Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What Multitool did you recommend to a friend and why?

nl Offline anditsgone

Last week when i was fishing with a friend of mine i saw that his fake victorinox was all rusted. I laughed at him because there was stainless marked on it.
I had to use my leahterman to open it.
I said he should have bought a real Vic because those barley rust.

He went to my house and i assisted him with buying a MT, i advised him a Swisschamp so he can explore all the different uses of a pocket knife. And because it barely fit in his budget.
The reason why i didn't advised him a leatherman is that altough i edc a leatherman wave i have a bad experience with leatherman quality and i wanted him to get a good first impression with a MT.
Not the leatherman way where everything has to break in and some tools require another tool to get it open sometimes. I hope this gives him a good impression so that he may buy more tools in his life.
He was also amazed that there are manufactuers that give lifetime warranty on their products.

I would like to hear your reccomendations to your colleages, friends, family members etc...
Why you have chosen that one, and what think of it.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 05:47:18 PM by anditsgone »

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Re: What Multitool did you recommend to a friend and why?
Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 06:33:27 PM
Hold up. Did you just refer to a leatherman needing another tool to open it? Yet you used one to open ANOTHER tool?

Also, if your experience is so bad why do you carry one??

I hate being a negative Nathan. But this is post completely contradicts itself.......

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 06:38:15 PM
Hold up. Did you just refer to a leatherman needing another tool to open it? Yet you used one to open ANOTHER tool?

I hate being a negative Nathan. But this is post completely contradicts itself.......

The flathead screw driver wasb rubbing against the body of the multi tool.
When I tried to open it my nail chipped.
After opening it with a plier 20 times you can open it with your nail.

The tool that I had to open with a multi tool was a fake SAK that was all rusted and the tools rusted together.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 06:46:44 PM

Last week when i was fishing with a friend of mine i saw that his fake victorinox was all rusted. I laughed at him because there was stainless marked on it.

He went to my house and i assisted him with buying a MT, i advised him a Swisschamp so he can explore all the different uses of a pocket knife. And because it barely fit in his budget.
The reason why i didn't advised him a leatherman is that altough i edc a leatherman wave i have a bad experience with leatherman quality and i wanted him to get a good first impression with a MT.
Not the leatherman way where everything has to break in and some tools require another tool to get it open sometimes. I hope this gives him a good impression so that he may buy more tools in his life.
He was also amazed that there are manufactuers that give lifetime warranty on their products.

I would like to hear your reccomendations to your colleages, friends, family members etc...

Leatherman all the way for my recommendation , why ?   because they are the best of course     :pok:

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 06:51:12 PM

Leatherman all the way for my recommendation , why ?   because they are the best of course     :pok:

I agree with you leatherman makes awesome plier based tools, warranty is great.
But if you have ever used a SAK you know that out of the box the SAK tools are easier to open because the leatherman has to break in.
After a while the leatherman passes the SAK but I want to spare him the hassle with his first tool and leave him a good impression.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 07:15:25 PM
Back on topic, I'd give them a skeletool. It's very simple, and very light. I would never want someone carrying a brick if they aren't used to it.

I think a skeletool has just enough use for them to realize it's nice having some on you.

I also like that it has a locking blade....especially if they are a first time knife user as well as MT user.

And it looks better than a sak

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 07:22:11 PM
Back on topic, I'd give them a skeletool. It's very simple, and very light. I would never want someone carrying a brick if they aren't used to it.

I think a skeletool has just enough use for them to realize it's nice having some on you.

I also like that it has a locking blade....especially if they are a first time knife user as well as MT user.

And it looks better than a sak

Yeah youre right, but i chose the Sak because it has allot of functions and he uses it allot for fishing so the scissor etc comes in handy.
But the skeletool is an awesomes first tool, sadly it is very expensive in europe and most people dont want to spent 90 euros on their first mt.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 07:24:23 PM
Very true. What yall fishing for If I may ask??

I carry a Skeletool pocket carry and a usually clip my style cs to it when fishing. Scissors work great on braid!

