Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

No new Leathermans in 2016?

rdub934 · 129 · 11582

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Re: No new Leathermans in 2016?
Reply #30 on: December 13, 2015, 08:11:33 AM
Just use a vise.  ;)
::)

Nice loadout Obi. Around the time I was thinking of modding my Rebar to knifeless, the Knifeless Rebar/Skeletool RX thread appeared. So, that plan is on hold, until I find out what LM is putting out at SHOT.

And Obi, that Rebar looks great. I think id switch out the small bit driver for another flathead though. Then I can keep one of the more exotic bits in it, and carry that one in my pocket.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #31 on: December 13, 2015, 05:45:16 PM
Based on my experenice with Mini-Surge and Wave, i have say i like Wave's pilers head more, maybe because i dont cut enough hard wire to wear out the Wave head.

Quick question Kam, does switching the plier heads alter handle splay, or are they the same?
Exactly the same, sir.

Thanks for the clarification  :cheers: nice to know that if any future offerings have excessive splay and bear the same head, that the issue is in the handles rather than the head itself  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: December 13, 2015, 08:30:10 PM
Given all the complaining and raging over LM's recent offerings,maybe we should be happy there no 2016 releases?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: December 13, 2015, 08:44:01 PM
Given all the complaining and raging over LM's recent offerings,maybe we should be happy there no 2016 releases?

That was pretty much my first response in this thread  :D

I want them to spend a little more time thinking before they make their next move. I think they need to put more thought into ergonomics and usage, rather than what I perceive as being just looking for the next marketing angle.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: December 13, 2015, 08:47:12 PM

That was pretty much my first response in this thread  :D

I want them to spend a little more time thinking before they make their next move. I think they need to put more thought into ergonomics and usage, rather than what I perceive as being just looking for the next marketing angle.

Oh Al,your such a romantic :D
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: December 13, 2015, 08:48:02 PM
Always!  :rofl:

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: December 13, 2015, 08:55:56 PM
I don't have much time for leatherman these days (victorinox too)
I'm pretty disgusted that they've never released a blunt nose tool - instead they constantly market their silly gadget ideas using unrealistic scenarios down our throats.

Same goes for victorinox, they bore the pants off me too these days. Not even a whiff of originality to be seen anywhere in the past decade, just a never ending stream of banal configurations and who now seem to be fixated on relaunching their Wenger-clone franchise.....dull....dull....dull

SOG and Gerber should seriously consider marketing a new concept that's well thought out and more importantly well made. The MT & SAK market is so stagnant at the moment. But that's possibly because of restrictive held patents.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 08:57:10 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: December 13, 2015, 09:22:11 PM
I'm pretty disgusted that they've never released a blunt nose tool - instead they constantly market their silly gadget ideas using unrealistic scenarios down our throats.

Same goes for victorinox, they bore the pants off me too these days. Not even a whiff of originality to be seen anywhere in the past decade, just a never ending stream of banal configurations and who now seem to be fixated on relaunching their Wenger-clone franchise.....dull....dull....dull

SOG and Gerber should seriously consider marketing a new concept that's well thought out and more importantly well made. The MT & SAK market is so stagnant at the moment. But that's possibly because of restrictive held patents.
Two things Vic should do that would destroy the competition: a deluxe explorer (explorer with pliers) and offer custom load out saks.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: December 13, 2015, 09:29:52 PM

Two things Vic should do that would destroy the competition: a deluxe explorer (explorer with pliers) and offer custom load out saks.

Competition??  :think:

What competition?? They have no competition, they've removed their sole competitor, which explains perfectly why they are soooooooo DULL!!!......yawn!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 10:07:56 PM by tosh »

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #39 on: December 13, 2015, 10:02:03 PM
I would like to see some OHT variants. I would love to get my hands on an OHT, but I just can't see a need for 3 cutting implements (two knives AND a strap cutter) and one of them is not scissors. Combine the SE and strap cutter! At most, I want ONE knife on a MT. Replace the SE and Strap cutter with some scissors and... I dunno, something else. General purpose OHT would be great.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: December 13, 2015, 10:02:49 PM

Custom loadout SAKS would be amazing! :tu:
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: December 13, 2015, 10:25:46 PM
Custom loadout SAKs would be amazing unaffordable!!
Seriously, the labour costs would be mind-boggling.

