Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Factory 93mm ALOX w/ scissors!!!!! [UPDATE]

SAK Guy · 581 · 73020

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Victorinox Factory 93mm ALOX w/ scissors!!!!! [UPDATE]
Reply #420 on: February 08, 2016, 06:30:43 PM
A Farmer X would be awesome  :drool:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #421 on: February 08, 2016, 06:31:41 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks for the pics, shenkie  :cheers:

Now that this dream has materialised, why do I have a vague feeling of disappointment?

Still, I want me a couple of those.  :climber:  :facepalm:

Maybe because people like Syph have been doing it for years now.  Maybe because like anything we wanted it as a productional model for as long and its here now and not necessarily as special as we would have thought.  Don't get me wrong its great its finally here but we've seen such amazing mods from our resident modders already.   
Esse Quam Videri

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #422 on: February 08, 2016, 06:40:29 PM
Nice pictures!
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #423 on: February 08, 2016, 06:47:12 PM

But will it ever be? Do we have any information on that?  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #424 on: February 08, 2016, 06:48:40 PM

There have been rumors and if not lets start them here  :D

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #425 on: February 08, 2016, 06:51:00 PM

Could we start a kind of a self fulfilling prophecy do you think?  >:D

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #426 on: February 08, 2016, 10:19:33 PM

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #427 on: February 08, 2016, 11:16:04 PM

Could we start a kind of a self fulfilling prophecy do you think?  >:D

They might as well offer the metal saw too as it works interchangeably with the backspring for the wood saw.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

gr Offline Sakpan74Gr

Reply #428 on: February 08, 2016, 11:21:48 PM
A Pioneer X with pliers would be a great urban SAK.

Στάλθηκε από το YOGA Tablet 2-830F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #429 on: February 09, 2016, 03:50:45 AM

Now that this dream has materialised, why do I have a vague feeling of disappointment?

General Rule of Life:
The anticipation and excitement leading up to an event or experience - is invariably better than the experience itself  ???  :o  :D

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #430 on: February 09, 2016, 04:14:19 AM
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline BerkshireHunter

Reply #431 on: February 09, 2016, 05:03:47 AM

General Rule of Life:
The anticipation and excitement leading up to an event or experience - is invariably better than the experience itself  ???  :o  :D
Ya, it's probably not that revolutionary. Still very cool. Now I want one in some other color before even getting one.   >:D Black, maybe blue... 

I think I have about 8 farmers and not one is silver. Just because.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #432 on: February 09, 2016, 06:30:49 AM
Maybe one of our friends with access to these will help those of us across the pond with a Group buy?  Who's in??   :gimme: :gimme:

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #433 on: February 10, 2016, 09:04:35 PM

Very nice, and thanks for the pics Shenkie. As an industrial designer, I'm not happy about that nailnick and the way it's sloppily crossing the grind over to the flat though. That's missing eye for detail that we all appreciate so much.

Good catch! I knew something was wrong but I couldn't quite say what it was  :cheers:

However, I think that disappointment is due to the fact that now factory Pioneer + scissors is available and I want one (or three :D) but I doubt it will make it to my EDC; as much as I like my Farmer I prefer to EDC a Pioneer.

Now, if Vic made a ALOX Huntsman, that would be a different story  :whistle:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #434 on: February 10, 2016, 09:22:54 PM

Very nice, and thanks for the pics Shenkie. As an industrial designer, I'm not happy about that nailnick and the way it's sloppily crossing the grind over to the flat though. That's missing eye for detail that we all appreciate so much.

Good catch! I knew something was wrong but I couldn't quite say what it was  :cheers:

However, I think that disappointment is due to the fact that now factory Pioneer + scissors is available and I want one (or three :D) but I doubt it will make it to my EDC; as much as I like my Farmer I prefer to EDC a Pioneer.

Yup its the same story Ive heard over and over.  But we want scissors! Ok here you go... well it would be nice if it had tweezers too.. and pliers.. etc...  I wish I could find the quotes Victorinox said when they declared there would never be scissors on alox.  :D   :whistle:

Really people just want the nice alox scales on the normal 91mm line.  I think that is why the Ti conversion on 91s have been a popular request.  You get a fancy heavy duty SAK, with just the tools you want, for a bit more than the alox mods I used to do on 93s.   

There are only 2 benefits of alox over Ti, one is the variety of colors that can be anodized, and second is lighter weight.   I can solve the second by milling some material from the inside of the scales, but not much I can do about anodized colors.  However very few people want anodized Ti scales anyhow.

The Ti scales main advantage is extreme durability.  They can be used hard and always easily refinished by hand with some scotchbrite.  Or by machine by tumbling, or anodized.  All of which the end user can do with little trouble.  Got a bad ding on one end...?  just sand it out.  Alox by comparison is so fragile.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 09:25:20 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #435 on: February 10, 2016, 09:42:02 PM

Yup its the same story Ive heard over and over.  But we want scissors! Ok here you go... well it would be nice if it had tweezers too.. and pliers.. etc...  I wish I could find the quotes Victorinox said when they declared there would never be scissors on alox.  :D   :whistle:

Really people just want the nice alox scales on the normal 91mm line.  I think that is why the Ti conversion on 91s have been a popular request.  You get a fancy heavy duty SAK, with just the tools you want, for a bit more than the alox mods I used to do on 93s.   

