Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Cool looking boots

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Cool looking boots
on: August 05, 2008, 02:03:14 AM

"Tanker boots"...used by...tankers :D

I came across them on the net and they look different...anyone ever own a pair? 
[

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Re: Cool looking boots
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 02:14:04 AM
I actually have a pair of those in tan rough-out leather. I got them, tried them on and then tossed them in the closet for about a year. The straps just didn't work for me with regular socks. They were too loose and awkward to walk in.

After the year went by I pulled them out for summer cleaning and realized that I could cut new holes in the straps with an awl and get a better fit, then I bought some wool socks to fill out my foot more and now I wear them pretty regularly. I have the HH Brand 10" boots, the are quite literally the most comfortable boots I've ever owned after break-in.

I've been hiking with them, drove 4 hours wearing them and even played a hour and a half of tennis in them with extreme comfort. They do look pretty cool too and people tend ask about them. I'd buy another pair if I needed them.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 02:50:21 AM
I actually have a pair of those in tan rough-out leather. I got them, tried them on and then tossed them in the closet for about a year. The straps just didn't work for me with regular socks. They were too loose and awkward to walk in.

After the year went by I pulled them out for summer cleaning and realized that I could cut new holes in the straps with an awl and get a better fit, then I bought some wool socks to fill out my foot more and now I wear them pretty regularly. I have the HH Brand 10" boots, the are quite literally the most comfortable boots I've ever owned after break-in.

I've been hiking with them, drove 4 hours wearing them and even played a hour and a half of tennis in them with extreme comfort. They do look pretty cool too and people tend ask about them. I'd buy another pair if I needed them.

Tennis?  They must be comfortable :o 

How much did you pay and where if you don't mind me asking? 
[

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 05:15:12 PM
I got mine from Brigade Quartermasters. I think they were slightly cheaper when I bought them about a year and a half ago maybe $114.99?

Here's the link.

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 05:19:43 PM
they use ones similar or maybe even the same model in german bundeswehr,especially in tank squads.ive seen them also used by parachute troops.

theyre really good,if the steel cap if fitted properly,i had many years ago ones like those and one parachute jump boots and they had the steel caps gluead poorly,in a way that they chew their way out of leathers.

but theyre great to walk on woods.

Offline Hoghead

Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 01:21:09 AM
I used to wear these. I still have a pair but I don't wear them any more. They were comfortable enough, but I have only worn Gortex lined boots for the past few years.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 01:37:08 AM
I used to wear these. I still have a pair but I don't wear them any more. They were comfortable enough, but I have only worn Gortex lined boots for the past few years.

How were the tanker boots in the snow/slush/cold?

I'm looking for something nice and high for the snow this winter.
[

Offline Hoghead

Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 03:32:28 AM

How were the tanker boots in the snow/slush/cold?

I'm looking for something nice and high for the snow this winter.

I wouldn't wear these in snow unless I had rubber boots on over them. You could coat them with snow seal or neats foot oil to water proof them. Without treatment and/or rubber boots these boots would be OK to go to the store with but not for any serious outdoor winter use. I work outside in all weather in Minnesota and have for 30 years.

In the old days I wore two buckle overshoes with unlined/uninsulated leather boots that were treated with neats foot oil and I wore wool socks.

I was skeptical of Goretex lined boots when they first came out, but after wearing them I wouldn't wear anything else. I also don't need rubber boots anymore and that resulted in less weight on my feet. That reminds me to recommend that you check the weight of the boots (ie:how much they weigh in pounds) before you buy. Weight is not the only factor, but it is an important factor in your choice.

I can recommend Danner and Rocky brand boots. I just bought a new pair of boots at Gander Mountain. They are (AKU) brand, a brand I've never heard of but they are comfortable. I don't know how well they will hold up, but I favorably impressed so far.

Another thing I highly recommend is Smart Wool brand socks and any brand of liner sock.

