Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Who belt carries big multitools?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Who belt carries big multitools?
Reply #30 on: January 11, 2016, 11:44:03 AM
(Image removed from quote.)
I have no clue about what an S54 toolchest+ weighs, along with the sheath from a swisschamp XAVT

Sent from my outdated communication device using an obsolete application

I love the Tool Chest Plus!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline aerojet

• My Wenger...
Reply #31 on: January 11, 2016, 03:20:23 PM
Just pulled my Vic Evo Grip S54 off my belt and tossed it on the postal scale -- 9.1 ounces. I am not sure what that is in metric... it is in the "24" pouch, with snap, red.
The early bird may get the worm, but it is second mouse which gets the CHEESE !!

The only easy day was yesterday.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #32 on: January 11, 2016, 06:35:27 PM
Just pulled my Vic Evo Grip S54 off my belt and tossed it on the postal scale -- 9.1 ounces. I am not sure what that is in metric... it is in the "24" pouch, with snap, red.

That's really heavy for a knife. Though it does have a ton of implements. How does that one feel in hand? The "Grip" scales are so thick, it seems like a larger tool would end up massively bulky with them. My only SAK from that line is an EvoGrip S18, which I really like.

us Offline aerojet

• My Wenger...
Reply #33 on: January 11, 2016, 09:31:42 PM
Woods duck - see my post on "Get a Grip" - your questions will be answered.
The early bird may get the worm, but it is second mouse which gets the CHEESE !!

The only easy day was yesterday.

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #34 on: January 12, 2016, 06:03:07 PM
I made this a while ago based on measurements from my kitchen scale. Puts things in perspective a bit. I don't belt carry the Surge, but I have no problem with a Swisstool. I think part of that is the Swisstool's cheap nylon sheath, which doesn't take up much space and rides nice. I have a bigger problem with heavy knives clipped in my pocket (4oz is about my limit there) than heavy MTs on my belt.

May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #35 on: January 12, 2016, 06:42:50 PM
I made this a while ago based on measurements from my kitchen scale. Puts things in perspective a bit. I don't belt carry the Surge, but I have no problem with a Swisstool. I think part of that is the Swisstool's cheap nylon sheath, which doesn't take up much space and rides nice. I have a bigger problem with heavy knives clipped in my pocket (4oz is about my limit there) than heavy MTs on my belt.

Nice graph. Very comprehensive :tu:
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #36 on: January 12, 2016, 07:25:45 PM

Nice graph. Very comprehensive :tu:

Thanks! I need to add a few more things that have come out in the last year or two... I've been on hiatus from MTs for a little while (got into flashlights), but I have a Signal and a SwitchPlier 2.0 coming soon. :D
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #37 on: January 17, 2016, 05:33:07 PM
I routinely carry my OG Super Tool in its pouch on my belt.  It just seems a bit big for pocket carry to me.  I was surprised the Surge outweighed it!  I was packing my son's Swisschamp the other day and hardly noticed it on my belt, which surprised me.  Maybe it's the center of gravity?!  I never have an issue NOT knowing the Super Tool isn't there.
Barry

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: January 17, 2016, 07:32:48 PM
Belt carry almost exclusively.

Anything larger than the Gerber Clutch/LM PS4 is in a sheath on the belt or in the backpack.  Been that way for me since I got my first LM PST.  Same for my SAKs...anything larger than 3 layers is usually in a sheath on my belt.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: January 17, 2016, 07:47:14 PM

Nicely done...thx  :hatsoff:

You can add the Gerber Strata at 223gr....
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #40 on: January 18, 2016, 09:05:27 PM
My heaviest multitools are the Victorinox Craftsman and the Leatherman Super Tool--both at roughly a half a pound each. I carry them in my pockets most of the time, even though the Craftsman has a no-name Mexican made leather sheath and the Super Tool has a nylon Leatherman Wave sheath.  I have no problem pocket carrying them, but often alternate between pocket and sheath--depending on what's most comfortable or appropriate.

I've pocket carried the 4-layer Victorinox Fieldmaster since childhood, so I've kind of become used to pocket carrying the big stuff.  But, the good thing about a skinny pocketknife or SAK is that there is no lump in my pocket created by it.  As a result, I often carry a Victorinox Model 1961 Soldier when in public since it's so thin.  Everything else I usually need is covered by a pair of 6-inch needlenose Vise Grips and a Swsscard.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 09:12:13 PM by cody6268 »

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #41 on: January 18, 2016, 11:48:49 PM
Not that it's anywhere near the size of the Super Tool, but I pocket carried my Huntsman for 30 years and never thought anything of it until I picked up a Recruit, then I learned how much knife the Huntsman can be.  My son brought up the point of the cursed pocket lint getting into the works, which is right, but at least in the pocket you know it's there.  I gotta try the Super Tool for pocket carry and see how it works.  I carry the PST in my pocket at work exclusively.
Barry

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #42 on: January 26, 2016, 02:57:23 PM
I would if i where a plumber or someone who has a working truck/van and doesn't have a shop full of tools. But as i am a student it is not really an option for me. Especially because knife are forbidden at school. :facepalm:
So i carry them concealed.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: January 26, 2016, 03:04:31 PM
Not that it's anywhere near the size of the Super Tool, but I pocket carried my Huntsman for 30 years and never thought anything of it until I picked up a Recruit, then I learned how much knife the Huntsman can be.  My son brought up the point of the cursed pocket lint getting into the works, which is right, but at least in the pocket you know it's there.  I gotta try the Super Tool for pocket carry and see how it works.  I carry the PST in my pocket at work exclusively.
The OG Supertool is actually pretty thin compared to its younger brothers. Its almost exactly the same size as a Rebar in all dimensions except length, as it is 4.5" instead of the Rebars 4".

