Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

firearms

ducttapetech · 3118 · 155638

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: firearms
Reply #570 on: January 28, 2015, 10:54:29 PM
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #571 on: January 28, 2015, 11:25:43 PM
The U S Air Force issued the M6 Aircrew Survival Weapon for many decades. It was a .22 Hornet over .410 shotgun. The AF version had a 14" barrel, too short for legal civilian use. Later commercial versions had 18" barrels, and offered several different caliber combinations.

The Air Force looked briefly at the AR-7 and a bolt action version chambered for .22 Hornet, but decided the M6 filled the requirement, and didn't adopt the either of the later weapons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M6_Aircrew_Survival_Weapon

M6_Survival_Riflew.jpg
* M6_Survival_Riflew.jpg (Filesize: 13.65 KB)

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #572 on: January 28, 2015, 11:27:29 PM
The U S Air Force issued the M6 Aircrew Survival Weapon for many decades. It was a .22 Hornet over .410 shotgun. The AF version had a 14" barrel, too short for legal civilian use. Later commercial versions had 18" barrels, and offered several different caliber combinations.

The Air Force looked briefly at the AR-7 and a bolt action version chambered for .22 Hornet, but decided the M6 filled the requirement, and didn't adopt the either of the later weapons.

I really like the over-under set up as a survival gun. Wasn't the thought more for hunting for sustenance to be able to survive until you get found?
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #573 on: January 28, 2015, 11:35:52 PM

I really like the over-under set up as a survival gun. Wasn't the thought more for hunting for sustenance to be able to survive until you get found?

The M6 was primarily for taking small game. At one time the Air Force was looking into a survival weapon that could double as a self defense weapon. The project eventually morphed into the original Bushmaster pistol, but I don't believe the AF ever bought any.

Bushmaster-Arm-Pistol.jpg
* Bushmaster-Arm-Pistol.jpg (Filesize: 24 KB)

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #574 on: January 28, 2015, 11:50:27 PM
If you like over-unders as a survival option, check out the Luftwaffe WWII survival gun.

A Sauer Drilling (three-barrel job) featuring two 12 gauge barrels over a 9.3x74R rifle, made to pre-war commercial standards. Some of these were issued to aircrews in North Africa.

If you could find one today, expect to pay a VERY large amount of money.

http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/de/sauer-m30-luftwaffe-e.html

1366966992.jpg
* 1366966992.jpg (Filesize: 15.39 KB)

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #575 on: January 29, 2015, 12:00:52 AM
If you like over-unders as a survival option, check out the Luftwaffe WWII survival gun.

A Sauer Drilling (three-barrel job) featuring two 12 gauge barrels over a 9.3x74R rifle, made to pre-war commercial standards. Some of these were issued to aircrews in North Africa.

If you could find one today, expect to pay a VERY large amount of money.

http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/de/sauer-m30-luftwaffe-e.html

I think that influenced our desire to have one for our pilots as well, I think we did better at the portability thing!
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #576 on: January 29, 2015, 09:16:00 AM
The popularity of double barrel shotguns, or scatter guns, lies in their versatility; you have the ability to have two different types of ammo loaded (for different types of game/distance) and the ability to produce two distinct spreads of shot, based on the fact that each barrel can have a different choke (how tight/small the spread of the shot will be at a given distance). Some guns have fixed chokes, some have adjustable ones.

This allows you to have various combinations, for example using smaller shot, in larger numbers, with a lower powered load, and an open choke so as to kill small game that is close to you that moves fast making aim difficult etc.  without destroying it  or a larger (smaller in number) shot with a more powerful load and tight choke to kill game at a larger distance or as a follow up shot to game you missed with your first shot (the shame...)  and which is now further away from you.
Choke selection is possible with a single barrel shotgun but you only have the choice of 1 choke at a time.

Now, some guns have single trigger, meaning that you select the order in which you want the barrels to fire, thus the shot/choke combination you want 1st, before you take the shot (e.g. on an O/U you decide that the 1st pull fires the top one, 2nd pull the bottom one).

