Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ombudsman's MT.O Coin Design

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Ombudsman's MT.O Coin Design
on: April 04, 2014, 01:44:00 AM
Well, as some of you already know during the last months I have been (and still I am) very busy with a project startup. So I have very little time to devote to other activities other than get reasonably enough sleep. That said, here are some ideas I have been working on during flights and time offs 

At first I was thinking about concepts like teamwork, knowledge, collaboration and I tried to represent them with mulltitools in a handshake, but then I realized that more than that MT.O is about celebrating Friendship and Multitools. 

So I decided to go with that idea and got a “High Five” than represents both friendship and multitools in a cheerful way.

The idea for the reverse of the coin is an amalgam of several ideas I had and some concepts that I have seen on other MT.O Coin threads  :tu:

a Mitsutomoe/Triskelion symbol representing the 3 dynamic and all conected types of multitools: Plier based, Knife Based, and One Piece Tools.

Which in turn also spells MT.O with the hexagonal dot at the center of the composition. 

Still a work in progress, I want to change the stylized SAK "T" for one made with two SAKS symbolizing Victorinox & Wenger...
Also I need to include the Year 2014 somewhere.., Maybe in the sleeves of the hands  :think:
Anyway... Hope u like them and any comments are well received  :salute:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Ombudsman's MT.O Coin Design
Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 02:13:57 AM
That is a really slick design- I like that a lot!

Very original- I had never before seen or thought of the idea of two hands forming a plier head like that.  It kind of puts me in mind of Multimat's MTO handshake.

Very cool design!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 03:45:30 AM
That is very cool!! Job well done!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 01:18:29 PM
That high five/multitool idea is excellent. And same as Grant, MTO handshake was the first thought. :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 01:25:41 PM
very nice mate. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 01:45:44 PM
That high five/multitool idea is excellent. And same as Grant, MTO handshake was the first thought. :D
With the sun in the background I first thought its pro gay-marriage :rofl:, kidding its super :tu:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gb Offline Tofty

Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 05:26:18 PM
It's a really nice design, pretty much perfect as is, with all the graphics well scaled and pleasantly stylised.
Although being super picky, the "high five" looks a little like hands in prayer and that along with the shirt design, cross symbol, light in the background and the positive message, makes me think of evangelical Christians. Not that that's a bad thing and it's probably just in my head, but i found the similarities amusing none the less.
I think putting the year on the sleeves is a good idea.

The religious theme continues onto the back with the Shinto tomoe, but it works as a nice stylish design.
I would say leave the SAK as it is, as it's generic enough to be a Victorinox, Wenger or any other similarly designed SAK, in the same way that the plier based tool could be a Leatherman, Gerber, SOG or a million others.
I think the one-piece tool could do with a little more detail; perhaps some hex definition in the middle and/or a prying wedge on one end?

Anyway that's what i think could be changed, but it's an excellent entry.
Pictures of most of my work can be found on my Facebook Page.
Also have a look at my Shapeways Shop and SW Torch Shop for 3D printed items.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 05:55:17 PM
I love the back side.
The hands look like praying to me too. The cross helps to impress that. I don't like the sun and Friendship, maybe you could apply a verb or the 2014 there. Anyway, it is 80% perfect, it just needs some fine tuning. Otherwise it is one of the most complete and harmonic designs. Bravo!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 05:56:42 PM
Put the cross on the SAK. Without shield or rectangular, as a generic Swiss symbol, both for Vic and Wenger.

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 09:15:42 PM
I like your design a lot. Hands are perfect...

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 09:18:22 PM
I like this one too. :tu:
Leatherman

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 03:43:33 AM
Thanks for all the comments and feedback !  :salute:

Respect the religious symbolism. It was on purpose, mostly because I like to joke about our devotion to multitools being close to a worship or enough to start a church:D

As a matter of fact, I was tempted to use the phrase: “Do you have a moment to talk about Multitools ?” on the other side.   :rofl:

Other phrase I was thniking on, is: “Don’t be a tool – Be a Multitool !” a variation of this one

Anyway, I will consider your comments to make the appropriate adjustments and post them as soon as I can for review.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 11:47:47 AM
Very nice idea and great graphics. And yes, I think I like this community more than i like multitools.

The backside is really nice... best variation of this idea.

I'm not a big fan of the frontside, due to the same reasons as Tofty:

Although being super picky, the "high five" looks a little like hands in prayer and that along with the shirt design, cross symbol, light in the background and the positive message, makes me think of evangelical Christians.

Put the cross on the SAK. Without shield or rectangular, as a generic Swiss symbol, both for Vic and Wenger.

