Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How Do You Choose Your EDC Every Day? :D

N_N_R · 46 · 3129

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: How Do You Choose Your EDC Every Day? :D
Reply #30 on: April 03, 2015, 04:50:02 PM
Oh we struggle too  :whistle:.  When I get something "new to me" I want to carry it that day and even tho I have gear on me I'll just add it in  :D

When I got my Old Cross ReD Farmer I carried it everyday regardless of what I had already planned to carry  8).

I've even carried my Swisstool and Surge at the same time  :rofl:.  Its fun and if your pants dont drop down or pockets tear then its all good.   
Esse Quam Videri

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: April 03, 2015, 05:00:02 PM
Oh we struggle too  :whistle:.  When I get something "new to me" I want to carry it that day and even tho I have gear on me I'll just add it in  :D

So you dooo get my problem now, LOL. Less than two weeks ago I got that orange Buck Spitfire  :drool: and I still haven't got enough of it and then the Spydie Ambi arrived and I don't know which one to choose and and and  :ahhh

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #32 on: April 06, 2015, 08:28:29 PM
Ok, now I know what you meant, guys: I tried to EDC my once fave Fenix E11 again ... well, I managed 23hrs only, now I went back to my Lumintop Tool - I can't live without a small, AAA light with a clip. SIGH.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: April 06, 2015, 09:49:01 PM
Bit late to this party...

On any given day the things I know I'll need most are a phillips driver and scissors. A blade and pliers may not be needed,but are damn handy to have. A SAK is instantly recognisable,and is safe to use in public.

Everything after that boils down to wimsy :shrug: unless I'm doing a specific tasking( like a shooting comp,where it's my P.U.G and Safari Trooper) ;)
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #34 on: April 08, 2015, 06:04:24 AM
My gear serves as an outlet for my OCPD.  For example, I once sat down to inventory my GO bag, and four hours later I realized I'd just written a 10 page document that read like the Code of Federal Regulations, full of phrases like "Shall contain no fewer than".

I've worn the same make and model of cargo pants for the last 9 years with few exceptions, so I've always got the same pockets in the same places into which goes the same gear.  I'm the poster boy of Consistent Carry, only varying my loadout if my tasks for that day demand it.

I might make the occasional change in the standard, but it's a process.  I usually start with a list of the features I want in a new tool or something, and then go shopping.  When I find the closest thing, I research that thing specifically. Youtube reviews, forum posts, whatever.  Once I make the purchase, then I go through three steps of testing, usually involving sitting down and playing with it, inventing some little activity to try it out in action, and then actually carrying it with the old version somewhere nearby (Familiarization, Field Testing and Service Trial, I call them).  If I like it better than my previous gear, I make the change.

For some things it's not that bad.  When I discovered Sharpie makes Twin Tip markers, I bought one on the spot, drew a few lines with both ends, and started carrying it.  Switching from my Lenser K1 to a fauxton just took a few seconds of looking for something in my closet with the light turned off and taking one apart to see how it worked.  On the other hand, I ended up writing a full on Request for Proposals when I bought my sunglasses.

:think: Think I should tell my therapist?
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: April 08, 2015, 06:06:32 AM
My gear serves as an outlet for my OCPD.  For example, I once sat down to inventory my GO bag, and four hours later I realized I'd just written a 10 page document that read like the Code of Federal Regulations, full of phrases like "Shall contain no fewer than".

I've worn the same make and model of cargo pants for the last 9 years with few exceptions, so I've always got the same pockets in the same places into which goes the same gear.  I'm the poster boy of Consistent Carry, only varying my loadout if my tasks for that day demand it.

I might make the occasional change in the standard, but it's a process.  I usually start with a list of the features I want in a new tool or something, and then go shopping.  When I find the closest thing, I research that thing specifically. Youtube reviews, forum posts, whatever.  Once I make the purchase, then I go through three steps of testing, usually involving sitting down and playing with it, inventing some little activity to try it out in action, and then actually carrying it with the old version somewhere nearby (Familiarization, Field Testing and Service Trial, I call them).  If I like it better than my previous gear, I make the change.

For some things it's not that bad.  When I discovered Sharpie makes Twin Tip markers, I bought one on the spot, drew a few lines with both ends, and started carrying it.  Switching from my Lenser K1 to a fauxton just took a few seconds of looking for something in my closet with the light turned off and taking one apart to see how it worked.  On the other hand, I ended up writing a full on Request for Proposals when I bought my sunglasses.

What is this therapist witchcraft you speak of???
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: April 08, 2015, 08:13:22 AM
av8r1 I love it!  I think its a great way to go about deciding if new gear is worth carry time.  I in fact will be implementing your process ( FFTST ) whenever thinking about carrying new gear.

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: April 08, 2015, 02:22:38 PM
av8r1 I love it!  I think its a great way to go about deciding if new gear is worth carry time.  I in fact will be implementing your process ( FFTST ) whenever thinking about carrying new gear.

So sticking my hand in a bucket of gear isn't an effective method of picking my daily carry??
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #38 on: April 08, 2015, 02:27:30 PM
Hey, if it works for you.

That's us mobile
Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #39 on: April 08, 2015, 03:51:22 PM
I give a lot of thought on my EDC and rarely change. Only thing I used to change was my watch but now the Core is fixed on my wrist. When I buy something I EDC it for a couple of weeks and then decide if I will continue carrying it.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: April 08, 2015, 03:54:05 PM

So sticking my hand in a bucket of gear isn't an effective method of picking my daily carry??

Sounds like you have a method that works  :D
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #41 on: April 08, 2015, 05:44:19 PM
Last night I managed to cut the number of cards I carry by half. I had two 10-cig sized metal cases, now I just carry one. Also, I left my A6 Moleskin-like notebook home and took an A7 notebook.

I basically cut that pocket load in half!

:D :D :D :D

(The fountain pen I just got today, it's got the beginning of Poe's "The Raven" etched in it. Kewl!)
Card Notebook.jpg
* Card Notebook.jpg (Filesize: 148.94 KB)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 05:56:51 PM by pfrsantos »

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #42 on: April 08, 2015, 05:45:30 PM
Cool! Nice pen also.

That's us mobile
Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #43 on: April 09, 2015, 05:12:49 AM
Start with mankind's most important tools:

Sight. Glasses. And a flashlight.

The cutting edge. I put on my Minimalist before my glasses. I can't see my toes without my glasses. And my usual duo, my Rebar and my Compact.

The written word. Something to write with, something to write on.

The spoken word. Cell phone. And I'm embarrassed to admit that that I consider my phone to be minimalist EDC.

Stay warm. A lighter.

Barter. The wallet.

Mobility. Shoes. Car keys.

Something to put stuff in. Like my pack. Which is already full of stuff!

No. They try to take your gear away, say you have issues. They are just jealous. Or afraid you know something they don't.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 05:16:51 AM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #44 on: April 09, 2015, 07:30:48 AM
@ironraven,

That's a very interesting way to put it. Thanks for sharing  :tu:

us Offline Yaesu Man

Reply #45 on: April 15, 2015, 04:49:04 PM
My (on person) EDC pretty much remains constant unless I get a new toy.  I did take out a flashlight the other day that wasn't getting used and was taking up too much space, and threw it in my bag.  In the winter, I'll carry my Zippo in addition to the existing Bic in my pocket.  What I carry works pretty good, so if it ain't broke I ain't gonna fix it!
"Remember, if the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy." - Red Green

"The Second Ammendment is the only thing keeping them from taking the First." - Phil Valentine

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%