Some guns have double triggers so you can fire the barrels in any order you decide, just before you take the shot (no need for adjustments). These also allow you to fire both barrels simultaneously, mainly for fun.  :D

Now, by adding the the 3rd barrel, a standard rifled barrel, you have the ability to utilise the two smooth barrels properly, by having shot in them, instead of a slug (single "bullet") and you have a bullet in the rifled barrel for bigger game...

Lets say you are hunting grouse  and a bear/tiger/angry husband appears 20 metres away from you.
Firing shot with a shotgun at that distance will just make the beast angry. Waiting for it to come closer to you so that you can take an effective shot may be risky. Thus, you use the rifled barrel to take a good, aimed shot, disposing off the beast.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #577 on: January 30, 2015, 01:23:06 PM
I called the RCMP on my licence application. It was confirmed that they had it, and it was in the process. When I asked how long might she think it would take...she replied to phone back late February...and her best guess was another 2 months.  :facepalm:

So I think I had better step back. I want to get into practicing and possibly competition...but I will have to be very very patient.

I looked into local gun clubs and there is another one locally that I found out about, called the Practical Shooters of Algoma. they tend to do a lot of competitions. They are based in an old gravel pit with no indoor facilities, but do have a club house I am told. Membership is a lot cheaper than the Algoma Rod and Gun club which is 300 a year. The Practical shooters of Algoma is 500 for a 3 year membership.

I would love to get their black badge and enter in some competitions...however, I do need to get my licence and have plenty of practice. I tend to be a somewhat impatient sort...and waiting this long since November is killing me.

Anyways, this is what I eventually want to get into...

https://www.ipsc-ont.org/bbcourse.htm
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 01:37:55 PM by Chako »

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #578 on: January 30, 2015, 11:34:17 PM
I called the RCMP on my licence application. It was confirmed that they had it, and it was in the process. When I asked how long might she think it would take...she replied to phone back late February...and her best guess was another 2 months.  :facepalm:

So I think I had better step back. I want to get into practicing and possibly competition...but I will have to be very very patient.

I looked into local gun clubs and there is another one locally that I found out about, called the Practical Shooters of Algoma. they tend to do a lot of competitions. They are based in an old gravel pit with no indoor facilities, but do have a club house I am told. Membership is a lot cheaper than the Algoma Rod and Gun club which is 300 a year. The Practical shooters of Algoma is 500 for a 3 year membership.

I would love to get their black badge and enter in some competitions...however, I do need to get my licence and have plenty of practice. I tend to be a somewhat impatient sort...and waiting this long since November is killing me.

Be patient buddy. It will all be worth it soon enough.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #579 on: January 31, 2015, 05:41:38 AM

Waiting is not my thing either.

Been doing Ipsc, Idpa and Three gun for a number of years, you will love it.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #580 on: January 31, 2015, 10:17:42 PM
Visited the one range...now I know which one I am going to join when the time comes.

I also installed a keypad lock on the main door of the walk in closet.  :tu:

us Offline Nenavist

Reply #581 on: February 01, 2015, 03:57:28 AM
I hope you like that 10/22. I'm betting you will.

Is anyone else interested in the Kel Tek Sub 2000? It's a 9mm carbine, that folds in half. It comes in several models, using magazines that fit other popular 9mm (and 40 cal) pistol lines like Glock or S&W. They just released the Gen 2 version at SHOT, and the new version has fixed a lot of the minor problems that made me not want one. Otherwise, I think it's AWESOME. I'm not a huge fan of a lot of Kel Tek's offerings, but the Sub 2000 is very nice, and the only issues I've heard of seem to have been addressed in the Gen 2.

Thanks... Now I have a new Truck gun to get. I have wanted one for a few years now. Glad I waited. I own Glock .40's and now I need to get the V2.
Looking for a Red Alox Rambler

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #582 on: February 01, 2015, 07:12:01 AM
Visited the one range...now I know which one I am going to join when the time comes.