Be sure to checkout the "fishing" threads here!

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 07:27:46 PM
I would recommend something really lightweight like a Leatherman Squirt,  to put on the keychain. Reason is to improve the odds it gets carried. Once they see the benefit of always carrying a multi tool they may catch the virus.

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 07:30:28 PM
I don't know if it is the correct translation but we usually fish on pike perch/ zander, and sometimes catch an eel although these are almost extined in the Netherlands.
But the hook was in his stomach so I had to kill him with my Cold steel ak47.
We could not save it.
An MT sure is nice when fishing for knots and getting the hook out.

us Offline BASguy

Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 01:55:20 AM

I almost laughed that you were shocked to hear you had to use another tool to get to one of Leatherman's "clumping" tools.  They seem to be just fine when they break in, but they suck until then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline BASguy

Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 01:55:30 AM
Excellent choice on the SwissChamp for a fishing buddy.  It should serve him well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 12:30:27 AM
Depends on the user. My wife, for example, has short, frail nails that break easily. In her case I'd get her a Swisstool Spirit.

When I realised a friend of mine was EDCing (!) a Wenger Snife (!) I got her a Vic Climber.

Generally speaking I think the SAK has the advantage of its good reputation and also of being uber-practical for its size so for the average user, not your typical MT.O knife/SAK/tool nut that is, a SAK has an edge over competition if pliers aren't a must-have :D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 12:33:31 AM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 08:14:57 AM
Depends on the user. My wife, for example, has short, frail nails that break easily. In her case I'd get her a Swisstool Spirit.

Most people probably don't understand why you will get her a swisstool over leatherman wave for example.
Altough the wave has outside accesible knife's, saw and file.
The other tools are an absolute pain in the but to get out, especialy when new.
I had to loosen the bolts on all the tools to make them more easy to open and stop bending/chipping my nail.

I think on average the Swisstool is faster deployable due to the fact that all the tools are outside accesible, all the nail nicks are easy to reach and the smoothnes of the tools. Its like a heavy do SAK.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 08:16:16 AM by anditsgone »

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 09:14:56 PM
I gave my Wingman to my girlfriend and she loves the thing, it's always on her hip.  I would also +1 on a Squirt.  They're probably not going to balk at the price tags of these tools, yet they're still brand name and carry that warranty.

Not worried about how tight Leatherman builds their tools; when they get theirs in their hand, I usually say "It's hard to open the tools right now, but it'll break in like my Skeletool did" and hand them my Skele.  Course I've got a new one on the way right now, so it'll have to be broken in... :ahhh
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 10:13:02 PM
I got my wife a Farmer and a purple Classic, my daughter has a translucent blue Climber and a red Classic, but no one else I know will admit to feeling it is necessary to always carry a SAK. What is wrong with these people?
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 10:21:57 PM
but no one else I know will admit to feeling it is necessary to always carry a SAK. What is wrong with these people?

I agree, no one thinks it is necessary, i even said to my friends to borrow a knife from me to see how handy it is sometimes (at least once  every day)
My dad is a car mechanic, i asked him many times why he doesn't have an MT,i don't see him pocket carrying one, but i can put my Swisstool in his car or in his off-road riding jacket.
Maybe he will get a lesson on how handy it is to have one around.

But they just won't, they rather have their iPhone in their pocket than a knife, or SAK.

If i would have to choose one i left the iPhone at home, rule no1 never leave the house without a knife SAK or MT.

The knife is one of the oldest tools mankind has, it dates 2,5 Million years ago, but times change. I guess the gentleman knife is swapped out for a smartphone.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 10:31:49 PM by anditsgone »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 10:28:19 PM
It all depends on there needs,if pliers important, then a lm wave or vic spirit,but if pliers not so important then a sak,what one ,well the swisschamp of course  :salute:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 10:34:06 PM
but no one else I know will admit to feeling it is necessary to always carry a SAK. What is wrong with these people?

