Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Juice XE-6?

us Offline sjdep97

Juice XE-6?
on: October 19, 2014, 01:19:01 AM
Been looking at the Juice XE-6 lately. Any of you guys that have one able to offer any info pro or con?
NRA Life member

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Re: Juice XE-6?
Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 01:25:53 AM
I have the similar Juice Pro and made a review once.

http://www.multitool.org/reviews/leatherman/small-tools/258-juice-pro.html

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 01:36:12 AM
You're going to get some very mixed opinions here  ;)

I have a love/hate relationship with the Juice line - on paper it's great, but I find the build quality extremely poor considering the retail price of the tools. That said, the XE6 packs a heck of a lot of function into a small package. Unfortunately we can't predict whether you will love the tool or hate it. All I'd say is don't pay top money on it, but might be worth a try if you can get one at a bargain price.

My personal thoughts on the tools are as follows:

Pliers - I really like the pliers on the Juice line  :tu:
Plain edged blade - not bad, but not a great slicer due to the hollow grind.
Serrated blade - Nicely done, serrations work quite well.
File - Excellent! :2tu:
Saw - Cuts very well indeed, but can have a tendancy to dive behind the awl when putting it away - annoying!
Awl - Arrives blunt, will need work - they can't be bothered to do it at the factory  ::)
Bottle opener - Good
Can opener - utterly pathetic  :bnghd:
Corkscrew - Perfectly fine
Corkscrew assist - absolutely useless, will just chip bottles. :dwts:
Phillips - Works well, but very stubby so can't reach all screws. Compatible with the bit adaptor which helps  :-\
Flat drivers -  Sadistic. Stubby in use, and will stab you in the cuticle every time you try to get them out  :ahhh
Scissors - poor to average depending on how lucky you are - can be very floppy, and can catch on the liners when stowing  :rant:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Neko2

• I have too many and not enough.
Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 01:44:54 AM
It's my all time favorite multi tool.  I too have the juice pro variant and have really learned to never be without it.

I'd also recommend kkokkolis' review.  If I hadn't owned one already or certainly would have made me take notice.

I'll disagree with the hate for the can opener.  I prefer it to the one on my super tinker for the flat top edge that saves my finger a bit of pain.
I love the screw drivers for times I don't need to press super hard (slipjoint tends to close on you).
The corkscrew assist is great and I've used the corkscrew to save many a party.
Overall I prefer it size for size to a large SAK (say swiss champ) for the full size pliers and the ability to use open or closed depending on the length you're after.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 01:52:30 AM
I got an XE6, although I've not handled it for at least a year or so. 50ft's remarks do actually ring true, but hey I only got it due to its gadget factor - wouldn't  dream of edcing the brute tho'  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 02:24:15 AM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 03:14:24 AM
Let's do some math shall we?

I got an XE6  +  I've not handled it for at least a year or so  +  I only got it due to its gadget factor  +  wouldn't  dream of edcing the brute

=?
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 03:16:31 AM
Rebar is about the same weight, half of the price, awesome cutter, locking tools.
Unless you want the corkscrew, I see no reason to have any Juice.
Plus I am a very boring person, anything names Juice and with colorful scales is absolutely no go for me.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 03:18:02 AM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 03:28:56 AM
I'm a fan of the xe6 ,I had a s2 but for me the xe6 packs a punch tool wise,yes a tad bulky but for mea cool uUK legal edc Mt, :tu:

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 07:55:11 AM
I loved it. Before I actually received it. Then I sold it.

....... What a summary :D

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 01:31:14 PM
I have both old and new XE-6's.  I got the latter just for giggles, knowing that I was already irritated at how Leatherman's "upgrade" to the lineup basically made the tools uglier (IMO) and shortened the plain edge blade - neither of which are good things.  I broke my promise to myself not to buy any of the new Juices.  What Brother 50ft said is right on.

Everything is relative.  Compared to a pocket full of nothing, the XE-6 is awesome.  But the Rebar comparison is good, and the Rebar (IMO) easily wins that one at 2/3 the price.  I also find the Juice pliers pretty lame at doing real pliers stuff, but adequate at pulling fuses, bending paperclips, etc.  But honestly, its not easy for me to move a nut/bolt with any MT, and the small pliers of the Juice are among the worst of the bunch in this regard.  I also find the Victorinox scissors to be the gold standard.  The Juice scissors are way less precise (for skin boo boos and fine detail work), but they are larger.