I also installed a keypad lock on the main door of the walk in closet.  :tu:

Forgot to mention if you really want to get good at the shooting games dryfire is your friend.

Orders of magnitude more important then shooting live ammo. You can do it anywhere and does not cost you anything but time. Repetition is key.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #583 on: February 01, 2015, 02:22:34 PM
I will look into it.  :tu:

Well here are a few more updates to my new gun room.

I found some shelving that fit inside the new ammo locker. This will give me 3 shelves of ammo storage.

And here is a better look into the newer 14 gun cabinet showing the gun scope extensions on the barrel rests.

And last, a look at the newly installed key pad lock on the door.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #584 on: February 01, 2015, 02:30:46 PM
While taking the photos, I just got an idea...and it worked...

:think:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #585 on: February 01, 2015, 02:41:53 PM
Nice work and some sweet ideas.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #586 on: February 01, 2015, 04:38:43 PM
What I should do, is cut a piece of toolbox rubber matting and place that on the top shelf. That would not only protect the pistols, but would ensure they do not slip away from the barrel rests. Those are only BB and pellet airguns. I think I have room for expansion down the road as far as pistols go.  :think:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #587 on: February 07, 2015, 12:30:55 AM
Just now pondering about shotguns. Anyone have any opinions on the Remington 870?

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #588 on: February 07, 2015, 12:34:32 AM
Sorry to say I have essentailly zero experience with shotguns. Hope others can help, though.  :tu:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #589 on: February 07, 2015, 12:34:40 AM
I know a lot of people who love them. I have seen a lot of deer, squirrels and rabbits taken with 870.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #590 on: February 07, 2015, 12:46:29 AM
We have a Remington .308 Woodsmaster 742. Love the gun.....but dang does it it need a renovation. New stock, new scope, and the semi auto design is not my thing.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 12:48:51 AM by NKlamerus »

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #591 on: February 07, 2015, 01:03:24 AM
Just now pondering about shotguns. Anyone have any opinions on the Remington 870?

Very versatile, very reliable....the iconic American pump gun!  Can't go wrong with one! I used various models for hunting/home & store defense for 25+ years. My fav, an old silver trigger Wingmaster with a 20" Imp barrel and open sights was lost in the big fire. I could shoot an open sight barrel at birds better than a bead...a lifetime of shooting rifles I guess.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #592 on: February 07, 2015, 03:01:01 AM

What are you going to be using it for Chako?

I have a Remmy 870 that was my home defense gun for many years and a unfired brand new one that was going to be a back up until I discovered the Stoeger M3000.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #593 on: February 07, 2015, 03:07:11 AM
The 870 is a excellent shotgun and a iconic one at that. It is affordable yet performs flawlessly and are tough as a tank. You can also buy other barrels that swap in very easily for other applications. They also make a endless amount of stocks, and accessories so you can build it up in a countless amount of ways to appeal to your shooting needs or just for aesthetics.
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #594 on: February 07, 2015, 06:02:19 AM
Thinking down the road for IPSC competition.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #595 on: February 07, 2015, 06:15:49 AM
I wrote a bit on shotguns earlier, so I will just suggest that if you will not be just shooting targets and want something visually pleasing, something to start a collection you may also consider a nice s/s.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #596 on: February 07, 2015, 06:40:07 AM

What kind of shotgun shooting would you be doing in a IPSC competition?
I'm the milk man!

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #597 on: February 07, 2015, 09:09:02 AM

What kind of shotgun shooting would you be doing in a IPSC competition?

I am guessing he is talking about Three Gun?

If that is the case some form of autoloader is the way to go. Stoger M3000 or if you want to spend a nice Benelli.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #598 on: February 07, 2015, 12:18:00 PM
I take it an auto would be better than a pump for competition? I am maybe looking into competitions down the road, and do want to keep my options open without having to buy more gear.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #599 on: February 07, 2015, 12:42:52 PM
Both autos and pumps have there perks. For an auto, I like the old Winchester 1400. Beautiful gun.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79