But I think victorinox and leatherman and all others should open up to us the buyers and listen to what we want.

How hard would it be to create design software where we the buyers could interact. If one particular configuration was repeated say 500 times it should be put forward for future releases.

As it is, they all play the same game...."take it or leave it" seems to be their motto these days!
 :whistle:
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 10:46:59 PM by tosh »

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: December 13, 2015, 10:56:53 PM

But I think victorinox and leatherman and all others should open up to us the buyers and listen to what we want.

How hard would it be to create design software where we the buyers could interact. If one particular configuration was repeated say 500 times it should be put forward for future releases.

As it is, they all play the same game...."take it or leave it" seems to be their motto these days!

I think Leatherman should adapt their Wingman/Sidekick/Rev line into a "build your own" platform. It's not the most loved product they offer but it's a solid tool, it's easy to work on, and it has a fair starting price. This would not really compete with their premium products but would really inject some life into that particular product line. They already offer several different bits that are compatible with them, so maybe adding a handful more to up the possible configurations.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: December 13, 2015, 11:55:57 PM
Victorinox are certainly dull from a collector perspective, unless you like collecting the same thing over and over in different colours or with different patterned scales. However, from a user perspective, you know you can always go back and the model you want should you need to, knowing it will have everything it had last time, and at the same standard of quality. Boring but safe.

Leatherman however, have phased out all the tools of theirs I'd want to buy, except one (the Wave). When the inevitable happens and the plier head is "upgraded", there won't be a single tool in their line up that I'd want to buy as a user. Zip! Zilch! Nothing!

Gerber on the other hand, still have the Mp400, MP600, Diesel, Dime, Strata, and Balance, which has all proven perfectly capable in various settings, comfortable to use, and with better gripping areas ..... all at a more comfortable price too.

From a tool USER perspective, Vic or Gerber are offering me stuff I would want to buy (if I didn't already have them). Leatherman are not. Simple as that. Replicating the same ergonomic faux pas and impeded gripping areas in new models with premium pricing structures won't win me back either.

I appreciate others have different views and experiences, and don't have the issues I do with the current LM offerings  :cheers:

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #44 on: December 14, 2015, 12:27:10 AM
I like what Al said about Gerber. You get a top quality tool for a reasonable price and my butt hole doesn't seem to hurt like when I buy a Leatherman product  :whistle:
SAW

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #45 on: December 14, 2015, 08:59:12 PM

I think Leatherman should adapt their Wingman/Sidekick/Rev line into a "build your own" platform. It's not the most loved product they offer but it's a solid tool, it's easy to work on, and it has a fair starting price. This would not really compete with their premium products but would really inject some life into that particular product line. They already offer several different bits that are compatible with them, so maybe adding a handful more to up the possible configurations.

I assume you mean loved by MT maniacs like the crowd here. The Wingman has been a huge seller.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: December 15, 2015, 10:36:21 PM

I assume you mean loved by MT maniacs like the crowd here. The Wingman has been a huge seller.

That is precisely what I meant. Good catch, I should have clarified. And FWIW I actually really like my Wingman. I would hazard a guess that I actually see more Wingmans or Sidekicks on "normal people" than any other type. Maybe MP600s, but it's CLOSE :D

us Offline BASguy

Reply #47 on: December 16, 2015, 01:10:50 AM
Frankly, as a serious multi tool user, Gerber offers a far better tool in its MP400/600 configurations than anything Leatherman brings to the table these days.  Leatherman offers exactly zero tools I would consider buying in their current lineup. 
I've been giving out MP600's to my guys as a monthly safety award.  After 5 giveaways ALL 5 guys have replaced their Leathermans with the Gerbers for daily use.  Several other guys have now purchased MP600's on their own.  There was a bit of a conversation on multi tools at the last meeting and the topic revolved around the theme that "Leathermans stuff is just overpriced junk now".
That about sums it up.

