Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My first mod - Gerber MP425

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
My first mod - Gerber MP425
on: August 03, 2014, 08:35:22 PM
One of my favorite EDC multitools is the Gerber MP400.  It's a smaller tool that performs well for what I usually need a multitool for, with a good tool loadout.  For a while I've been thinking of going bladeless on it, replacing the blade on the 400 with the file from its cousin the MP450.  I've always got a dedicated folder on me, so the blade on my multis see very little if any use.  Swapping the blade for the file would give me both the scissors and file on the same tool.  So today I worked up the nerve and finally gave it a shot.  Excuse the poor pics, my hands shake a little bit both from some youthful habits, plus a smurfload of coffee today.  :D

The victims - the MP450 at top, 400 at the bottom.  The only difference between the two is the file/scissors fit.

After heating the screws with a hair dryer to soften any locktite, I used the pliers on each tool to remove the pins from the other.  Here the 450 is at work on the 400.

The 400's handle emptied. 

Now the 400 reciprocates on the 450.

The file out of the 450.

My first attempt at doing the handle didn't quite come out right.  The washers kept slipping, with the small tabs kicking out of the groove on the handle.  Also, the first lineup didn't work right, the tools were very loose in this configuration.  Probably my fault, but oh well.

With the Phillips driver on the outside though, everything managed to come together smoothly.  Careful aligning and taking my time, everything slid together just fine.

Tightened up, it's done!  :woohoo:

And there you have it!  I managed to take apart and put back together a tool without making a total mess of it!  Total time?  Maybe half an hour tops.  That included walking away and taking a little breather after the first reassembly attempt didn't quite go right.  ::)  Now I have a modded tool that suits my needs just fine, and it was relatively easy to do!  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: My first mod - Gerber MP425
Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 08:40:25 PM
Very nice Tom,Havnt played with my MP425 in ages.

You need a KST next :pok:  :D
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 08:43:11 PM

You need a KST next :pok: :D

Wouldn't that be a TST then? :D
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 08:43:21 PM

You need a KST next :pok:  :D

:D  One thing at a time.  Let me enjoy this victory for a bit, then we'll see.....
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 08:58:17 PM
Nice one Tom! Feels good to make something you want, and have it still work in the end, eh! :D
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 11:03:56 PM
Nice one Tom! Feels good to make something you want, and have it still work in the end, eh! :D
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

Absolutely!  I'm not the most mechanically inclined person in the world, so I was a bit nervous to give it a shot.  Usually when I take things apart (paint shakers, power washers, tint machines, paint sprayers) they're not actually mine per se.....  ;)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 11:07:05 PM
Congrats man.  :cheers:  I like it.  :)

us Offline nelly1974

• No Life Club
  • Pitbulls are people too
Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 11:10:56 PM
 Very nice and very legal. :D
[

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 11:13:53 PM
Nice work Tom  :tu: My MP426 is one of my most carried tools, and certainly the most carried knifeless tool  :)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 02:54:10 AM

Your signature line finally pushed me to do it.  :)

Yep!  If I ever end up in the UK I'm covered for a multi.  Not needed here in NJ as much, as you and I both well know judging from the blades we show each other every day......  ;)  For such a PITA state in many (most!) other respects, many people don't realize that NJ's carry laws are surprisingly relaxed. 

Nice work Tom  :tu: My MP426 is one of my most carried tools, and certainly the most carried knifeless tool  :)

Thanks Al, you convinced me that it wasn't going to be too difficult, and you were correct.  This is going to see a lot of use.  :tu:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 03:23:44 AM
Nice job Tom :tu:  I'm getting more and more tempted to give a Gerber a try...either the MP400 or MP600...
K-Tibbs

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 03:31:44 AM
Very nice,  It feels good to do a mod yourself doesn't it?
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 04:38:36 AM

Indeed it does.  It was a pretty neat feeling when I tightened it all up and realized that not only did it not fall apart in my hands, it functioned and locked exactly as intended.  :tu:  Well, it did that on the third try at least......  :)

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 04:39:57 AM

Nice job Tom :tu:  I'm getting more and more tempted to give a Gerber a try...either the MP400 or MP600...
You really should Kyle.  I will guarantee that you would love an MP600.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 04:43:34 AM

+1 Join us, embrace the Flicky Faith!  :assimilate:  >:D

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 04:46:20 AM

Indeed it does.  It was a pretty neat feeling when I tightened it all up and realized that not only did it not fall apart in my hands, it functioned and locked exactly as intended.  :tu:  Well, it did that on the third try at least......  :)

the number of tries only matters if you give up, and do not get it working. 
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #16 on: August 04, 2014, 04:49:57 AM

Hm...my birthday is coming up...perhaps I'll be able to treat myself.  We'll see though.  If I were to get another MT, it would likely be a Gerber.  I also have looked at the Flik (all these I check out are on Amazon as there's nowhere for me to check any out in person), which looks interesting with outside accessible tools.  Not sure how it compares to the MP400 or 600 though, but I'm sure Tom will "enlighten" me as he's been known to do ;) >:D
K-Tibbs

