Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The ONE

ph Offline dmanuel

Re: The ONE
Reply #60 on: February 20, 2014, 01:16:56 PM
Folder:
Spyderco Delica 4

Fixed:
BHK Muk

How do you like your ONE? There are so many versions of the Delica 4? Serated, non-serated, combo?
(Image removed from quote.)

:worthless:

Plain edge with stainless grip. Not the most functional grip but I love the feel, weight, and looks of it.

Sorry, I didn't bring a Spyderco with me to Philippines (I'm from USA) so I can't provide any pics. I did however bring one of my Muk's with me for camping trips. Says something that it is the only fixed blade I travel with. I will try to get some pictures of it tomorrow when the sun is up!

ph Offline dmanuel

Reply #61 on: February 21, 2014, 05:40:21 AM
BHK Muk

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #62 on: February 26, 2014, 04:34:54 AM
Would have to be a Vic Climber  :climber:
Perception is reality

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #63 on: October 18, 2015, 05:05:55 PM
Long overdue update...

For quite a while my ONE had some competition from other very nice knifes, the Klötzli ACC1-C, the Spyderco Native 5 and Dragonfly II.There were others, but non of them got carried a lot. All three are incredibly nice knifes.

The Native 5 has a very sturdy blade, comfortable grip.
The ACC1-C has one of the nicest blades with hollow grind and an excellent edge. Of all the folders I have handled it opens the smoothest.
The Dragonfly II is like the Natives little brother, light weight and with its yellow scales a bit brighter than the others.
one_update_01.jpg
* one_update_01.jpg (Filesize: 127.04 KB)
one_update_02.jpg
* one_update_02.jpg (Filesize: 214.63 KB)
one_update_03.jpg
* one_update_03.jpg (Filesize: 88.95 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #64 on: October 18, 2015, 05:09:54 PM
Does that mean THE ONE got retired? Not at all in fact, none of them pose a real threat.

All of them are way more expensive from 3x (Dragonfly) to 7x (Klötzli) and 8x (Native 5), so I worry much more about loosing them.
The Native is a lot heavier and its pocket clip is a bust (bent within the first weeks). The Klötzli is still much heavier and the Dragonfly II while not heavier is much smaller. So what to do? Buy more Ropers, just in case it gets discontinued :D
one_update_04.jpg
* one_update_04.jpg (Filesize: 232.95 KB)

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #65 on: October 19, 2015, 06:43:43 AM
Horrible question but one that does have an answer.

If I could have one folding knife it would be my Spyderco PM2 in 204P

us Offline hrvstmn31

Reply #66 on: October 19, 2015, 08:03:42 AM
Crap picture great knife.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #67 on: October 19, 2015, 10:38:18 AM
Horrible question but one that does have an answer. [...]
The secret is to read between the lines and realize that the true question is:
WHY? What makes your favorite folder?
I realized for me its the following:
- Blade shape (This shape is perfect for me, from food preparation to various cutting tasks)
- Weight (I love that my Roper is so light)
- Easy of carry (Thin and rides nice and deep with the pocket-clip)
- OHO
- Lock (OHC, One Handed Closing)
- Price, I simply don't feel that comfortable with an expensive knife in my pockets (too afraid to loose it)

Things I don't care so much.
- Blade steel (ever since I learned to sharpen, edge retention is not that important)
- Brand (who cares)

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #68 on: October 19, 2015, 08:13:43 PM
My cold steel mini ak 47 with the new cts xhp steel.
It is extremely light. About a 100 grams, lock up is bullet proof, easily closed and opened with one hand. Fits my large hand very well in normal grip and reversed grip.
My cons are the coatings used on the knife. The thumb plate is costed with a porous coating that wears off very easily. The blade is DLC coated and only wears when it is in contact with metal or stone objects and the lock bar/pommel is coated with a coating similiar to the old tuff lite paint that wears pretty easily.
So you get a perfect blade with no wear, a thumb plate that is shiny, and a pommel that is scratched.
I would like to see all the parts DLC coated.
I also like the previous g10 roughness more, although it works like a file on everything you carry in your pocket.
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 110.45 KB)

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #69 on: October 21, 2015, 12:16:59 AM
Does that mean THE ONE got retired? Not at all in fact, none of them pose a real threat.

All of them are way more expensive from 3x (Dragonfly) to 7x (Klötzli) and 8x (Native 5), so I worry much more about loosing them.
The Native is a lot heavier and its pocket clip is a bust (bent within the first weeks). The Klötzli is still much heavier and the Dragonfly II while not heavier is much smaller. So what to do? Buy more Ropers, just in case it gets discontinued :D

You know, the more I look at it the more I'm tempted. Could you comment on handle strength of the Roper?
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #70 on: October 21, 2015, 09:57:24 AM

You know, the more I look at it the more I'm tempted. Could you comment on handle strength of the Roper?
I am very happy with it.
It does not have metal inlays/frame or anything, yet it's very stiff. It is less solid (but not to a point where I notice in my everyday use) than a top of the line folder like the Spyderco Native 5. What really makes this folder for me is that it's medium sized, very light (60g), good price. Its thin without being too thin leading to a great handle ergonomics. Finally, the blade-shape agrees with my usage.