Sent from 9 miles from the face of the sun

us Offline sawman

Reply #48 on: December 16, 2015, 01:15:45 AM
Frankly, as a serious multi tool user, Gerber offers a far better tool in its MP400/600 configurations than anything Leatherman brings to the table these days.  Leatherman offers exactly zero tools I would consider buying in their current lineup. 
I've been giving out MP600's to my guys as a monthly safety award.  After 5 giveaways ALL 5 guys have replaced their Leathermans with the Gerbers for daily use.  Several other guys have now purchased MP600's on their own.  There was a bit of a conversation on multi tools at the last meeting and the topic revolved around the theme that "Leathermans stuff is just overpriced junk now".
That about sums it up.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

You, Sir, are setting a terrific example with the MP600's (my favorite tool). Keep up the good work :tu:
SAW

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: December 16, 2015, 01:53:38 AM
That about sums it up.

Wow! When I find myself out of a job, I want to come work for you. :D Very generous of you, and that has to be a wonderful motivating factor for your guys. Kudos to you - not enough cool bosses in the world :tu:

us Offline BASguy

Reply #50 on: December 16, 2015, 02:11:29 AM

That about sums it up.

Wow! When I find myself out of a job, I want to come work for you. :D Very generous of you, and that has to be a wonderful motivating factor for your guys. Kudos to you - not enough cool bosses in the world :tu:

I'm pretty sure I get far more productivity out of a happy employee than what the $35 cost me. 
I started this monthly giveaway with Wingmen (because they were cheap) and the first guy broke his pliers head trying to twist off a pneumatic actuator head....fail.  The second guy gave his to his kid because it wasn't on par with his SuperTool.  Fair enough on that.  I then did a Rebar and it was a nail breaker.  Sent it in to Leatherman and they sent back a new in package one, same story.  I ended up throwing that in my desk drawer and have him one of my Vic Spirits.  He made out great.  In any case, the MP600 seems to be the tool of choice so I guess I will stick with that.  I'm about a year into this now and seems like it's worked out pretty good so far. 

us Offline sawman

Reply #51 on: December 16, 2015, 02:15:00 AM
May I ask which version MP600 you prefer to use/give away? The pro scout or standard issue and wharncliff or clip blade?

SAW

us Offline BASguy

Reply #52 on: December 16, 2015, 02:26:28 AM
Standard BO one.  I guess that's called standard. 

us Offline sawman

Reply #53 on: December 16, 2015, 02:29:07 AM
They should be standard issue for all law enforcement, firemen and military.
SAW

us Offline BASguy

Reply #54 on: December 16, 2015, 02:36:03 AM
Personally, I think they are the best multitool on the market right now.  I just don't see how you get a better, more capable tool for under $40 from any other manufacturer.  Vic makes a more quality tool, but I'm not sure it's more functional/useful and the price point is substantially higher.

us Offline sawman

Reply #55 on: December 16, 2015, 02:40:45 AM
I'm a big Vic fan but I don't think their MT's are worth the asking prices. I also don't believe it's better quality.
SAW

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: December 16, 2015, 04:04:07 AM
I'm a big Vic fan but I don't think their MT's are worth the asking prices. I also don't believe it's better quality.

Regarding this, I was looking at an Explorer the other day at Scheels and they were asking $45! That seems preposterous. I really want to get a Craftsman, but those things are $65!!! I know it's "Swiss made" but I can't get along with paying THAT much for a SAK. I will continue cruising EvilBay until the right deal comes along.

us Offline BASguy

Reply #57 on: December 16, 2015, 06:14:48 AM

Regarding this, I was looking at an Explorer the other day at Scheels and they were asking $45! That seems preposterous. I really want to get a Craftsman, but those things are $65!!! I know it's "Swiss made" but I can't get along with paying THAT much for a SAK. I will continue cruising EvilBay until the right deal comes along.

.....or you could just get a new BO MP600 for $38 at The Big Orange home improvement center.  It's "USA made"

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #58 on: December 16, 2015, 11:45:29 AM
Good to know that my Surge is an over priced piece if junk. I don't know how I ever fixed anything with it. Good thing I never used it hard on anything like farm machinery, trucks, chainsaws, barbed wire, vacuum pumps, pressure regs, striped out nuts and bolts...
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #59 on: December 16, 2015, 02:33:00 PM
Good to know that my Surge is an over priced piece if junk. I don't know how I ever fixed anything with it. Good thing I never used it hard on anything like farm machinery, trucks, chainsaws, barbed wire, vacuum pumps, pressure regs, striped out nuts and bolts...

:tu:

My Rebar is holding up just fine as well. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%