Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Small windows tablet?

jzmtl · 33 · 1939

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Small windows tablet?
on: November 19, 2014, 06:16:45 AM
So there's a Lenovo mixx 2 8" tablet that's on sale, refurbished model for $160 and I'm quite tempted to pick one up.

The hardware seems could just handle windows 8.1. Intel atom z3740 1.3G quad core, 2GB RAM and 32GB storage (will take micro sd). Resolution is low at 1280x800. But I have reservation about this small of a screen being useful especially with full blown win 8 OS. What I see on a 21" monitor crammed into a 8" display seems like a disaster, and the office 2013 that came with it would be essentially useless especially after on screen keyboard pops up.

Any thoughts/experiences with these 8" tablet running win 8?

ca Offline jzmtl

Re: Small windows tablet?
Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 02:46:18 AM
smurf it, I bought one, should be here tomorrow.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 02:59:15 AM
I keep looking at the Dell Venue 8 Pro; I'm either waiting for the release of Windows 10, or waiting for a 8.1 update to include Swyping on the tablet OS.  It works rather well on my Nokia 635.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 03:05:40 AM
I never liked swype on my phone. From what I see the different brands are pretty much the same thing in different wrapper, exactly the same hardware/software. The 8.1 version of windows isn't bad at all though as far as desktop goes, I got used to it in half an hour or so.

At least this one is cheap enough that if it's a dud, I won't be too sad about it.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 03:44:12 AM
It works well enough for me, though I think it still works a bit better on my Android tablet, though I'm still breaking in my 635.  I'm kinda waiting for a better spec-ed Windows tablet to become available, to be honest; I'm likewise holding out for an updated Lumina 1020, for that matter.

I'm selling the laptop I'm currently typing this on to help downsize the number of unused electronics I have. @_@

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 05:52:23 AM
You could always go for one of those surface pro tablets.  :P

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 03:14:25 PM
I'm sticking with Android for tablets and phones, at least for now.  I was one of the longest hold outs with Windows phones with my HTC Touch and I was pretty well left out in the cold for years by MS.  I'm in no hurry to experience that again.

Def

Sent from my smurfing hunk of techno sorcery

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 05:00:42 PM
We're really happy with our Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro, but it really is the opposite end of the tablet/laptop market. I'm intrigued by the new cheap lenovo line, but we pretty much have the small tablet side covered with my Nexus/android.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 05:24:22 PM
I'm sticking with Android for tablets and phones, at least for now.  I was one of the longest hold outs with Windows phones with my HTC Touch and I was pretty well left out in the cold for years by MS.  I'm in no hurry to experience that again.

Def

Oh Gawd, this x10.

I did the whole Windows CE PDA thing with Casio Casseopeia.  It never did what I had hoped.  Then switched to Windows based phone (HTC TouchPro2) that promised so much and the software was just so...bad.

My life has been much improved via Android.  (Although my wife JUST upgraded to an iPhone 6 and I must say, that is an extremely nice piece of hardware.  :drool:)

Still, for ease of use, I'm good with Android for phones and tablets.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 05:28:02 PM
I want a laptop running Android.  Not a Chromebook but an actual Android powered laptop.

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 05:39:19 PM
This is full on windows 8.1 though, literally the same as your desktop, not some factory crippled mobile version.

I just received it, going through the initial setup/maintenance and will post my thoughts later.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 04:47:17 AM
So far I like it a lot. I think a full feature windows 8 tablet makes a lot of sense, more so than android or ios. The display sucks compare to ipad mini and build quality doesn't come close either, but neither is the price.

I prefer it over both android and ios. You bought it, it's yours to do as you wish, or screw up if that's your choice. No more BS with rooting, factory crippled OS and restrictions, can't put app on SD card (SD card simply shows up as another hard drive). App selection sucks and many don't work, but I have my phone for that, plus it's actual windows and you can install everything you've ever installed on your desktop (games probably won't work unless you connect a physical keyboard/mouse).

I'm sticking with windows tablet from now on.

And as far as 8" version is concerned, hope you have slender fingertips.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 08:45:07 AM
oh and never ever buy the 32 gb version, 64 minimum, just take my word on it.

us Offline The Mt Kid

Reply #13 on: November 22, 2014, 08:20:17 AM
I want a laptop running Android.  Not a Chromebook but an actual Android powered laptop.

Def

HP Slatebook

this one came out a couple months ago:http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/slatebook/overview.html
Nathan Bosman

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #14 on: November 22, 2014, 04:04:53 PM
So far I like it a lot. I think a full feature windows 8 tablet makes a lot of sense, more so than android or ios. The display sucks compare to ipad mini and build quality doesn't come close either, but neither is the price.

I prefer it over both android and ios. You bought it, it's yours to do as you wish, or screw up if that's your choice. No more BS with rooting, factory crippled OS and restrictions, can't put app on SD card (SD card simply shows up as another hard drive). App selection sucks and many don't work, but I have my phone for that, plus it's actual windows and you can install everything you've ever installed on your desktop (games probably won't work unless you connect a physical keyboard/mouse).

I'm sticking with windows tablet from now on.

And as far as 8" version is concerned, hope you have slender fingertips.

