Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The problem of EDC 'creep'

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
The problem of EDC 'creep'
on: April 08, 2014, 12:23:26 AM
I have a problem. For any bag I carry, I will add crap until it's full.

Not 'kind of full'. Splitting at the seams.

I had a nice leather hobo sling bag of really solid leather, and crammed it full. The problem with it was that it had terrible built-in organization, and I felt like I was constantly having to dig for stuff.

So, I replaced it with a Maxpedition Jumbo. Bad idea. REALLY bad. I crammed that thing full, and it was pushing 12 pounds.

So, in my infinite wisdom, I downsized to the next smaller Maxpedition slingbag, the Fatboy.

I sat down today to give a real, hard look at what I carried, and got rid of maybe eight things, and downsized a few more. I was really proud of myself.

And then I realized that since it's spring, I ought to add my umbrella back into my bag.

:facepalm:

I have waffled back and forth on carrying a Leatherman Wave. It's a very VERY capable tool. But I have never once needed a full sized MT while I was more than 50 feet from my car. So, while it's a great tool, I'm not sure it's a great tool I need to have ON me at all times. I tried out the Juice, and it came and went, eventually being given away to a friend who'd use it a lot more. Now, I'm considering swapping the Wave for a Vic Deluxe Tinker, as a compliment to my EDC  tool, a SOG Crosscut.

Every time i come up with a neat idea to reduce the size/weight of the gear I carry, I inevitably just fill that space or weight with MORE gear. It's a sickness.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: The problem of EDC 'creep'
Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 12:38:18 AM
Lol!!!
Luckly I don't do this. I can forget my bag and I still have my edc. I don't really carry all that much in my bag. I tend to use mine for what I am doing at the time. Work, my lunch. Shooting, pistol and ammo or just ammo if its a rifle. Camping or hiking, just stuff I need for that.
live from Nate's mobile
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 12:41:25 AM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 01:30:33 AM
What about a modular system?  Have a main bag with some everyday basics, wallet, keys, phone, etc.  Then have a small FAK that is it's own separate kit, and then have a small EDC kit like a Maxpedtion Micro this way you can decide if its gonna be a full blown bring everything and the kitchen sink day or just the basics. 

I like to have everything separate so when I look into the bag I know with just a glance whats what. Maxpedition Micro has my tools, Skull Gola bag is my FAK, Maxpedition 3X5 has my pad and writing implements, Small Ziploc has treats ( cliff bars, candy, etc).  I also like it seperate so I can choose to leave items out or use items in another bag without repacking or trying to organize them into a different bag.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 01:40:55 AM
this should suffice to hold my ""EDC""  :whistle:  crap

If I can help, let me know 

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 01:52:34 AM
What about a modular system? 

I think I'm already pretty modular, I just bring ALL the modules all the time. So...  :rofl:

I have a Maxpedition EDC organizer inside my bag. It holds my miscellaneous stuff, power cords, etc. I have a small first aid kit in another container. Then a Skinth with my phone and flashlight. All very neatly organized. And... ever expanding...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 01:57:20 AM

I think I'm already pretty modular, I just bring ALL the modules all the time. So...  :rofl:

I have a Maxpedition EDC organizer inside my bag. It holds my miscellaneous stuff, power cords, etc. I have a small first aid kit in another container. Then a Skinth with my phone and flashlight. All very neatly organized. And... ever expanding...

:rofl:  Like my roommate said to me when I asked why her purse was so flipping heavy "I like them all I have to bring them all" referring to her MT and SAKs and Knives and Flashlights.  I created a EDC junkie and while its a good thing her Coach and Michael Kors bags beg to differ. 
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline RamoN

Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 02:01:30 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

Interesting solution, does it come in other colours to match it with my day clothes?

us Offline detron

Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 02:02:07 AM

:rofl:  Like my roommate said to me when I asked why her purse was so flipping heavy "I like them all I have to bring them all" referring to her MT and SAKs and Knives and Flashlights.  I created a EDC junkie and while its a good thing her Coach and Michael Kors bags beg to differ.

maybe she can speak with a rep from Maxpedition to start a purse line   :tu:

us Offline detron

Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 02:03:12 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

Interesting solution, does it come in other colours to match it with my day clothes?

what do you mean,  there is black, brown, and green,  is that not sufficient, black matches everything right?

us Offline detron

Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 02:04:18 AM

OR a better idea is to see if Metro can come up with a Skinth purse for the cool girls!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 02:08:59 AM

She was looking at Maxpedtion to carry her stuff.  I think she likes designer bags to much so she's been looking for a Coach or Michael Kors bag to convert to a EDC bag.  She wears skirts and dresses everyday so she has no pockets haha so no where to put her Spyderco or Spirit.  I was thinking a garter sheath  :think:
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 02:14:32 AM
I'm a better have it and not needed than need it and not have it type but to a certain degree. I've never been known to gear up to the point of over-saturation.

