Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Kick: Why the BAD rap???

us Offline Mike 208

Re: Leatherman Kick: Why the BAD rap???
Reply #30 on: March 22, 2015, 09:29:36 PM
Years ago, I took a female co-worker to a gun show (she had never been to one before).  I asked her if there was anything in particular she was looking for.  She gave a description for what she was looking for, and I was easily able to determine she wanted a multi tool.  We found a table selling Leathermans, and she told me she just wanted a basic tool.  At the time, I wasn't aware that Leatherman had introduced more models (I last looked when I bought my old style Wave), so I asked the girl behind the table which was the basic model, and she showed me the Kick ($35.00 with nylon case).  Later in the show, we found another table with more Leatherman models.  My friend found a Juice model that had more of the tools she was wanting (like scissors, something she didn't tell me she wanted) and cost less than the Kick.  She couldn't afford to buy the Juice, so I bought the Kick from her (she bought it because of my recommendation, so it seemed like the right thing to do) and she bought the juice, and was happy.  Since I had the Wave, I just tossed the Kick in the junk drawer, where it sat for several few months.  One day I saw the Kick in the drawer, and decided to open it up and check it out.  I found that I really liked it.  I liked it so well, that a few years later when I saw the Big 5 Sporting Goods had a sale on them ($19.00), I bought another one.  Even though I have several multi tools that have more features, I find that I use one of my Kicks more often around the house that any of the others.  As for the bad rap, other than the "lack" of tools, I've heard people complain about the plastic grip panels.  To me, this is a non-issue as these make the tool more comfortable to use, and surely reduced the cost of the tool.  But I guess enough people complained about "plastic on a metal tool" that Leatherman stopped using them. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 09:34:25 PM by Mike 208 »

us Offline BASguy

Reply #31 on: March 23, 2015, 01:35:41 AM
I always liked the Zytel.  Thought it was a great idea....so of course they got rid of it :think:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #32 on: April 28, 2015, 07:30:55 PM
Kick A.S.S. is ready to kick ass.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #33 on: April 28, 2015, 07:32:11 PM

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: April 29, 2015, 03:53:46 PM
Whoa  :drool:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: April 30, 2015, 12:12:44 AM
Nice one Kampfer.  :tu:

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #36 on: April 30, 2015, 12:15:02 AM

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #37 on: April 30, 2015, 12:54:24 AM
Thank you, men.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: April 30, 2015, 01:47:41 AM

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: November 19, 2015, 07:51:20 PM
I'm exploring the option of a Kick. Would this work as a bare bones MT to have in a bag as a complement to an SAK or a folder? I'm not worried about scissors since I have a pair of electrician ones I could carry.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #40 on: November 19, 2015, 07:54:32 PM
I'm exploring the option of a Kick. Would this work as a bare bones MT to have in a bag as a complement to an SAK or a folder? I'm not worried about scissors since I have a pair of electrician ones I could carry.
I approve.

gb Offline narcosynthesis

Reply #41 on: November 20, 2015, 01:04:36 AM
I used one for a few years and have no complaints whatsoever...

It is a solid, budget Leatherman - so by default it won't have all the tools and features of its bigger brothers, but at the same time it also cost less - so compared to the bigger tools it wasn't better or worse, it was just aimed differently. I can see why many won't have liked it (being an inferior model to the more expensive tools people here tend to own), but for someone who can't afford to buy the more expensive stuff, it was a great introduction and a very workable tool.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #42 on: November 20, 2015, 01:38:03 AM
I modified my Kick (which has recently moved on to pastures new), but if you like the toolset, it's a good, reliable and comfortable tool to use. I have since moved back to the Sideclip, but have no bad feelings about the Kick

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline BASguy

Reply #43 on: November 20, 2015, 03:11:58 AM
Kick is a good bare bones tool.  The clip was a nice add and works well.  Kind of a shame Leatherman retired it....I thought it was their best light duty tool ever.

Sent from 9 miles from the face of the sun

au Offline TheDude

• "What is the riddle of steel?"
Reply #44 on: November 20, 2015, 03:02:42 PM
I have seen BO Kick on sale in the UK websites. Is it possible they had a run of them made. I understand UK servicemen are strongly discouraged from using lockblades on deployment.
Eventually even McGyver got himself a Leatherman

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #45 on: November 20, 2015, 06:50:45 PM
I love my Kick. Its slim, light, and relatively well equipped.  It was my first multitool, and has served me well for many years. The handles are comfortable, there aren't any pointy bits, and the tool retention is fantastic. I do wish they had added an extra tool or two, but for what it is, its an excellent bit of kit
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline BASguy

Reply #46 on: November 21, 2015, 12:08:55 AM

I have seen BO Kick on sale in the UK websites. Is it possible they had a run of them made. I understand UK servicemen are strongly discouraged from using lockblades on deployment.