Smart Wool is a brand of socks that use merino wool. They are well worth the money. The heavier they are the longer they last and the warmer they are. Here's a link just to show what I'm talking about.
http://www.rei.com/search?cat=4501773&brand=SmartWool&hist=cat%2C4501773%3AHiking+and+Backpacking+Socks%5Ebrand%2CSmartWool

The liner socks are to move moisture from your foot to the wool socks and from there the moisture in the form of vapor exits through the gortex. I prefer thinner liner socks, but any thickness works for me. Here's an example of the liners.
http://www.rei.com/product/620508

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 04:17:50 AM
Thanks for the info; I'm looking foward to at least trying a pair on sometime..I'm a little weary of buying footwear over the net...fitting can be tricky.
[

Offline Hoghead

Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 04:26:29 AM
...fitting can be tricky.

That's the reason I bought boots that were a brand I've never heard of. I was shopping for boots at Gander Mountain and I couldn't find any Rocky or Danner boots that fit. I wear 12EEE and it's hard to find boots that wide. If I couldn't find boots that fit at GanderMountain I was going to drive about 60 miles to a Cabella's. I know Cabella's has Gortex boots up to 4E.

Good luck in your search.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 06:24:18 AM
That's the reason I bought boots that were a brand I've never heard of. I was shopping for boots at Gander Mountain and I couldn't find any Rocky or Danner boots that fit. I wear 12EEE and it's hard to find boots that wide.

What dainty little feet you have.  ;>

I know where you guys are coming from about not wanting to buy boots online or by mail order.

My best fit varies from a size 9 to a size 11, with the width all over the place - it all depends on the manufacturer.

If I do buy boots online, I usually order a half-size to a whole size bigger than normal.  Then I can adjust them for a good fit using insoles.  With hiking boots, I try various insoles until I find the right thickness for a good fit while wearing two pair of socks.  With work boots, I adjust for one pair of socks.

N

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 08:05:23 AM
...fitting can be tricky.

That's the reason I bought boots that were a brand I've never heard of. I was shopping for boots at Gander Mountain and I couldn't find any Rocky or Danner boots that fit. I wear 12EEE and it's hard to find boots that wide. If I couldn't find boots that fit at GanderMountain I was going to drive about 60 miles to a Cabella's. I know Cabella's has Gortex boots up to 4E.

Good luck in your search.

a bit OT but what kind of sixe is 4e?

heres one cheap surplus store selling boots online,they sell good stuff,and i was looking at new army boots but giving the sizes in that kind of form is never heard-thing to even the sellers it seems;).

they have sizes like 6r,8n,9xn,12n,and really theres also size "i cant tell" in ordering form :ahhh

anyway i see these as really good ones,i own a pair of both,theyre finnish army´s issued items:

"M05"

the others are m/95

and these for more moist trips,and i use them at winters too:
Haix Tapio

i use sixe 45 or 11-11.5 depending on the country where its made.but mostly 45 or 11.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 08:37:33 AM
These folks make the best boots I've ever had...

http://www.altberg.co.uk/Web/altbergboots.jsp
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 08:46:14 AM
yes sir i know those,theyre superb  i bet,although ive only read about those,but theyre way out of my budget;).even the ones i got are expensive,but they have served me well over the years so it has been a good deal.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 03:08:36 PM
a bit OT but what kind of sixe is 4e?
they have sizes like 6r,8n,9xn,12n,and really theres also size "i cant tell" in ordering form :ahhh
i use sixe 45 or 11-11.5 depending on the country where its made.but mostly 45 or 11.

By 4e he means EEEE - which is a very wide boot.

IIRC, they are sized A, B, C, D, E from narrow to wide.  EEEE would be even wider than E.

American Army boots use the same number sizes as civilian boots.  Although I haven't bought any Army boots for awhile, IIRC instead of A-E for width they use:
-N (narrow)
-R (regular)
-W (wide)

One good thing about Army boots was that once I had settled on a size that fit well, I could mail order that size in any type of military boot with confidence it would about fit the same.