If you are aware of its shortcomings and just want a new toy, then go for it.  Otherwise, for the same weight and less money, other options may provide more capability.  JMO.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 01:38:26 PM
I always looked at the Juice lineup as a dress MT. Much like jewelry in many ways. If you are looking to dress up for an occasion, the Juice is colorful and the right size, which explains how many of them feature corkscrews. They are not front line duty multi-tools...even though you could use them for that...but you will quickly find their limitations for such.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 01:59:04 PM
Let's do some math shall we?

I got an XE6  +  I've not handled it for at least a year or so  +  I only got it due to its gadget factor  +  wouldn't  dream of edcing the brute

=?
OK I'll make amends...

I was eager to get a juice when I first came here, I don't recall which one it was that I got first, but I know the KF4 quickly followed, along with the Pro, then the S2, CS4, XE6 etc etc...... Just need the SX now. :dd:

The XE6 like most of the juice line up,  promises a lot but fails on most. As 50ft rightly points out the drivers are basically useless. The pliers are nice looking but fail pretty miserably on anything that calls for pliers!! The saw blade is very easily bent, the can opener instils no confidence whatsoever. I also know of 2 separate incidents where one of the blades snapped off, pretty certain both were the Pro version and both times it was the serrated blade.

The juices are certainly cute, maybe for someone stuck at a desk all day they could prove useful - but for anything remotely taxing there are far better alternatives.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 04:03:45 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 02:14:44 PM
I'm going to be very generous and concur with 50ft's summary, I really wanted a juice and now I have one it spends all of it's time in the box because there is always a better tool.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline sjdep97

Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 04:07:40 PM
Thanks so much for the insight on this tool. Think I will save the money for a better tool! :multi:
NRA Life member

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #14 on: October 19, 2014, 04:39:42 PM
Until Victorinox makes a Swiss Juice rival, mixing the Spirit with the 91mm scales and corkscrew. Until then is either a Spirit or a Swisschamp.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 01:15:44 AM
Thanks so much for the insight on this tool. Think I will save the money for a better tool! :multi:

If you are looking for a tool for a specific application, we might be able to help you further  :salute:

I must admit, considering the number of Juice fans that have sung it's praises in the past, I'm surprised there's not more "pro" comments for the tool. I expected a much more mixed response.  :think:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 02:12:21 AM
Thing is,the XE6 isn't a bad tool..or it wasn't before the update anyway,it's just that...I don't know...I like my XE6, but ...oh bugger this might keep me up all night :facepalm:

Guess the XE6 will be carried tomorrow then :multi:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 02:12:40 AM
I always looked at the Juice lineup as a dress MT. Much like jewelry in many ways. If you are looking to dress up for an occasion, the Juice is colorful and the right size, which explains how many of them feature corkscrews. They are not front line duty multi-tools...even though you could use them for that...but you will quickly find their limitations for such.

I think that's the best description I have ever seen.  While they aren't the toughest, they are useful in their own way. 

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 02:33:26 AM
Thing is,the XE6 isn't a bad tool..or it wasn't before the update anyway,it's just that...I don't know...I like my XE6, but ...oh bugger this might keep me up all night :facepalm:

Guess the XE6 will be carried tomorrow then :multi:

:rofl: :rofl: The odd things is, I know exactly what you mean  :P

It wouldn't have taken much more effort to make this a truly excellent tool ... but they didn't ... so it isn't. The biggest annoyance with the whole juice line is that EVERY SINGLE TIME that you pick the bloody thing up, you look at it and for the first three seconds all you see is the tool as it could have been. Perfectly sized for the pocket, and a wealth of function in a bright colourful package. The perfect pliers based tool to knock the SAK off it's pedestal. Then those three seconds pass, and all you see is the total bloody dogs dinner that they made of the concept. Half arsed in execution, overpriced, and really smurfing disappointing!

