, I have a very favorable feeling about it.

It, along with my two keychain scale MTs are still lighter than the Leatherman Wave (which would be the other OHO alternative available to me at the moment).

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 10:29:26 PM
Inspired a bit by this thread, I decided to carry my New Soldier in place of my Kershaw Needs Work and separate SAK.  I like the New Soldier and have played with it quite a bit, but really haven't used it much for some reason.  The past two days have fixed that.  The verdict?  It's going to be going to work with me again tomorrow.  :tu:  didn't miss my OHO Kershaw at all.  In fact, the serrated blade works better as a cardboard box buster.  The other tools did everything my usual SAK does - prying, driving screws, opening tint cans, and it even put a new hole in my belt (in a good direction  :) ).  The only thing I was missing were scissors and T&T, but that was no big deal with my ever present Executive on my keys.  It's a bit big for casual carry, but damn is it a worker.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 10:57:09 PM
And your gift of the Tinker got me interested in the Vics. So, kind of a Karmic circle. Very glad you're finding joy in your Soldier.

gb Offline Pignut71

Reply #28 on: May 10, 2012, 12:36:56 AM
Have you tried using the saw for any period of time?

I found the Trekka pretty uncomfortable when using the saw due to the OHO hole sitting proud of the knife. For this reason I bought a Forrester for play time in the woods and retired the Trekka to the "box of many shiny things that aren't used much".

I came to the conclusion that comfort during use and a plain edge blade were more important to me than speedy blade deployment. Both great knives of course, they would be because they are SAK's!

Atb, Jon.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #29 on: May 10, 2012, 12:59:02 AM
I don't do anything that requires a saw on a day-to-day basis. The OHO is one of the reasons I got the Trekker. It's replaced a Delica and Tinker in my EDC, having the saw at all is just kind of a bonus.

I've just today done my first work with the Trekker saw, and it was actually the best of the bunch of MTs that I tested for ability/comfort. The saw test...
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,37422.0.html

If I had to do any large amount of sawing, I'd rather have a dedicated saw.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%