Nope.. you can't do that. I think the Swiss cross is copywrited by the Swiss Government... Vic themselves received special permission to put that on their knives - this is why you don't see sak-alikes with crosses.
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 12:12:03 PM
The national emblem of the Swiss Confederation is an upright, free-standing white cross in a red field, whose equal arms are each one sixth longer than wide.

If one puts a colorless cross with precise rectangular arms, there shouldn't be a problem (and nowhere says Swiss Made of course).

Are there other requirements for using the Swiss cross?
Yes.
Using the Swiss cross may not in any way be inappropriate or misleading and may not violate public morality or convention or be against current law.
A misleading use occurs when the Swiss cross is used in a way that objectively creates a false impression, for example of an official relationship to the State. For example, the use of the Swiss cross in connection with a private service and consulting firm for Visa issues is misleading if the user of the service could assume that the consulting firm is an official agency.
The use of the Swiss cross can be prohibited in particularly severe cases under the term “violation of public morality” when the use is disrespectful towards Switzerland or potentially disturbing to diplomatic relationships.
The use of the Swiss cross is against convention if it is disrespectful towards the Swiss flag or the Confederation. The image of the Swiss cross on a door mat (mud wiper) is not necessarily against public morality, for example. However, in the case of sexually objectionable or clearly racist images, a violation of public morality clearly exists, even if the corresponding requirements under Swiss criminal law for such an act have not been met.
Finally, the use of the Swiss cross may not be contrary to valid law. In this connection, the Federal Law on the Protection of Emblem and the Name of the Red Cross (in German, French or Italian) prohibits the “Red Cross” and any confusingly similar signs from being affixed to products. In certain cases such as when the Swiss cross is affixed to medicinal products and could be confused with the Red Cross, the use of the Swiss cross is therefore banned.

Are the color and size of the Swiss cross and the Swiss flag defined in the new amendment?
Yes.
The Swiss cross is a perpendicular, free-standing, white cross, each arm of which is one-sixth longer than it is wide, on a red background. The red background is square.
The exact size of the Swiss flag as well as the proportions of the cross and the square background is regulated in an appendix. The ‘red’ color is also defined. This corresponds to a general need and should eliminate ambiguity when reproducing the Swiss cross, for example, on documents, brochures or packaging.

Can the Swiss cross be registered as a trademark?
Yes.
The Swiss cross belongs to the public domain; this means that it must remain available to all market participants. Thus it may not be the only element of the trademark. In other words, the Swiss cross must be combined with at least another word or image in order to be registered as a trademark. This is referred to as a "combination mark".
Since the Swiss cross may also not be deceptive regarding the geographical origin, a trademark with a Swiss cross may only be registered for goods or services originating in Switzerland. For further information, read our Trademark Guidelines, section 4, numeral 8.7 (in German or French).
Those companies which have already been using official emblems — or signs which could be confused with such — as a distinctive sign for their firm for many decades have the option to register the emblem as an element of a trademark for Swiss products or services as long as it is justified by legitimate interests.
The Swiss Confederation and its businesses may register the coat of arms as an element of a trademark, however, only for goods which are completely (i.e., 100%) manufactured in Switzerland, or for services which they offer themselves.

https://www.ige.ch/en/service/frequently-asked-questions/legislative-amendment-swissness/a-swiss-cross-and-the-swiss-coat-of-arms.html

A bare Swiss Cross (no combination mark, no Vic Shield or Wenger Rectangular or Swiss Flag etc) with rectangular arms is public domain. Go for it.

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 08:54:42 PM
A new iteration including the previous suggestions... Scrapped the triskelion/mitsudomoe and made a new obverse side moving the previous front to the back side.

The phrase is from the original motto and also incorporated Yadda's idea  :tu: about symbolize the number of the anniversary with stars, is it 7 or 9 ??  :think:  (The records show the domain multitool.org was registered on 2005)     

The reverse side was modified according to the new design, also removed the "sun" and added a new Clasping sound representation, with the High Five! written on top and the phrase changed from Friendship+Multitools to Community of Multitool.org. The 3 stars stand for the 3 basic types of multis.

Wish I had enough time to explore and try some other ideas and combinations but as many others ran out of time...

Hope you like them  :cheers:

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 03:26:58 AM
Last one... I mashed the new design with the old one

Hope to still be on time.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 03:31:59 AM by Ombudsman »

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 21, 2014, 03:29:56 AM
I find the high five pliers to be very creative :tu:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: April 21, 2014, 03:43:34 AM

Me too! Very cool Ombuds :tu:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 03:55:42 AM

Me too! Very cool Ombuds :tu:

Thanks  :salute: it was one of those Aha moments  :D

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 12:08:08 PM
Last one... I mashed the new design with the old one

(Image removed from quote.)

Hope to still be on time.(Image removed from quote.)
I really like this one.

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20