The Juice concept is like driving down a road on a hot summers day, and seeing a pair of long legs in tight jeans or short skirt topped off with a real fine ass walking down the pavement away from you. Your eyes pan up a little higher and sees a very tidy torso topped with long flowing hair. As you approach you check the road around you in anticipation to make you you can have a good gawp when you get alongside without mowing anyone down. Then as you pass you throw your head round to have a good look over your shoulder, and see a face that looks like it's been attacked by a swarm of wasps and someone has swatted them with a cricket bat .... THAT is what the Juice line is like! All the promise of being the finest thing your eyes have ever fell upon, only to find yourself utterly disappointed again

us Offline leathermon

• Better to have a tool, than be a tool.
Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 05:26:57 AM
I bought one for my girlfriend at a steal, and before it came, I picked one up for me. She loves it, mine sits in my tackle box. Most leathermans outperform, however it does have alot of tools in a small package. The tools aren't great, but all will do a better job than nothing and I think that is the point with this model. Jack of all trades, master of none :-)

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 07:19:30 AM
Oh great, I ask for recommendations for a MT for a friend and on many people's recommendations I get her a Juice (XE6). Now y'all are saying they're crap!  >:(

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: October 20, 2014, 09:08:36 AM
Oh great, I ask for recommendations for a MT for a friend and on many people's recommendations I get her a Juice (XE6). Now y'all are saying they're crap!  >:(

They're not crap in the slightest,it's just they're not as good as a SAK,or a Fuse or a Wave.

To me,they're certainly better than say a Wingman or a Suspension,and some users a PST,but I rate the KF4 far more highly.

There it is again...it's good,but!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #22 on: October 20, 2014, 11:30:05 AM
If your friend has nothing else, he/she will be very happy with the Xe6. If he owns a Swisschamp, or even a Climper, it is highly possible to EDC that and leave Juice at home.
I keep my Juice at home and the best use I have for it is playing with it (mainly opening and closing the bottle opener) when I am viewing Richard Attenborough's documentaries. But now I use the MTO Pocker Chip and I have to find another use for the Juice!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #23 on: October 20, 2014, 01:48:05 PM
As a proud fancier of the juice line I would say that the XE6 is just too big, for what the juice line is supposed to be; small, sexy looking tools.

I usually just use the S2.

If I want the weight of the XE6  I might as well get my ST300
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #24 on: October 20, 2014, 01:54:44 PM
I like the Juice XE-6. About the same size as a Swisschamp. But with way bigger pliers. The only thing I don't like about it is the screwdivers. They damn near bite me everytime when deploying them. They work good when you get them out, its just getting them out.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: October 20, 2014, 02:34:52 PM
Ive used the wire cutters to cut thick wire with no issues,the pliers are ok and better than the swischamps,the drivers screw screws in,this is not a perfect mt but none are as they are just a handy item to use if you havnt got a dedicated tool at hand. :tu: i carry a xe6 in my maxpedition organizer in my backpack as uk legal,
14068302473971.jpg
* 14068302473971.jpg (Filesize: 110.12 KB)
14068759951651.jpg
* 14068759951651.jpg (Filesize: 124.04 KB)

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #26 on: October 21, 2014, 08:12:48 AM
The Juice S2 I currently carry is what I'd call "one of the good ones".  It's tough and I really like it.  But....I've had about 3 other S2's that were terrible. 

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: October 21, 2014, 09:00:27 AM
The s2 is one of the best ones and wish i kept mine but the xe6 covers most tools plus for me uk legal ,

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #28 on: October 21, 2014, 10:17:03 AM
Ahh, the great Juice discussion....
why not something less controversial like Victorinox scissors vs Wenger scissors...  or re-open the great can-opener debate?

Well my 2c worth is that I have 3 juices and combined they get carried LESS than my Dime.   and that is saying a lot.  ::)

us Offline afinitaln

Reply #29 on: October 21, 2014, 02:02:46 PM
I have both the xe6 and the s2. The xe6 in my opinion is not a pocket edc, it's best home is on your belt in your back pack or in your car. I would shy away from belt carry. The S2 is a great pocket carry, it's lightweight and has the essentials of what you would need. Focus on the type of use, they are light weight tools to handle lightweight jobs. For me I mostly use for skinning fruit, cutting cordage, paper crafts, personal fingernail and cuticle care, eyeglass adjustments, picnicking etc. With these types of tools, you need to think small and be practical with the weight you want to carry to perform small tasks. If it's to bulky and heavy you will quickly retire it and it will make a home on your dresser or in a kitchen drawer.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%