Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Thumb Studs on lockback folders

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Thumb Studs on lockback folders
on: December 15, 2014, 05:55:19 AM
Maybe it's just me, but the idea of using a thumbstud to open lockback knives just freaks me out. Your fingers want to wrap the grip as soon as the blade moves, which puts them in line of the blade, and if your thumb slips due to the lock spring you're going to have a bad time.

Just seems like a pretty bad idea to me, maybe I'm just foolish. But I've had quite a few close calls with the blade landing on my finger nail, now I don't OHO that knife.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Thumb Studs on lockback folders
Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 06:29:42 AM
I hate thumb studs. Spydie holes rock!
I'm the milk man!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 07:07:30 AM
Yes, indeed.

de Offline Kin-Luu

• Can never carry enough tools.
Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 08:09:11 AM
Thumb Studs are great on very big folders, like the Lionsteel SR1.

But for smaller folders, 'holes' are more comfortable.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 08:49:37 AM
There is a thumbstud on the SRM 763, not a lockback, and it seems to be OK, safetywise. Same with the SRM H02. These two I use regularly.

Cold Steel also uses it on their lockbacks. They seem to open fine, but I do not really use them enough to know if there is an issue.

There is also the possibility to get an aftermarket thumbstud for the Buck110, and the people using it seem to be happy with it.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 08:49:52 AM
Maybe it's just me, but the idea of using a thumbstud to open lockback knives just freaks me out. Your fingers want to wrap the grip as soon as the blade moves, which puts them in line of the blade, and if your thumb slips due to the lock spring you're going to have a bad time.

Just seems like a pretty bad idea to me, maybe I'm just foolish. But I've had quite a few close calls with the blade landing on my finger nail, now I don't OHO that knife.

I don't move my fingers until the blade is either locked open or at a place (generally around 3/4 open) where the backspring doesn't push it. You should (IMO) have a good grip on the knife while you open it. Not be changing your grip while pushing the blade open.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 09:08:29 AM

Plus one for love of the hole.  :whistle:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 09:29:41 AM

Is that a dirty joke or am I just perverted? Or both?  :think:
I'm the milk man!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 09:33:02 AM

Probably all of the above.  :whistle:

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 09:39:20 AM

I do not understand?  :whistle:

Still going to go with answer D, all of the above.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 07:33:21 PM

I don't move my fingers until the blade is either locked open or at a place (generally around 3/4 open) where the backspring doesn't push it. You should (IMO) have a good grip on the knife while you open it. Not be changing your grip while pushing the blade open.

I agree, I don't purposefully move my hands in the way of the blade, but often the shape of the handles want your fingers to slide that way.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 09:07:24 PM

I agree, I don't purposefully move my hands in the way of the blade, but often the shape of the handles want your fingers to slide that way.

You're holding it wrong maybe or it could be to do with hand to handle size. At least you've identified this before a bad cut and now you can adjust to a better technique.

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 10:18:43 PM

I do not understand?  :whistle:

Still going to go with answer D, all of the above.
Lets not forget what his avatar is!

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 11:03:39 PM

You're holding it wrong maybe or it could be to do with hand to handle size. At least you've identified this before a bad cut and now you can adjust to a better technique.

Yeah, send them all to zoid to avoid further incidents?

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 01:15:55 PM
I seem to open my folders more easily with thumbstuds than with holes. Maybe I have chubby fingers or some lack of skill, but the thumbstuds offer me more support for blade deployment.

Ka-Bar Dozier: the thumbstud version snaps open like lightning, the hole version makes me follow the blade all the way and is much slower.

:think: :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 01:25:51 PM
I seem to open my folders more easily with thumbstuds than with holes. Maybe I have chubby fingers or some lack of skill, but the thumbstuds offer me more support for blade deployment.

Ka-Bar Dozier: the thumbstud version snaps open like lightning, the hole version makes me follow the blade all the way and is much slower.

:think: :think:
Spot on. I don't have to follow with a thumb stud. However, it doest have to be a nice one and in the right place so it does not get in the way.
Nate

SEND IT!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 01:28:03 PM

Free knives are always good.  :D

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 01:57:20 PM

Free knives are always good.  :D

Knives + zoidberg =  :drool:

Ok, we got a new challenge!

:D :D :D :D

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 02:07:22 PM
Zoidie's right - different knives tend to lure you into handling them different ways, so sometimes you have to do something that seems counterintuative for best/safest use. Problem with a lockback in my opinion though, is you often have to put your fingers across the path of the blade to release it too. I don't think I own any lockback folders, though I do have some liner lockers which has much the same issue

Avoid locking knives - problem solved  :P :D :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 02:25:31 PM
How about NO! 
Love my locking blades.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 06:38:14 PM
What's a lockback???

:D
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 06:45:16 PM
Anything like this:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: December 16, 2014, 06:48:28 PM
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%