Hey, and if you don't like it you can always sell it to me (at a reasonable price)... where there is room for 5, there is room for 6 :D
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 10:02:29 AM by Etherealicer »

gr Offline firiki

Reply #71 on: October 21, 2015, 10:45:42 AM

I am very happy with it.
It does not have metal inlays/frame or anything, yet it's very stiff. It is less solid (but not to a point where I notice in my everyday use) than a top of the line folder like the Spyderco Native 5. What really makes this folder for me is that it's medium sized, very light (60g), good price. Its thin without being too thin leading to a great handle ergonomics. Finally, the blade-shape agrees with my usage.

Hey, and if you don't like it you can always sell it to me (at a reasonable price)... where there is room for 5, there is room for 6 :D

:D :D I hear you; I did that with the Pioneer/Soldier model, you're doing it with the Roper.

Size-wise I think the Roper will be great in my hands, the blade's size and shape seem good, the handles seem comfy -no hotspots I can detect except the clip  >:D - and I like the finger choil on the blade :tu: Very tempting at that price, too.

I was wondering about the handles; I've seen them listed as Zytel and as fiberglass reinforced plastic. What I want to know is how durable they are, can they take a few falls on a rock for example? How easy are they to clean (have you put it in the dishwasher)?

I'd also love to know whether the handles are slippery and if they do flex thus resulting in loosening the Torx pivot (that's the one thing I don't like)? 

Thanks in advance :)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #72 on: October 21, 2015, 12:38:22 PM
I was wondering about the handles; I've seen them listed as Zytel and as fiberglass reinforced plastic. What I want to know is how durable they are, can they take a few falls on a rock for example? How easy are they to clean (have you put it in the dishwasher)?

I'd also love to know whether the handles are slippery and if they do flex thus resulting in loosening the Torx pivot (that's the one thing I don't like)? 

Thanks in advance :)
how durable they are: Carried mine for about over 3 years almost daily, same pocket as the keys
How easy are they to clean: Lazy me, so yes in the dishwasher...
I'd also love to know whether the handles are slippery: not at all
flex thus resulting in loosening the Torx pivot: Not that much flex, never had that problem, never even felt that the lock is unstable or anything (although I never used a rock as hammer on it to split wood).

gr Offline firiki

Reply #73 on: October 21, 2015, 12:45:40 PM
Thank you very much. I think I'm sold :salute:

I was wondering how you managed to mar the finish around the thumb hole!

I have no intention of batoning with it :dwts:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #74 on: May 20, 2016, 01:51:06 PM
I was wondering how you managed to mar the finish around the thumb hole!
Just realized that there is an open question here... I know it's just an excuse for a thread necro :D

I think that comes from banging on the keys, the finish obviously comes off at corners first and the hole is completely exposed.

Btw, I still carry mine daily, still going strong, still very happy with the design, still hoping for a not as tactical version of this...

gr Offline firiki

Reply #75 on: May 20, 2016, 04:12:38 PM
[...] still hoping for a not as tactical version of this...

How do you envision this less tactical version?

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #76 on: May 20, 2016, 06:37:21 PM

I would be good if the blade was not blacked out, that is all. It would be super swell if they made other handle colors of course.

They actually did a limited run but it is serrated and well...

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #77 on: May 20, 2016, 07:20:02 PM
My one is a humble Opinel Couteaux de Jardin #8. Proven in myriads of everyday peaceful tasks.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #78 on: May 20, 2016, 11:23:48 PM
Zero Tolerance 0452CF. Sold most of my knives because I don't need them anymore. This is the ONE. Makes my PM2 feel like a cheap toy. What can I say? I have never hold better knife than this, even multiple thousand dollar customs, or really expensive mid techs. It has never flipped half way and I don't even think its possible. I have tried. I have cut metal with it. Hangers and some springs. Easy. Still trying to find better of course. It has one bad thing to it....  Takes like a month to break it in.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline cody6268

Reply #79 on: May 21, 2016, 02:14:46 AM
The one, non-SAK knife I have that I feel I could be put up against anything with would be this Buck 110.  Large, tough, and razor sharp, it can handle anything.

Photo0534 by cody6268, on Flickr

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #80 on: May 21, 2016, 08:16:00 AM
This one.
The One.jpg
* The One.jpg (Filesize: 148.96 KB)
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #81 on: May 26, 2016, 12:33:29 AM
Correction: This is the ONE.
The ONE that fits your hand best.
The ONE with the blade shape you like best.
The ONE with the prefect weight.
The ONE that just feels right.
The ONE you carry the most.
The ONE you would marry if you could.
The ONE that is just right in every way
The ONE to RULE THEM ALL!

Simply, if you could have only one folder, which one would it be? why?
Perfect in every way, for me.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 12:36:40 AM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

gr Offline firiki

Reply #82 on: May 26, 2016, 12:49:27 AM

I would be good if the blade was not blacked out, that is all. It would be super swell if they made other handle colors of course.

They actually did a limited run but it is serrated and well...
(Image removed from quote.)

Missed this one, sorry  :-[

Shinny blade and not serrated I understand but I think girl power is way too tactical for me  :ahhh  :D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 12:50:39 AM by firiki »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69