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 05:04:06 AM

Hm...my birthday is coming up...perhaps I'll be able to treat myself.  We'll see though.  If I were to get another MT, it would likely be a Gerber.  I also have looked at the Flik (all these I check out are on Amazon as there's nowhere for me to check any out in person), which looks interesting with outside accessible tools.  Not sure how it compares to the MP400 or 600 though, but I'm sure Tom will "enlighten" me as he's been known to do ;) >:D

:angel:  :D

The Flik draws some strong feelings, both positive and negative, from people who have used one.  The pliers are good, the blade is fine, and the scissors are quite good.  The drivers are very stubby, and the Phillips is a flat one rather than a true 3D like on an MP.  They've worked fine for me though.  I know that Gareth is a fan of the Flik, but ask 50ft-trad what he thinks of it and you'll likely get a very different response.  Personally I like it, but not as much as my MPs.  To get the real Gerber tool experience, you can't go wrong with a 4 or 600 series tool.  Those are what I'd recommend as a first Gerber.  :tu:  I started off with a 450, and look where it's gotten me......  ;)

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #18 on: August 04, 2014, 05:24:52 AM

:angel:  :D

The Flik draws some strong feelings, both positive and negative, from people who have used one.  The pliers are good, the blade is fine, and the scissors are quite good.  The drivers are very stubby, and the Phillips is a flat one rather than a true 3D like on an MP.  They've worked fine for me though.  I know that Gareth is a fan of the Flik, but ask 50ft-trad what he thinks of it and you'll likely get a very different response.  Personally I like it, but not as much as my MPs.  To get the real Gerber tool experience, you can't go wrong with a 4 or 600 series tool.  Those are what I'd recommend as a first Gerber.  :tu:  I started off with a 450, and look where it's gotten me......  ;)

Yeah, I've noticed that.  The pliers, blade and scissors being good would be primary sellers for me really.  The drivers aren't as big of a concern as I don't use them much at all, and I have drivers on my Rogueneer anyway, so I'd likely be covered overall.  I'm torn between the MP400 and 600, with the size/weight of the MP600 being a factor.  Still, I'd like the blunt nosed pliers so that the tip isn't sticking out like with the needlenose.  However, I have more use for needlenose pliers honestly.  The MP400 is likely more my style in terms of size/weight.  I do prefer my MTs to have a metal file/saw and wood saw though, which the Gerbers seem to lack.  Not that I use them much at all, especially a wood saw.  The Rogueneer has a metal file/saw on it anyway, so that helps.  I do like that the MP600 Pro Sport (I think?) has that Remgrit saw or whatever that is, and looks like other things could be used in that spot, but I know nothing about that.  I may have to start a poll to see what everyone thinks :think:  Darn you people >:D 
K-Tibbs

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: August 04, 2014, 07:00:47 AM

Your signature line finally pushed me to do it.  :)

Yep!  If I ever end up in the UK I'm covered for a multi.  Not needed here in NJ as much, as you and I both well know judging from the blades we show each other every day......  ;)  For such a PITA state in many (most!) other respects, many people don't realize that NJ's carry laws are surprisingly relaxed. 

Thanks Al, you convinced me that it wasn't going to be too difficult, and you were correct.  This is going to see a lot of use.  :tu:

Glad to be of some use around here. Now to find somebody else to nag.  ;)

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: August 04, 2014, 09:43:04 AM

+1 Join us, embrace the Flicky Faith!  :assimilate: >:D

:angel: :D

Yeah, I've noticed that.  The pliers, blade and scissors being good would be primary sellers for me really.  The drivers aren't as big of a concern as I don't use them much at all, and I have drivers on my Rogueneer anyway, so I'd likely be covered overall.  I'm torn between the MP400 and 600, with the size/weight of the MP600 being a factor.  Still, I'd like the blunt nosed pliers so that the tip isn't sticking out like with the needlenose.  However, I have more use for needlenose pliers honestly.  The MP400 is likely more my style in terms of size/weight.  I do prefer my MTs to have a metal file/saw and wood saw though, which the Gerbers seem to lack.  Not that I use them much at all, especially a wood saw.  The Rogueneer has a metal file/saw on it anyway, so that helps.  I do like that the MP600 Pro Sport (I think?) has that Remgrit saw or whatever that is, and looks like other things could be used in that spot, but I know nothing about that.  I may have to start a poll to see what everyone thinks :think:  Darn you people >:D

Get a Recoil  >:D
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #21 on: August 04, 2014, 02:42:17 PM
Darn you people >:D
You're welcome.  :angel: 

Get a Recoil  >:D
That's just mean!!       :rofl:

au Offline TheDude

• "What is the riddle of steel?"
Reply #22 on: August 04, 2014, 04:59:23 PM
Great work. I swapped some tools around between my MP600 blunt nose and my Pro Scout. However I got a little impatient and stripped the bold a little. Hair dryer sounds like a better option than a blow torch.
Eventually even McGyver got himself a Leatherman

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #23 on: August 04, 2014, 06:03:02 PM
Great job Tom. I still want the bladeless MP600 :drool: :drool: :drool:
SAW

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: August 05, 2014, 10:08:10 AM
Now you got me wondering... Would a MP600 file fit a MP400? :think:

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: August 05, 2014, 12:43:55 PM
Yes, it will fit the outer slot AFAIK.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99