There are only 2 benefits of alox over Ti, one is the variety of colors that can be anodized, and second is lighter weight.   I can solve the second by milling some material from the inside of the scales, but not much I can do about anodized colors.  However very few people want anodized Ti scales anyhow.

The Ti scales main advantage is extreme durability.  They can be used hard and always easily refinished by hand with some scotchbrite.  Or by machine by tumbling, or anodized.  All of which the end user can do with little trouble.  Got a bad ding on one end...?  just sand it out.  Alox by comparison is so fragile.

Your work, Syph, is surreal  :salute: In my case, the preference for a ALOX Huntsman has more to do with compromises; size/weight/most used tools ratio. I like the 93mm tools and having accepted (thankfully) that there isn't one SAK to rule them all, I think the ALOX Huntsman would be a SAK I'd be willing to EDC in town as well as in the countryside. One I could complement with some other SAK, too  :ahhh :D

Offline NG VI

Reply #436 on: February 10, 2016, 10:11:52 PM
My wallet...

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

gr Offline firiki

Reply #437 on: February 10, 2016, 10:20:45 PM

Question, would milling a checkered (I don't have an other word for it) pattern like the one on 93mm alox scales shave some weight off Ti scales? I like the grip that pattern provides, it works well with my sweaty hands. Ti seems slippery to me, maybe it's because of the polished finishing? 

us Offline sixracer

Reply #438 on: February 10, 2016, 11:15:23 PM
Greetings from the Golf Industry Show

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #439 on: February 10, 2016, 11:27:51 PM

Question, would milling a checkered (I don't have an other word for it) pattern like the one on 93mm alox scales shave some weight off Ti scales? I like the grip that pattern provides, it works well with my sweaty hands. Ti seems slippery to me, maybe it's because of the polished finishing?

Yes absolutely.  I did make some textured ones as a test just manually, but they are very grippy.  Smooth Ti is slippery ya, but the tumbled finish Ti isnt, nor is the bead blasted. 

When Ive got the CNC mill in I do plan to make the alox-like texture on Ti, that is just too complicated to do manually.

Ti alloys are stronger per the same amount of weight than Al, so I was just thinking a properly designed 3D machined Ti scale, could have alox like texture, and be pocketed out on the interior to be stronger and lighter than standard alox scales...

« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 11:29:12 PM by Syph007 »

gr Offline firiki

Reply #441 on: February 12, 2016, 10:19:56 AM

Yes absolutely.  I did make some textured ones as a test just manually, but they are very grippy.  Smooth Ti is slippery ya, but the tumbled finish Ti isnt, nor is the bead blasted. 

When Ive got the CNC mill in I do plan to make the alox-like texture on Ti, that is just too complicated to do manually.

Ti alloys are stronger per the same amount of weight than Al, so I was just thinking a properly designed 3D machined Ti scale, could have alox like texture, and be pocketed out on the interior to be stronger and lighter than standard alox scales...

You're an evil man and I'm beign tortured here :D  :cheers:

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #442 on: February 12, 2016, 02:36:33 PM

Also, I have never seen a 4 layer factory alox model of any kind, and like Syph mentioned, they are not creative enough to even put a file in?  :think:

Anyhow, there might be some new models from +B, lots of new combinations possible...

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #443 on: February 13, 2016, 03:34:32 PM
Now it is official, I want a black farmer X!  :climber:

Ps: That sounds weird now that I think about it...  :D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #444 on: February 13, 2016, 03:49:23 PM
We are getting them in March...
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #445 on: February 15, 2016, 02:50:39 AM
Now it is official, I want a black farmer X!  :climber:

Ps: That sounds weird now that I think about it...  :D

Yep...it does!   :facepalm:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #446 on: February 16, 2016, 05:08:22 PM

What are we getting in march? You are not talking about farmer x if I am not mistaken? At first there will only be pioneer x if I got it right?  :-[

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #447 on: February 16, 2016, 05:24:33 PM

What are we getting in march? You are not talking about farmer x if I am not mistaken? At first there will only be pioneer x if I got it right?  :-[
:rofl: way to go guys, you've successfully stated the Farmer X rumor. I ought to :twak: you all over the head for starting that smurf.

Farmer X dosent exsist at this point in time. its just wistful started on this thread. the Pioneer X is comming out in March.

Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #448 on: February 16, 2016, 05:59:12 PM

:rofl: way to go guys, you've successfully stated the Farmer X rumor. I ought to :twak: you all over the head for starting that smurf.

Farmer X dosent exsist at this point in time. its just wistful started on this thread. the Pioneer X is comming out in March.

Yeah....right. Next thing you'll be telling us is Racer X doesn't exist either.   :D

- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #449 on: February 16, 2016, 07:28:38 PM
I´ve just checked several german spoken sites. The Pioneers X are  mostly listed for delivery at the end of March.

Of course there can be a preorder... but I won´t do it. I´ve waited so many years for a production Alox w/ scissors, so a few weeks don´t bother me at all.  :salute:
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69