Its the only big Leatherman ive  ever considered pocket carrying (too bad I broke it before I could enjoy it...)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 03:11:05 PM by sLaughterMed »

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #44 on: January 26, 2016, 03:44:24 PM
The OG Supertool is actually pretty thin compared to its younger brothers. Its almost exactly the same size as a Rebar in all dimensions except length, as it is 4.5" instead of the Rebars 4".

Its the only big Leatherman ive  ever considered pocket carrying (too bad I broke it before I could enjoy it...)

Do tell, how did you break it and what broke ?

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: January 26, 2016, 04:06:56 PM

Do tell, how did you break it and what broke ?
:facepalm:
It was a bit rusty, so i let it soak in vinegar for a few days. Unfortunately, I was a tad inebriated when I put it in the bath, and I thought, "hey sLaughterMed, I bet the vinegar would penetrate better if you fan the blades out in the vinegar bath." So I did. and forgot about it until I took it out 48 hours later.

Needless to say, both locksprings broke off as soon as I tried to close the tool. I still feel bad (not to mention stupid) about it, as I actually really liked the tool. I fessed up to Leatherman, who went ahead and sent me a ST300 anyhow (which I traded away, as it was much wider than the OG Supertool).

Lesson learned I suppose.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #46 on: January 26, 2016, 04:18:07 PM
Well the good news is that there are plenty available on E-bay if you want to replace it.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #47 on: January 26, 2016, 04:42:27 PM
Is that chart on the main site? It should be.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: January 26, 2016, 05:12:59 PM
Well the good news is that there are plenty available on E-bay if you want to replace it.
I'm in no rush, but thanks for the tip.

gb Offline DrC.

Reply #49 on: January 26, 2016, 05:52:56 PM
I will belt carry my LM Surge in the original leather sheath along with one of the two bit holders (containing what I consider to be a "best of" selection) and Fenix E12 when I am doing work around the house, sometimes at my workplace or on customer sites, but I do not belt carry the Surge like this routinely because of the locking blades and UK knife laws.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #50 on: January 26, 2016, 09:18:51 PM
I found that out!  I've a Surge on loan from Aloha007 and that baby is a BEAST!!

Barry

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #51 on: January 26, 2016, 10:56:40 PM
Yep, the big and/or heavy ones, I either:

a) belt pouch carry,
b) carry in a bag
c) carry in a glove compartment of the car, or
d) leave in a drawer somewhere

I have a Surge that lives in my Accord, and my SwissTool lives in my wife's Prius C.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #52 on: January 29, 2016, 09:59:58 PM
I have always belt carried my Leatherman.  For years it was the Blast, then I went through a phase of trying every tool under the sun including nearly all that are in this thread, now I've settled on the Rebar in a leather sheath with a single AAA clicky light.

The surge is an awesome tool, but my hands aren't all that large and I find that it's too big for me.  The Rebar fits perfectly. 

us Offline Neko2

• I have too many and not enough.
Reply #53 on: January 30, 2016, 03:44:22 AM
A surge everyday.
It used to be the Juice Pro but it bit me one roo many times.  Although it took me 15 years to switch.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: January 30, 2016, 04:08:22 PM
The biggest m/t i've belt carried was a Vic Hercules.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #55 on: January 31, 2016, 08:08:05 PM
I don't like the big pouches that go with the big tools. I'm a big guy and it's hard enough wedging myself through a door without adding an inch thick pouch to my side, and forget about sitting in movie theater type seating or even the narrow seats in the Dr.'s waiting room.  If I try to wear it in the front I can't sit down without getting poked in the gut, and if I try to wear it in back I can't get in the car.  For me pocket carry is preferable, followed by off-body carry in a bag of some sort.  I've been pocket carrying a SOG PowerLock for over a month and I am very comfortable with it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 08:11:50 PM by Alan K. »

ca Offline Leathermended It!

• Leatherman Core EDCr
Reply #56 on: January 31, 2016, 08:55:51 PM
I have never pocket carried a MT. I find it much more comfortable to have a sheath on. It doesn't take long to get used to the weight. I don't even notice my Core on my bet. I used to like nylon sheaths, but I used a LM Molle medium sheath for a year and it wore right out. I don't think that they are as durable, I don't like velcro, I don't like how they flop more on a belt and I just like the look of leather better. I liked that I could put my bit kit in the nylon wave sheath, but I didn't like the sheath in general, so I just put the kit in my pocket. It would probably fit great in a jeans change pocket, if that works for you. My setup stays pretty constant:

Right Thigh Pocket:

Streamlight Stylus Pro at the back of the pocket, against the seam.
Ontario Rat 1 or Spyderco Tenacious in front of the flashlight

Left Thigh Pocket:

Wallet
Phone

Back Pockets:

Napkins (These things are great!)

Leatherman sheath

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #57 on: January 31, 2016, 11:28:09 PM
I agree about the nylon sheaths.  I have been carrying this New Wave sheath for over 3 years now, and it's held up great.  For the last two years it has had my Rebar in it.

us Offline Wanimator

Reply #58 on: February 03, 2016, 04:45:43 AM

Wow, that's an amazing tool to carry (I admire the fact that you carry one), how does it go when cleaning and lubricating a tool with so many pivots and tools? Considering the array.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #59 on: February 05, 2016, 06:03:57 PM
I'm out and about doing things for work today, and packing an MP600 Pro Scout (with blunt pliers and blade removed in favor of a large flathead) on the belt with Gerber bit kit. I'm not sure what the tool weighs by itself, but the whole rig together probably weighs less than my Surge, so it's a piece of cake.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%