I agree, no one thinks it is necessary, i even said to my friends to borrow a knife from me to see how handy it is sometimes (at least once  every day)

But they just won't, they rather have their iPhone in their pocket than a knife, or SAK.

If i would have to choose one i left the iPhone at home, rule no1 never leave the house without a knife SAK or MT.

The knife is one of the oldest tools mankind has, it dates 2,5 Million years ago, but times change. I guess the gentleman knife is swapped out for a smartphone.

I couldn't agree more! In some ways mobiles are very useful but I can't stand the hold they seem to have on most people. It turns them into zombies. Whereas carrying a pocket knife, especially a SAK, gives you freedom to perform a lot of different tasks while out and about.

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 10:40:10 PM

especially a SAK, gives you freedom to perform a lot of different tasks while out and about.

Yeah, an MT is for us prepared for everything situations and we carry a quarter kilo of stainless steel with us everywhere, but every Man MAN should carry a SAK or knife, so much usefulness from a SAK is a small price to pay for that little weight and bulk,a Huntsman and you will barley notice its there, until you need it.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 03:01:55 AM
Unless they have some specific needs, I tend to suggest a LM Squirt P4 (or later build PS4) or a Micra, depending on preference for pliers or scissors based MT. 

These are small and light enough that they are more likely to be in a pocket or handbag all the time, and so available when needed.  It doesn't matter how "good" a particular MT or SAK is, if you haven't got it when you need it then it is of zero utility.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: March 06, 2015, 03:26:15 AM
I recently gifted a LM Fuse to a close friend. He loves it! I got it for him because of the simple loadout (just the basics), and easy to access tools (all in one place). I do believe it depends on the person. Gifting an average joe a st300 will probably be overbearing, but give that same tool to a tradesperson and they might love it. My 2 cents...know the tools, but know your friends more.  :cheers:
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #22 on: March 06, 2015, 12:58:58 PM
I recommend tools based on THEIR needs not on MY tastes/preferences. As a result i have made recommendations for tools that I would personally never carry, but that would best suit the other person.

Very disappointing to hear some people are doing the opposite  :pok:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #23 on: March 06, 2015, 01:17:45 PM
I would try to understand what are his/her needs and play it a guru and recommend the right tool. If he/she wouldn't specify his/her exact needs and I should recommend a generic tool, according to space limitations and budget I would recommend a SAk from a Climber up to a Swisschamp, or a Victorinox Spirit.
Would I recommend a Leatherman? Of course, but I see them as more specialized tools. If you are a constructor get a Surge, if you need locking pliers a Crunch etc. But if you don't know what you need the versatility, quality, ergonomics and iconic state of a Victorinox has the potential to leave you pleased.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #24 on: March 06, 2015, 01:42:18 PM
When I was a lad, it was a knock off Spartan, take it or leave it.

Kids these days don't know they're born.

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #25 on: March 07, 2015, 03:54:37 PM
When it comes to SAKs I always suggest folks just buy a real one.  The model doesn't much matter to be honest.

For multitool there is really only one that I recommend to any one, any time, no matter the circumstances and that's the Victorinox Spirit.  Whole there are other tools that have merits on their own and features the Spirit is missing (most notably OHO blades) there really isn't any better tool out there than the Spirit, except perhaps the Swiss Tool,  but many get turned off of that one as it's somewhat bulky. 

I know the Spirit won't break, even if abused, and if it does it's covered, no questions asked.  It looks nice. It is feature rich. It won't rust or corrode.  It's a very convenient and manageable size.   In short, if someone doesn't specifically need certain functions and wants a good general tool, I will always suggest the Spirit.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Pignut71

Reply #26 on: March 07, 2015, 04:09:18 PM
I would recommend a SAK, most likely an Explorer, Super Tinker or Huntsman. All great pocket tools.
If the person in question had a requirement for decent pliers then I would recommend either a Vic Spirit or Leatherman Wave. All of these are great products IMO

Regards, Jon.

Sent using my chubby fingers...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69