Because a military man might have issues operating a locking blade?  The stupidity knows no bounds.....wow

au Offline TheDude

• "What is the riddle of steel?"
Reply #47 on: November 21, 2015, 02:18:11 PM
I think it was more to do with keeping in line with local UK knife laws.
Eventually even McGyver got himself a Leatherman

us Offline BASguy

Reply #48 on: November 21, 2015, 02:23:04 PM

I think it was more to do with keeping in line with local UK knife laws.

Yeah, I get that.... That's why I don't get that.

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #49 on: November 21, 2015, 02:26:49 PM
It's not a bad tool, but there are better ones in the same size range that are better populated. On the up side, I was talking to a civilian contractor headed to the sandbox for a year who told me his employer issued everyone a Kick before they deployed (he had his with him; they get a bunch of other cool kit as well) - being inexpensive and useful has its advantages.
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #50 on: November 21, 2015, 03:29:38 PM
Had a Kick.  Got it for free from a tobacco company.  Didn't like it because the plastic cut into my hands when using the pliers so I never used it.  I finally sold it to someone else who did like it.  I bought a Rebar to replace the Kick and I don't like it either, because it also cuts into my hands when using the pliers.  Sharp metal edges are not an improvement over sharp plastic edges but at least the tools lock. :facepalm:

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #51 on: November 21, 2015, 03:42:12 PM
I liked the Kick and if they ever for any reason brought it back, I'd be quite happy. It's a great tool and I love the Zytel handle inserts :tu:
SAW

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #52 on: November 21, 2015, 04:03:07 PM

Because a military man might have issues operating a locking blade?  The stupidity knows no bounds.....wow

It's a bit more complicated than that. They are discouraged because the RAFP (Royal Air Force Police) are obliged to follow civil rules on air travel. Simple yes?

Well actually no, if as serving personel you are required to deploy then you will deploy with all the personal kit that you have been issued. Including personal weapon. So you board a transport at Brize (and yes I am picking on them, they are the biggest culprits), locking blade sir? we'll have to take that from you they're illegal to carry without a good reason. So new, shiney and expensive bit of kit disappears leaving said personel to board transport with personal weapon sill intact.

I had it happen to me and I could say for certain the cretin is enjoyng using it.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline BASguy

Leatherman Kick: Why the BAD rap???
Reply #53 on: November 21, 2015, 09:41:59 PM

It's a bit more complicated than that. They are discouraged because the RAFP (Royal Air Force Police) are obliged to follow civil rules on air travel. Simple yes?

Well actually no, if as serving personel you are required to deploy then you will deploy with all the personal kit that you have been issued. Including personal weapon. So you board a transport at Brize (and yes I am picking on them, they are the biggest culprits), locking blade sir? we'll have to take that from you they're illegal to carry without a good reason. So new, shiney and expensive bit of kit disappears leaving said personel to board transport with personal weapon sill intact.

I had it happen to me and I could say for certain the cretin is enjoyng using it.

us Offline BASguy

Reply #54 on: November 21, 2015, 09:43:02 PM

Well, thank goodness you fellas still have harsh language at your disposal.  Unless of course they legislate against that. :facepalm:

In any case, we are not supposed to get to political :whistle:

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #55 on: November 21, 2015, 10:10:55 PM
It's not political. It's bullying and theft
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #56 on: November 21, 2015, 10:17:16 PM

I'm not sure if I am understanding this correctly. Are you saying if you are military and travelling they will take a locking blade from you because you do not have good reason to carry it? Being in the military is not a good enough reason? Are you also saying they will take your locking blade, but let you board with your weapon still?
I'm the milk man!

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #57 on: November 21, 2015, 10:42:15 PM

I'm not sure if I am understanding this correctly. Are you saying if you are military and travelling they will take a locking blade from you because you do not have good reason to carry it? Being in the military is not a good enough reason? Are you also saying they will take your locking blade, but let you board with your weapon still?

Yes that is exactly what I am saying

us Offline BASguy

Reply #58 on: November 22, 2015, 12:35:27 AM

The more of this nonsense I hear, the more grateful I am to be an Arizona Cowboy. 

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #59 on: November 22, 2015, 12:37:50 AM

The more of this nonsense I hear, the more grateful I am to be an Arizona Cowboy. 

:cheers: :cheers:
SAW

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31