What all is carried?

I have certain bags/packs for certain task.
An everyday sling bag, a hard work/exercise sling bag, an overnight pack. Not one to rule them all. You just may need certain bags/packs for certain situations instead of cramming everything into one bag.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 05:25:21 AM
I limit the amount of gear I carry by steadfastly refusing to EDC a bag of any sort, and also eschewing belt sheaths except while at work or in the woods.  However, I have to admit to generally filling whatever pockets I have with potentially useful items, whether I'm wearing dress slacks or cargo shorts.

I think it might be interesting to try the following procedure with your bag:
  • Empty the bag of all contents
  • Return anything to the bag that you have actually used within the last 365 days
  • If there are any items that were not used within the last 365 days, but which you can reasonably foresee using to save your life or someone else's life, return those items to the bag
  • Any items not back in the bag at this point don't get put back in

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 07:57:45 AM
I have the same problem. I follow a modular scheme. 3 bags (work, leisure, travel and outdoors, all Vic), an opentop bag in bag with my EDC and bag specific items that stay in the relative bag. The opentop bag/items holder has many pockets for small items and a large center area where I have tins and smaller bags and my Multitools. But it is full now itself and I'll move the multitools and relative items to the Skinth Catch All I am waiting, so I'll move two items around the three big bags. It is heavy (particularly the work briefcase) but I remind myself I am a full grown man and can handle it.
The fact is that for decades, my wife, kids and coworkers know that I carry virtually everything and ask me for anything, from a napkin to a battery. Usually anything is within reach, in my bags, around my sheat in the car or in the drawer by my bedside. I like that. It enchances my paternal and manager role.

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 09:58:23 AM
My rule for bags is that I can do whatever I want with secondary (tertiary, etc.) pockets, but the main compartment must be empty of all EDC gear at all times. That way I always know I have room for my book, or my ereader, or whatever else I feel like I need today. More importantly, this leaves me plenty of room for whatever I find on the way. No-one wants to ride a bicycle 20km to Chapters only to find he can't fit the seven books he just bought into his sling pack.

I've also recently decided to have separate regular-carry and bicycle bags so I can keep the bike-specific stuff out of my normal EDC. It doesn't make a huge weight difference, but it does make getting out on my bike a lot faster.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 10:40:52 AM
Lynne, is it important to you to always feel prepared? I know I would leave the house with all 5 of my SAK's, and a massive rucksack filled to the brim 'just in case'. I guess I love carrying stuff around and feeling able to deal with whatever life throws at me.

I like the rule that says if you haven't used it for the last 6 months you can put it away (not including FAK's). Have you tried that and do you think that would lighten your load?

Maybe you could set up a 'Lighten Lynnes Load' challenge with some sort of prize for you at the end of it? (Nothing weighty though!)
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 11:53:14 AM
I limit the amount of my EDC to what I can carry comfortably when in jeans and a jacket. So my solution is basically not being a pack rat. Although I am certain a member of general public wouldnt see it that way...  ::)  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

gb Offline Dr Gonzo

Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 07:36:32 PM
Less is more ;)
Carrying a heavy bag of stuff you might need is not good for your back, especially when its a sling bag over one shoulder :o
I limit myself to what I can carry in my pockets, which is usually an Alox SAK, Leatherman Micra, torch, phone, keys and cash :tu:
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 09:48:45 PM
LOL  :rofl:

Listening to you lot brings back memories of doing exactly the same - only back then I was really into mountain biking.started off with a bumbag (fanny pack to you guys) each week something else was added ...."just in case!!"

Pretty soon the bag was bulging at the seams - purchased another bag to strap to my Brooks 66 saddle.......again all was good until that could hold no more.
Next fitted a corner bag that fitted between the top bar and saddle post soon that was full too.

And on and on it went.
It got to the stage where my add-ons weighed more than the damn bike!!

Finally I saw sense and dumped the lot except the very basic essentials
Pump, box spanner, puncture repair kit and 2 way screwdriver.
Funnily enough it was probably the only things I ever actually needed!!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 09:52:28 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: April 11, 2014, 12:46:57 PM
Doesn't it boil down to having to constantly evaluating one's choices, as with most other things? I ask myself:

• Do I need this thing?
    • What is the benefit from having it?
    • What is the risk of not having it?
    • What is the cost of bringing it?

Both before and after carrying it for a while... That way I avoid lugging around stuff which is fun, but mainly just weighs me down.

OK, I'll admit it... Most of the time I just vary between carrying too much, getting sick of it and paring down to minimalism, then starting to add stuff back again. :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%