Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Got my new Skinth in the mail yesterday!

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Got my new Skinth in the mail yesterday!
on: March 07, 2014, 12:56:16 AM
Oh Happy Day! Got my new Skinth in the mail yesterday. OG in ACU pattern, with a few options. I got the straps on the front because I typically have to carry a Sharpie and/or Vis-a-vis at work when I am doing my morning checks. Went with the D-ring attachment at the bottom because we have a 'biner LOADED with keys that get carried around everywhere and this will easily facilitate. And of course penta-pocket (standard now?) because, you know, you can never have too many pockets :D

I was a little worried about the ACU pattern clashing with the ABU that the Air Force has us wearing these days, as they sometimes tend to clash, but as you can see - perfect match.

Now then, just need to get some more goodies to fill it up  :D

Huge thanks to Metro, for such great execution of an amazing product. I WILL be showing this off to all my work buddies and plugging Skinth Solutions as much as possible! ;)
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Re: Got my new Skinth in the mail yesterday!
Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 04:26:32 AM
That looks awesome!
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 06:11:25 AM
Great! How long did you wait?

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 01:10:47 PM
Nice Skinth!

...and, if the question is allowed, what would be the difference between ACU and ABU - And what do teh abbrevations mean?

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 04:31:07 PM
Nice Skinth!

...and, if the question is allowed, what would be the difference between ACU and ABU - And what do teh abbrevations mean?

No problem Lowtech, prepare for info overload :)

The ACU is the Army Combat Uniform, the ABU is the Airman Battle Uniform. In the early 2000s, in the wake of the Marine Corps adopting their own battle uniform (the MARPAT), the US Army began searching for a universal camo pattern that could replace both the woodland and desert battle dress uniform currently in use. After very much expense, they chose the Universal Camouflage Pattern as the best performing pattern out of a multitude of others (including Multicam) and introduced the new camo pattern and uniform, called the ACU, in 2004.

ACU

The US Air Force quickly followed suit, but wanted to be distinguishable from the Army. They first tested a blue-ish tiger stripe patterned uniform before deciding the Army's color pallet was better. So the Air Force ABU wound up keeping the tiger stripes, digitizing it, and going with a very similar color pattern and introducing it in late 2007.

ABU

Most people have never seen the blue ABU. Even a lot of Airmen know nothing of its existence.

Smurf ABU

The probem is that even the best universal pattern is usually not very good (at best) in any specific environment. So the USAF began deploying Airmen in the Army's new threads. Then, the Army decided the ACU was not suitable in Afghanistan, and began deploying Soldiers in Multicam. The Air Force again followed suit, and now, both branches deploy with Multicam. The talk in the Department of Defense now is a return to similar camo patterns for all branches of the military as it had been in the 80's and 90's. With Multicam being the most heavily mentioned as a replacement at this time ::)

Multicam
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 06:33:08 PM by rdub934 »
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 05:02:51 PM
Great! How long did you wait?

A little over a month. It was like waiting for Christmas morning!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 09:43:14 PM
Nice Skinth and good info!

While we're on the subject of abbreviations, what does OG stand for?
- Terry

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 10:09:16 PM
I clicked on this thread to check out a Skinth.  I must say I really enjoyed reading about the camo uniforms and their history.  Fantastic post.  :tu:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 10:21:55 PM
I ordered and payed on the 10th of February, almost a month ago. I hope that I'll follow soon. I order a CMB pattern.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 12:12:14 AM
I clicked on this thread to check out a Skinth.  I must say I really enjoyed reading about the camo uniforms and their history.  Fantastic post.  :tu:
Same here. Good read.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 02:16:01 AM
Nice Skinth!

No problem Lowtech, prepare for info overload :)

The ACU is the Army Combat Uniform, the ABU is the Airman Battle Uniform. In the early 2000s, in the wake of the Marine Corps adopting their own battle uniform (the MARPAT), the US Army began searching for a universal camo pattern that could replace both the woodland and desert battle dress uniform currently in use. After very much expense, they chose the Universal Camouflage Pattern as the best performing pattern out of a multitude of others (including Multicam) and introduced the new camo pattern and uniform, called the ACU, in 2004.

ACU

The US Air Force quickly followed suit, but wanted to be distinguishable from the Army. They first tested a blue-ish tiger stripe patterned uniform before deciding the Army's color pallet was better. So the Air Force ABU wound up keeping the tiger stripes, digitizing it, and going with a very similar color pattern and introducing it in late 2007.

ABU

Most people have never seen the blue ABU. Even a lot of Airmen know nothing of its existence.

Smurf ABU

The probem is that even the best universal pattern is usually not very good (at best) in any specific environment. So the USAF began deploying Airmen in the Army's new threads. Then, the Army decided the ACU was not suitable in Afghanistan, and began deploying Soldiers in Multicam. The Air Force again followed suit, and now, both branches deploy with Multicam. The talk in the Department of Defense now is a return to similar camo patterns for all branches of the military as it had been in the 80's and 90's. With Multicam being the most heavily mentioned as a replacement at this time ::)

Multicam

nice explanation.   I grew up loving militaria and Camo,  funny I did 10 years in the Navy, then right after I get out, they start issuing Camo!  :rant:   oh well, I think Navy Camo is a bad idea on a ship,  good luck if you are the man over-board! 
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 03:16:23 AM
Nice Skinth and good info!

While we're on the subject of abbreviations, what does OG stand for?

Best guess, OG = Original Gangster

Can anyone confirm?

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 03:26:09 AM
detron, I fully agree with you about the Navy's new camo. I believe it would make Seamen nearly impossible to see if they were to drop into the water.

I will say, a similar problem exists for the ABU. I used to work on the flightline, and even though the ABU looks like a lot of sage green, slate, and tan - it blends very, VERY well with concrete and asphalt. So driving around on the flightline with Airmen running around wearing this uniform is hazardous.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 10:11:11 AM
I guess tha OG doesn't count for Olive Grab

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69