That's a big one to me.  I might have to look at Windows next time around.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: November 22, 2014, 10:43:18 PM

Def

HP Slatebook

this one came out a couple months ago:http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/slatebook/overview.html
Thanks for the heads up.  That is very tempting!

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #16 on: November 27, 2014, 04:54:36 AM
So far I am very impressed with the operating system other than some limitations because of no mouse and keyboard, Windows 8.1 is actually very sleek as a touchscreen operating system. The swiping to switch/close programs, access menus and access start or desktop is very fluid.

Downside is selecting text is a pain, some small menu items are hard to press on and the inherent windows mouse over operation is impossible (although easily fixed with pen digitizer or second detection grid ala air view on galaxy s5).

There are ways to free up space on c drive such as delete recovery partition but I don't want to mess with it yet.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #17 on: November 28, 2014, 11:53:36 PM
Jie, you can make a backup USB drive of the recovery partition and drivers and then delete the partition. You'll just need a 16 GB USB drive, which are cheap.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #18 on: November 29, 2014, 12:13:15 AM
I'm waiting for the USB OTG adapter in the mail. They don't include any accessories anymore. Next thing you know you'll have to supplies your own chargers and cable.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #19 on: November 29, 2014, 12:41:59 AM
I'm waiting for the USB OTG adapter in the mail. They don't include any accessories anymore. Next thing you know you'll have to supplies your own chargers and cable.

You have to get an AC adapter for the Kindle if you want one... The OTG drives look neat, but the Windows phones, for instance, don't yet support it.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #20 on: January 01, 2015, 03:04:19 AM
Finally received my USB OTG adapter, moved recovery partition to a flash drive and deleted it from internal, instant 6 more GB of space.  :D The windows utility still left 1 GB of partition for recovery partition (with less than half used), not sure if I should remove that manually, probably not though. With the new found recovery space and 64 GB card, I'll leave it alone for now.

Going to reinstall office onto the card, lost the link to installer MS CS gave me last time after much mumbo jumbo, looks like I'll have to go talk to a wall again.

And with the adapter I can use my wireless mouse with it now.  :D

P.S. bought one of those case that has cover folds to a triangle as stand, hate it, made tablet twice as thick and heavy. It's a necessary evil with phones but since I don't keep tablet in my pants pocket, no screen protectors and no cases. I like the wooden block stand I made much better.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 03:13:26 AM by jzmtl »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: January 01, 2015, 03:31:27 AM
I picked up a Linx 8 tablet in a black Friday sale (runs full 8.1 windows) and have to say I'm happy with it.  Runs smartly and crisply and, so far, does all I want from a pocket tablet. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: January 01, 2015, 01:04:04 PM
The sad truth is that win8/8.1 IS a good tablet OS... however that means it's a terrible desktop OS unless you have a touchscreen imho. It's great on our Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro, but I cannot see us updating our desktops to win8.x

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: January 01, 2015, 01:28:09 PM
My laptop isn't a touch screen and runs 8 just fine.  I don't think I have ever felt like it was lacking anything without a touch screen.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: January 01, 2015, 01:41:30 PM
My laptop isn't a touch screen and runs 8 just fine.  I don't think I have ever felt like it was lacking anything without a touch screen.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

Agreed.  While I think it does perhaps work better as a tablet OS, I've become perfectly happy with it as a laptop system as well.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #25 on: January 01, 2015, 01:49:43 PM
We bought a 13.3 Lenovo Yoga 2 for my wife, it is a nice laptop/tablet but I don't like Windows 8 that much. 7 are just fine.
From all three tablet OS's I used the Android is the best. I hate the home screen of the Win 8 and the flat design that is the trend nowadays.
Maybe Win 10 will be better (it rarely is with MS,  only Win 3.11, XP and 7 were better, but with Millenium and Vista it would be an accomplishement to not make a better version after them).

GadgetMan

Reply #26 on: January 01, 2015, 02:26:07 PM
Did you know Spammers gonna spam? :spamkiller:

Not banning anyone, btw because I can't find other evidence of spambotting but perhaps you could introduce yourself before posting ebay listings within 10 minutes of joining MTO.  :tu:

« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 02:48:10 PM by Mr. Whippy »

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: January 01, 2015, 02:37:03 PM
rather bizarre first post mate...  :think:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: January 01, 2015, 06:25:30 PM
The sad truth is that win8/8.1 IS a good tablet OS... however that means it's a terrible desktop OS unless you have a touchscreen imho. It's great on our Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro, but I cannot see us updating our desktops to win8.x

I can't agree more with this, I had a small tablet running the Win 8 and even though it was slow and the touch screen is not very nice, I was thankful it was touch screen.  I haven't use it all that much, just too much 'swiping' and can't even fathom if I need to upgrade my desktop and has to 'swipe' with my mouse. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #29 on: January 01, 2015, 08:56:18 PM
My parents have an all in one that's win 8.1 without touch, its actually pretty nice. The operations you do with swipe can all be done with some other way that's natural to mouse, so MS didn't do too badly as far as win 8.1 goes.

Plus you can default to desktop on startup and directly to program list without go through tile, so you can use just like win 7/XP if you wish.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%