Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking for a multi tool with the best blade option

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Re: Looking for a multi tool with the best blade option
Reply #30 on: September 01, 2015, 08:17:13 PM
MT flail.......dudes, don't give me ideas  :rofl:

I always figured a Core with both blades out would make a mess....

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #31 on: September 01, 2015, 08:52:25 PM
OK boys and girls filming is done for the Multi-Tool Tactical Lanyard. Putting it together now, but I promise, it will be aweful
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: September 01, 2015, 09:38:24 PM
Ok, here is the link for the Multi Tool Tactical Lanyard video. Its bad. Really Bad.

*Braces for impact*

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #33 on: September 01, 2015, 09:49:37 PM
Ha, I liked it! One thing- don't be so hard on yourself! Just talk like we're listening, don't worry about critiquing yourself so hard. We don't judge  :D

Looks like a nifty way to dispatch would-be assassins  :twak:

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: September 01, 2015, 10:00:22 PM
Thank you SAKnight. I'm glad you liked it, and glad I could bring something (even if its silly) to the table

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: September 01, 2015, 10:13:03 PM
Loved it mate  :D
A for effort and another A for going through with it...  :tu:

Here's a suggestion... skip the long paracord shtick.. that's wuxia movie scifi technique... unless you're called Jackie Chan, it won't work. The skill level required to handle it properly, get proper momentum and control is too high...

Go to 0:36 and keep the lanyard as is, don't unravel it... hold the bunch of cord for extra grip and try swinging it as is... you'll get more of a nunchuck than a flail (or more of a kusari fundo, like you made there on the first try).

I'd explain it myself with a video, but I live in a block of flats, it's nighttime and I don't want my knots to break and throw a Surge from the fourth floor  :D
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 10:15:53 PM by Corwyn »
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #36 on: September 01, 2015, 10:14:42 PM
 :D :D :D

I loved the cautions little looks to each side, to make sure you weren't going to be approached by a neighbour and having to explain why you were filming yourself twirling some pliers round on a piece of string  :rofl:

:tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: September 01, 2015, 10:16:31 PM
Haha I like where this thread went.  Great video!  :salute: for actually making one :)

us Offline tommywp

Reply #38 on: September 01, 2015, 10:20:23 PM
Ha. Awesome. The things you'll do when stuck at home during nap time....

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: September 01, 2015, 10:37:29 PM
Loved it mate  :D
A for effort and another A for going through with it...  :tu:

Here's a suggestion... skip the long paracord shtick.. that's wuxia movie scifi technique... unless you're called Jackie Chan, it won't work. The skill level required to handle it properly, get proper momentum and control is too high...

Go to 0:36 and keep the lanyard as is, don't unravel it... hold the bunch of cord for extra grip and try swinging it as is... you'll get more of a nunchuck than a flail (or more of a kusari fundo, like you made there on the first try).

I'd explain it myself with a video, but I live in a block of flats, it's nighttime and I don't want my knots to break and throw a Surge from the fourth floor  :D

Its mostly for fun, I know it's impracticaly long. may as wel just have a regular lanyard loop if you want the nunchuck effect. As for the block of flats... why not? I live in an apartment complex, which I assume is the American equivalent. :pok:

Does the surge have an attached lanyard loop? Or just the quick release? If its just the  quick release, may want to look for a wave or Super Tool...I

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: September 01, 2015, 10:44:15 PM
Haha I like where this thread went.  Great video!  :salute: for actually making one :)
Thank you! Its not how I planned on spending the afternoon, but madefor an interesting thread
Ha. Awesome. The things you'll do when stuck at home during nap time....
[
Yeah pretty much. Usually I just clean, this was way more fun

:D :D :D

I loved the cautions little looks to each side, to make sure you weren't going to be approached by a neighbour and having to explain why you were filming yourself twirling some pliers round on a piece of string  :rofl:

:tu:

Thats exactly what that was, last thing I need is the neibhors asking akward questions...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #41 on: September 01, 2015, 11:05:10 PM
First off that was AWESOME.  Thanks for following thru with it. 

Also like 50 said I too like the head turn from side to side.  Who would have known this thread would be the ultimate DERAIL  :rofl:.   
Esse Quam Videri

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: September 01, 2015, 11:14:51 PM
And whenever you're afraid of what people might comment on your videos.. remember Billy John  ::)

And before censorship police hits...  :whistle:

Show content
Are you over 18?
Show content
Are you sure you're over 18 and not easily offendable?
Show content

Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: September 01, 2015, 11:56:11 PM
 :rofl:

Thread getting funnier and funnier. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline tommywp

Reply #44 on: September 02, 2015, 12:02:59 AM
First off that was AWESOME.  Thanks for following thru with it. 

Also like 50 said I too like the head turn from side to side.  Who would have known this thread would be the ultimate DERAIL  :rofl:.   

Ha. Good point. This may in fact be the ultimate derail. Awesome!

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: September 02, 2015, 12:04:34 AM
Oh man this is getting bad, I cant believe this started as a self defense thread.... usually this stuff just bursts into flames. Instead I just hijacked some poor guys thread..... oh well it :D :oops:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 12:06:28 AM by sLaughterMed »

us Offline tommywp

Reply #46 on: September 02, 2015, 12:06:58 AM
Not a bad thing buddy. It's usually done in a much less entertaining fashion.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #47 on: September 02, 2015, 04:25:32 AM
Lanyard? Flail?

-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

Offline Dmitry Po

• New User
Reply #48 on: September 02, 2015, 04:34:46 AM
... lots of replies by the time I got back from work.

About 90% of pocket knives out there are designed around a drop point/tanto blade, with the intent of at least looking like a weapon. Hey.. I didn't invent the idea. I'm only looking for one that has another purpose of a multi tool.

Thank you for your advice, I looked over all the options, I will try a few and maybe post back here if one of them seems durable and reliable enough to be an EDC knife.

Thanks,
-D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #49 on: September 02, 2015, 07:36:32 AM
I would think that around 90% of the folding knives carried will have a spear blade, rather than a tanto or drop point
=> Victorinox/Wenger sell more folding knives worldwide than most of the other makers together.  :D

Some knives will have a drop point blade, like some buck and case models, but very few will have the Tanto blade.

I do not see how a Buck or Case or GEC knife or even a CS with a drop point blade is intended to look like a weapon. The blade has other functions too.
Bayonet knives, intended to be used like a weapon, by design, are not necessarily Tanto or drop point.

With the exception of a few "tactical  :o  " makers/brands most other makers will have very few if any tanto blade options.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: September 02, 2015, 08:23:19 AM
:imws:
Victorinoxes are spear points, Opinels are yatagan-shaped, Spydercos are mostly leaf-shaped, Kershaw Ken Onions are mostly spear points... I think only these guys make well over 50% of the folding knife market (probably quite a bit more, especially if you add their clones)...

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: September 02, 2015, 09:46:14 AM
It's OK, spearpoint is the best point if you want to stab someone :2tu:. Just look at fighting knifes: Stilletto, Dirk, Bollock, Fairbairn/Applegate, Swiss Dagger.
The Tanto is an exception and I don't know to what extend the design was influenced by tradition / application.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: September 02, 2015, 03:07:13 PM
It's OK, spearpoint is the best point if you want to stab someone :2tu:. Just look at fighting knifes: Stilletto, Dirk, Bollock, Fairbairn/Applegate, Swiss Dagger.
The Tanto is an exception and I don't know to what extend the design was influenced by tradition / application.

Ive heard that the tanto was either

a) influenced by the Japanese Katana, and was adopted for knives by some unknown maker OR

b) designed and created by unknown maker to pierce body armor more effectivly.

While I have nothing to back up either of these origin claims, or its armor piercing ability, theres little argument that in most cases, the tanto style creates a strong tip without comprising its pokieness or stabbiness.

I think the real reason all those fighting knives were spearpoint was because they were actually daggers, with both sides able to be sharpened. This gave the knife (and user) an advantage in a fight, as they could slash with both sides of the knife (however, I dont really know anything about knife fighting, so this is just armchair conjecture).

I suspect that tanto blades have an advantage over spear points with only side sharpened, as there is more cutting edge at the front, and the point has a more acute angle

« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 03:08:27 PM by sLaughterMed »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%