Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fisherman's micro fish tool

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Fisherman's micro fish tool
on: March 22, 2008, 07:30:35 AM
Do you have any experience with this tool? This is made using German technology.

Click here -----> Link

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Fisherman's micro fish tool
Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 08:40:28 AM
Sorry mate, I've never even seen it before.
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 10:15:45 AM
Do you have any experience with this tool? This is made using German technology.

Click here -----> Link

Hey edap617, I've been curious about the Coast multis myself.

Some of the smaller Coast pocket tools are very reasonably priced and might be a decent option for pocket/keychain tools.

AFAIK, Coast products are designed in Germany but are all manufactured in China to be marketed in western countries.

Coast products are widely available in the US at hardware stores like Lowes, department stores like Target, and various outdoor stores.

I've owned a few models of Coast flashlights.  Build quality and functionality vary from rather poor to excellent, depending on the model.  Going by the many reviews of Coast flashlights that I've read, the quality/functionality variability holds true across the lineup of Coast models.

That same variable quality may well be true of Coast multis.

N

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 10:27:03 AM
Thanks for the info on Coast products, Ringzero.

Actually, I am planing to buy a Coast 2 AA LED flashlight. May I ask for your advice if this particular model is okay.

Eddie

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 11:11:49 AM
Thanks for the info on Coast products, Ringzero.

Actually, I am planing to buy a Coast 2 AA LED flashlight. May I ask for your advice if this particular model is okay.

Eddie

Coast makes so many flashlight models that I'm not certain which 2AA you mean.

Here's a good place to start:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/coast_round-up.htm

May not have a review of your model, but will give you an decent overall view of Coast flashlights.

Another good place to check for reviews is "The LED Museum."

I'd generally avoid Coast flashlights, unless you can buy them locally at low prices.

Coast makes a few models that rate good-to-excellent, but many lower-priced Coast lights leave a lot to be desired.

In other words:  unless you find a review saying a certain specific Coast model is really good, then I wouldn't buy a Coast flashlight.

There are other manufacturers offering more reliable, higher quality lights for competitive prices:  Streamlight, Princeton Tec, Underwater Kinetics, even Mag.

Streamlight and Underwater Kinetics are my personal favorite brands.

Streamlight offers an excellent 2AA light for 18 bucks that is:  safety-rated, drop-tested, waterproof, nearly indestructible, and has a lifetime warranty.
http://www.brightguy.com/products/Streamlight_2AA_LED_ProPolymer_Flashlight.php

This 2AA light is all most people would ever need for close to medium distance applications and it will outlast many years of abuse.

The entire Streamlight ProPolymer lineup of lights is really, really tough.  I've abused the hell out of mine and have never had a failure.

N

Offline bobofish

Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 11:31:58 AM
Coast is headquartered in Portland, OR same as Leatherman. I'm not sure if they've been bought out by somebody in Germany, it's possible. As far as I know however, they are Portland based.

Their tools are almost exclusively made in China to I'm sorry to say fairly low quality. They might hold up for some people but they're not good enough for me. For what it's worth. Among the Chinese made brands, they don't hold up even to Gerber standards.

I've seen this tool in sporting goods stores locally, and it looks a bit gimmicky. I would never buy one myself, so that colors the review I'm sure. I do spend time looking at gadgets even if I'm not interested though. This particular tools is a knock-off of the micra with "fisherman's" pliers instead of scissors and little tiny scissors in the body; the scissors in a wave are already on the verge of too small for cutting tough stuff on the water; something small enough to fit a micra I can't imagine being of any use at all.

Frankly you're better off with a micra and one of those medical pliers. That's what I used on the river for many years, and it's an adequate combo to accomplish any fly knots, braided line cuts, etc.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 11:58:20 AM
Coast is headquartered in Portland, OR same as Leatherman. I'm not sure if they've been bought out by somebody in Germany, it's possible. As far as I know however, they are Portland based.

IIRC, Coast is the American division of a German company called Zweibruder.  Zweibruder products are supposedly German-designed, but AFAIK they're all made in China.

Design and quality control across their flashlight lineup is not great:  a few excellent models, some decent models, and many crappy, low quality models.

N

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 01:47:52 PM
The only Coast model I have is the Fishing Multitool:

http://www.multitool.org/miscellaneous-tools/small-tools/coast-fishing-buddy.html

Decent enough for an inexpensive tool, but not a big money item.  If it's typical of Coast's quality then it's not bad at all.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Biru

Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 06:52:29 PM
I bought my brother-in-law one of those two years ago, but the tool came without the light. He's fairly abusive of equipment and the Coast has held up so far. It's mostly medium-duty at best, but holds up for fishing duty. I have no idea about the light though.

Regards, Bill.

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 03:46:39 AM
Ringzero,

I don't know yet what model of 2AA Coast LED flashlight to buy. Will do some reasearch first. I would be very glad if you have something in mind to recommend.

Thanks again.

Eddie

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 07:22:05 AM
I've had Coast lights for years (got em free from trade shows) and I like them. I wouldn't pay the retail prices they sell them for,
like stated you can get better for the same or less cash. The QC is fair or better for me, the functions are good, the look is great, the overall
time performance (mine) is good, lasted long, never broke, did the job.

I have a head lamp that was very bright when I got it, the brightest of several that a group of us had, they had different brands
(we used them at work at a museum) and it has lasted a long time on it's batteries.

I have 2 regular hand held flashlights, one multicolored (white, red, green, blue Leds) and one pen like, like the one in the package with the multitool
(red Led) and it works nice.

I bet after using that multitool for fishing it would be stinky! :ahhh

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 08:20:22 AM
Chief, thank you so much for the link.

WhichDawg, actually my friend who is now on tour in the USA will buy the flashlight for me. We just had a talk over the phone and I already gave him the go signal to buy the Cost flashlight. I don't know yet what model, but my friend said he is satisfied with the workmanship and the brightness. Just very recently he got 2 Led Lenser & 1 Surefire but he is not well versed on the technical specs.

Eddie

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 08:32:51 AM
Ringzero,

I don't know yet what model of 2AA Coast LED flashlight to buy. Will do some reasearch first. I would be very glad if you have something in mind to recommend.

Thanks again.

Eddie

Sorry if my response seemed ambiguous, Eddie - I'll try to make it clearer.

DON'T buy any Coast flashlight unless:

-it's available at a local store for a very cheap price.

-you want a cheap flashlight that can be used a few times for non-critical tasks, then be replaced cheaply when it fails.

-it's one of the few Coast models with good reviews.

This model in particular:
http://www.brightguy.com/products/Coast_Tactical.php
gets very good reviews and has a devoted fanbase over on CPF.  Supposedly it offers very good "bang for the buck" with decent build quality.  It's also available at Lowes for $50.

Any model on this page:
http://www.brightguy.com/manufacturer/coast.php
should be OK.  Brightguy won't knowingly sell junk, so the Coast models he offers have to meet some minimal standard.

Why are you set on Coast?

There are better lights available from other manufacturers at equal or cheaper prices.

N

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 03:48:21 PM
Ringzero,

I am not set on any particular brand. I got interested in LED flashlight when Calvin gave me a 3 AAA flashlight as one of the prizes last January.  I then got my second flashlight (1 AAA) few weeks later. Below is the link to my post pertaining to my 1 AAA flashlght a while back.

My 1 AAA flashlight

While I am gradually learning about LED flashlights I will start with inexpensive models and my second consideration is battery availability and cost. That's why I got interested with 2 AA models this time since by 2 flaslights are all AAA models.

I did some research before my friend left and I told him to get me a Fenix L2D. However, he called up and asked me if it’s ok to also get me a Coast 2AA while he is still looking for the Fenix L2D. That’s the reason why I asked if Coast 2 AA flashlight is ok.

Thank you so much.

Eddie

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 23, 2008, 05:38:01 PM
I got to this post a little late! IMO, the Coast Flashlights are phenomenal.. But the tools they offer IMO are junk. I have that micro fishing tool and to be honest it is not that great!
B

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD