Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

XAVT Spine tools

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
XAVT Spine tools
on: January 25, 2016, 07:13:10 PM
Could someone please confirm this for me? What spine tool is used to back the second blade layer? It looks like chisel or fine driver?

I'm thinking about building a Champion with an additional blade layer from my Troll's hoard of loose parts...maybe omit the fish poker  ::)

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Re: XAVT Spine tools
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 08:30:47 PM
Its a hook!  Had me confused too since it has 2 hook and one scissors layer.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,60131.msg1103726.html#msg1103726
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 09:06:20 PM
Thanks! Dunno what I'll do with a second hook...maybe convert it into a marlinspike

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 01:24:27 AM
OK, pieced one together (Champion) with the second blade layer between the scissors and fish poker. It seemed like more tension was loaded onto the back spring during assembly because the tang of the hook is deeper...seems to work though. Th spines of the blades align and the blade layer hook a hair higher than the scissors hook. All nail nicks are clear and the pen blade is easy to get to.

Not sure if I'll rivet this one yet. I found a Pioneer awl in my boxes and want to try it in a 91mm.
twoblades01.jpg
* twoblades01.jpg (Filesize: 98.38 KB)
twoblades02.jpg
* twoblades02.jpg (Filesize: 77.41 KB)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 01:25:28 AM by Spork, Lord of Lime Jello! »

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 12:58:35 AM
I added an Awl to the assembly. Minor issue of it overlapping the fish poker. The scaler can be pushed around the awl if both are partially open. I suppose an extra liner could be added to move them farther apart. I think if I were serious about finishing this knife I would move the awl to the outside blade layer.
twoblades03.jpg
* twoblades03.jpg (Filesize: 102.02 KB)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 12:59:48 AM by Spork, Lord of Lime Jello! »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 02:51:41 AM
Have you still got the other awl under the opener layer as well as the duplicate hooks?

I've been mulling over a large 91mm mod for a while too, and had similar frustration with trying to figure out how to avoid the duplication of the awl. Option one was keep the opener layer, but with a different back tool. However no other back tool made sense as I'm including file and saw with their back tools. Option two was ditch the opener layer and go for the combo tool..... which would need to go where the awl needs to be

:facepalm:

I'm now thinking of replicating the corkscrew and phillips idea I did on my Mega84 which keeps the opener layer but no awl, and frees me up to add the 93mm awl. Still means duplication though, as the central tool I meant to be the cybertool layer  :-\
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 02:52:44 AM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 03:20:20 AM
Yes, both awls and double hooks. I've awlready ( ::) ) removed the inline awl and assembled a different knife...still two awls though.

I've never pinned this many layers before...thinking about finishing it as a regular Champion.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 03:58:46 AM
Have you still got the other awl under the opener layer as well as the duplicate hooks?

I've been mulling over a large 91mm mod for a while too, and had similar frustration with trying to figure out how to avoid the duplication of the awl. Option one was keep the opener layer, but with a different back tool. However no other back tool made sense as I'm including file and saw with their back tools. Option two was ditch the opener layer and go for the combo tool..... which would need to go where the awl needs to be

I'm now thinking of replicating the corkscrew and phillips idea I did on my Mega84 which keeps the opener layer but no awl, and frees me up to add the 93mm awl. Still means duplication though, as the central tool I meant to be the cybertool layer  :-\
Why have the opener layer, or the combo tool? I say skip them both, the CT layer takes care of the drivers, and where will you be where there isnt another can opener or bottle opener nearby? Takes care of duplication, easy peasy
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline s1xty7

Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 08:55:02 PM
It's one thing to forgo a can opener (I can find a rock or something if need be), but no bottle opener?!?!?!  How would he open beer if not at someone's house? :ahhh

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 09:01:07 PM
It's one thing to forgo a can opener (I can find a rock or something if need be), but no bottle opener?!?!?!  How would he open beer if not at someone's house? :ahhh

Edge of the table?  :D

- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 09:04:03 PM

Why have the opener layer, or the combo tool? I say skip them both, the CT layer takes care of the drivers, and where will you be where there isnt another can opener or bottle opener nearby? Takes care of duplication, easy peasy

A SAK that can't open cans and bottles would almost be as big a sin as one without scissors  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 09:04:59 PM

A SAK that can't open cans and bottles would almost be as big a sin as one without scissors  :D
So? It would also be easily pocketable...
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 05:48:49 AM
I was thinking about this today and realized that using an older clean backed scissors assembly would eliminate the second hook. That would leave two main blades, inline and spine awls as duplicates...or two pen blades.

I've also got a couple new gutting blades from 111mm Hunters...going to investigate the possibility of mounting one.

Base knife is a SwissChamp now...found a pair of pliers  :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD