Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Glass Age

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
The Glass Age
on: November 22, 2015, 07:42:02 PM
According to Adam and Jamie (aka the Mythbusters) in the following video, there is an argument to be made that we are living in the Glass Age.

As a bit of a warning, this video and the one that follow are sponsored by Corning, the company that produces a good chunk of glass products for a number of different applications.  While the first video is quite generalized, the second part seems very much like a commercial for Owens Corning, so be warned.  Still worth watching though.

Getting back to the premise though, the idea is that we live in the Glass Age because virtually everything we use has some type of glass in it, and I agree...... sort of.

I don't think they are broad enough in their conclusion that glass is important in almost every aspect of our society.  In fact, I think more accurately we will be seen as living in the Silicon Age, as silicon is, among other things, one of the basic ingredients in glass.  Further, many everyday products we have or use contain silicone, from sealants and glues to most modern cookware, to watch straps, bungee cords and yes, even clothing. Plus, just about everything nowadays is computerized, and computer chips are silicon.

So.... I figure we are in the Silicon Age rather than the Glass Age, and as far as I'm concerned, every argument made for Glass is also a point in favor of silicon.

Sorry Adam and Jamie..... but we have to disagree on this one!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: The Glass Age
Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 07:47:43 PM
Don't forget the need for silicone for Hollywood.  :P

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 08:38:47 PM
Don't forget the need for silicone for Hollywood.  :P
I feel that silicone is more important to the Los Angeles film industry than Hollywood....
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 10:01:05 PM
Good point.  That's hardly an application that was feasible in the Bronze Age....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 10:38:22 PM
Without having watched the video yet I do wonder how we are defining "age".  Glass has been around for a couple of thousand years after-all.  While I don't deny the importance of glass and silicone in our everyday lives, surely we need to acknowledge the impact of plastics and other synthetic materials as being a defining material of our world.

Definitely need to watch the video.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 10:54:36 PM
While it's obviously a promotional production, I'm not entirely sure who it's aimed at  :think:

Without having watched the video yet I do wonder how we are defining "age".  Glass has been around for a couple of thousand years after-all.  While I don't deny the importance of glass and silicone in our everyday lives, surely we need to acknowledge the impact of plastics and other synthetic materials as being a defining material of our world.

Definitely need to watch the video.

Agreed!  :tu: We are advancing all manner of materials, not just glass. So the glass age tag line is just a marketing thing. I didn't see the second video, so maybe there's more clues as to the target audience and "message" in that one

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 02:58:28 AM
Without having watched the video yet I do wonder how we are defining "age".  Glass has been around for a couple of thousand years after-all.

As soon as I read that, I had the urge to try knapping the screen out of an smartphone. Just to see.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%