Boots made under contract for the American military have to be made using a special last (the Munson last) and stick to the same sizing system.

I remember that 9.5R was good for work boots and one pair of socks, and 10.5R was good for hiking boots and two pair of socks.

N

Offline Hoghead

Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 04:59:27 AM
ringzero,
Thanks for answering! I was off line.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 05:58:08 AM
Spent all day wearing them while helping friends move, here's some pics I took when I got home.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #17 on: August 12, 2008, 03:25:24 PM
Thanks for the pics Spoon...these are definately on my "to get" list.  I haven't worn a pair but it seems you'd be able to wear them with jeans/pants on the inside of the boot if you're heading out inot snow or rain...something I can't do with my boots now, they always get wet.

How does the size compare to something like a Converse sneaker?  Do these boots run a size smaller?

I take a 9.5 sneaker and I think my Timberland boots are 9; not sure the writing on the tags has worn off :P
[

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 12, 2008, 04:49:11 PM
There's more than enough room to tuck jeans/pants into the boots for inclement weather. I haven't worn them in any snow but they do fine in the rain.

Sizing; all of my sneakers are size 13 and the boots are a size 12. So figure the boots, for me, are a full size smaller than my sneakers.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #19 on: August 12, 2008, 06:11:38 PM
There's more than enough room to tuck jeans/pants into the boots for inclement weather. I haven't worn them in any snow but they do fine in the rain.

Sizing; all of my sneakers are size 13 and the boots are a size 12. So figure the boots, for me, are a full size smaller than my sneakers.

That same formula works for me I've found..

Another question...in the descriptions it says there's a steel shank for support somewhere...but where?  In the sole of the boot?

I really wish they had a steel toe/anti puncture sole version out there.
[

Offline nezza33

Reply #20 on: August 12, 2008, 09:07:09 PM
Today i went to polis and there was a outdoor store that sold leathermans.I bought a wave for 80 euros!!! They also had some nice boots in.
J

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: August 13, 2008, 02:07:51 AM

Another question...in the descriptions it says there's a steel shank for support somewhere...but where?  In the sole of the boot?

Hmm. The description I found called it a "Steel Paratrooper Shank" but I'm not sure what that is. It's not in the upper anywhere though, I can tell that much by manhandling the boot around and seeing the flex areas. Maybe some sort of arch support in the sole?

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #22 on: August 13, 2008, 03:08:06 AM
Makes sense to have it in the sole...if you're a paratrooper about to hit the ground after a jump maybe there's a slightly flexable metal strip in the sole that prevents the boot (and your foot inside) from bending too far ???

Anyways I've got my credit card out and might purchase a pair..Brigade Quartermasters has a return policy I can use if the size I order doesn't fit.  I've never ordered from them but I hear their name come up quite a bit.
[

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #23 on: August 15, 2008, 05:26:04 PM
AFAIK "shank" in footwear, regardless of the material, always refers to a plate in the midsole/sole.
- Terry

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #24 on: August 17, 2008, 06:08:55 PM

Hmm. The description I found called it a "Steel Paratrooper Shank" but I'm not sure what that is. It's not in the upper anywhere though, I can tell that much by manhandling the boot around and seeing the flex areas. Maybe some sort of arch support in the sole?

A steel shank is a thicker piece of steel located in the midsole primarily designed to stiffen the boot - i.e. reduce longitudinal flex of the boot sole.

Steel anti-puncture shields are thinner and are not designed to limit longitudinal flex of the boot.

US Army Tropical Combat Boots all have steel anti-puncture shields (at least they used to have them as I haven't bought any for several years.)  They are barely noticeable in use - you can occasionally feel or hear them flex when the sole is bent to an extreme angle.

The "Tanker" style boot IS available with the steel saftey toes - I can recall seeing them at some store, but exactly which store I can't recall.

It's a fairly popular style of boot and most of the popular styles are available with steel safety toes.  If you check around the various manufacturers of work/industrial boots you'll probably find what you want.

N

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD