Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Picking A Leatherman To Minimise Rust

Grass · 31 · 6486

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Picking A Leatherman To Minimise Rust
on: February 09, 2016, 08:30:43 AM
Hi All,

I'm wondering which big Leatherman you would purchase to minimise rust?

I had a Wave last year and was stunned to see surface rust weeks after it arrived here in Australia. I ended up giving it to a friend who lost his older Wave and could do with a bit of good fortune.

Are there better models when it comes to rust resistance etc in your experiences? :)

Thanks and cheers.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Picking A Leatherman To Minimise Rust
Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 09:32:59 AM
Victorinox Spirit :whistle:

The only new leatherman I have had (other than juices) that doesn't ever rust is my BO Wave. :D
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 10:18:05 AM
I see two options for you:

Option 1:

Option 2:
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline CannedBullets

Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 12:20:38 PM
Yeah the Victorinox uses a more rust-resistant grade of metal for their multitools than Leatherman does for the Wave. My 2nd gen Wave I bought a year ago is already showing some rust. I ordered a Charge TTi which should have better rust-resistance because of the titanium handles and S30V steel but I won't be able to tell until after a few months of using it.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 12:22:10 PM by CannedBullets »

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 02:31:05 PM
If rust is a major concern, you either need to get a Black Oxide Leatherman, learn about rust preventatives (such as keeping your tool well oiled with something such as mineral oil), or look at other brands. Leatherman is a great tool manufacturer, but the steel they use (420hc) is one of the inferior stainless steels in terms of stain resistance and rust prevention.

The Victorinox Swisstool and Swisstool Spirit are well regarded (and obviously well recommended), but both SOG and Gerber make excellent tools with better rust resistance than Leatherman. The Gerber MP400/600 series and the SOG Power series (except PowerDuo and original PowerPlier) are both worth a serious look at, in addition to Victorinox's offerings.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 02:32:55 PM by sLaughterMed »
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 03:13:33 PM
Get whatever tool you like and polish it with Flitz metal polish with Teflon.  The Flitz, when done per the instructions, cleans the metal and leaves a protective coating of the Teflon which is also pretty much self lubricating.  I used Flitz on my early Gerber multi pliers around 1994 and I've never seen a spot of rust on them.  Or, you can just get the Victorinox Spirit or Swiss Tool.

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 01:56:14 AM
My Wave had a serious rust problem a couple months after I purchased it. I followed LM's instructions for cleaning and re-oiling. I haven't had an issue in the 4 years since then :tu:
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 02:21:33 AM
Ya my wave rusted too.

I can versify my swisstool spirit used under the same conditions still has no rust though.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 09:12:08 AM
LOL!

Thanks all!

I already have a Victorinox SwissTool RS and Spirit X which, of course, are impeccable in this area. The Wave had a beefier knife and great one handed operation (including on tools that were not theoretically one handed!), but it could not compare on quality to the Vics (and needed an awl).

I oiled the daylights out of the old Wave to prevent rust and it was effective; the thinking here is merely "if I get another one, I should get one less prone to rust from the start...". Seems from here that the models are similar - except the black oxide?

The renewed Leatherman interest was coming from noticing I could get a few models for free using rewards points on a credit card (!), including a Charge AL, which seems to have aluminium handles but similar tools :)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 03:02:34 PM
You certainly can't beat that price.  Free is always good.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 04:21:42 PM
Late to the discussion but BO is an option and IMO the BO Wave looks awesome.  I haven't had rust issues with my LMs but I also live in a pretty dry environment.  My tools do see water regularly tho.  Much like Alan suggested I think a good polish would do wonders in slowing or preventing rust.   I polished both old and new Waves I own and not only are they nicer looking IMO but I feel better protected. 

I used compound to polish my tools ( green ) and followed up with Mothers Mag Wheel polish.   
IMG_9948 copy.jpg
* IMG_9948 copy.jpg (Filesize: 251.14 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 05:58:02 PM
Just get a Spirit and be done with it. ;)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline cody6268

Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 06:33:42 PM
Something I've noticed is that a number of stainless alloys rust under any conditions.  I even had a '70s Victorinox Craftsman that came from California, and had a couple tiny rust spots on the backsprings (likely because it had been near salt water a lot), when I thought Vic and Wenger were the only ones with a truly "stainless" steel alloy.   I've got a Bahco Carpenter (rebranded Mora) fixed blade, and even though I live in an area with low humidity, that's supposedly stainless steel, and it gets rust spots even when setting in my knife box.

A Brillo pad or similar does a pretty good job at getting rid of rust without scratching the metal that much.  I recommend cleaning and oiling the tool (including rubbing down the blades) regularly to prevent rust--this is something I have to do constantly to avoid this problem with my carbon steel pocketknives, especially the new ones I have that haven't darkened from age. A suggestion I've heard on the Wave is to polish the bead-blasted metal to a shine, as the bead-blasted finish is more prone to rust than the high polish the older Leatherman tools had.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 08:31:03 PM by cody6268 »

gb Offline Philby

Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 07:55:08 PM
Nothing wrong with a bit of surface rust, all good tools have a bit of rust on them. The way your own tool develops a patina over time makes it unique.

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #15 on: February 10, 2016, 08:13:02 PM
The sidekick/wingman seem pretty polished and so far have been rust-resistant for me.  Tools with more of a bead blasted finish (like ST300 or Rebar), forget about it.  They will rust.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: February 10, 2016, 09:09:28 PM
 :pok:
IMG_9030 copy.jpg
* IMG_9030 copy.jpg (Filesize: 222.17 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #17 on: February 10, 2016, 11:49:39 PM
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: February 10, 2016, 11:59:55 PM
+1 on the rusty wave , crater also. Nothing else has rusted

us Offline cody6268

Reply #19 on: February 11, 2016, 12:22:28 AM
It is an SOS pad, not a Brillo pad.  Confused the two there.   A Brillo pad is too coarse, but an SOS pad is a fine steel wool coated with soap.

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #20 on: February 11, 2016, 04:40:19 AM
You certainly can't beat that price.  Free is always good.
What? Of course I can beat that price. Get real cash back, then use the money to buy tools for cheap on eBay, instead of paying full price with points.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: February 11, 2016, 04:45:36 AM
I've got my Wave in my hand and I can't find any rust on it - I think the last time I cleaned or oiled it was 3 years ago.

I'm not saying don't buy a different tool, but I you might be getting excited over a non-issue.

us Offline Wanimator

Reply #22 on: February 11, 2016, 05:11:39 AM
Really, just keep it well lubed. If you want it dry try Tri-Flow dry lube or White Lightning. White Lightning is paraffin wax so it's non toxic and such if you use it to lube the blades and not just everything else.

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #23 on: February 12, 2016, 01:09:37 AM
you might be getting excited over a non-issue.

Fair point, the rust I am complaining about is cosmetic and is easily removable.  Doesn't impair the function at all.

hr Offline Subterranean

Reply #24 on: February 12, 2016, 07:45:14 PM
Polished Waves look so classy; so much better than the regular ones!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: February 16, 2016, 07:02:01 PM
Polished Waves look so classy; so much better than the regular ones!

I agree  8).  Both my OG and New Waves are highly polished.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Wanimator

Reply #26 on: February 18, 2016, 03:52:50 AM
An acid stonewashed Leatherman wouldn't look all that bad.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #27 on: February 18, 2016, 04:40:57 PM
None of my Leatherman tools have rusted yet, and I live in a humid river valley. Heck, I don't even do that good of a job with prevention  :P

Here's something I've noticed over the years; storing a tool/knife inside of anything tight fitting, like a sheath, will increase your odds of rust forming in a humid region. Presumably because it gives the moisture a place to gather and hang out for a while. So it might not even be relevant here, but in the future anyone who reads this might do well to take their tool out of the sheath at night/in storage.

P.S. My first Gerber MP600 got some surface rust on the plain edge blade after being used once and then put away for a few weeks during some challenges last year. Slightly disappointing, but one thing I've come to know about Gerbers is they may rust, but they won't give a smurf  :multi:

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: February 18, 2016, 04:44:25 PM
You guys are really trying to entice me into getting a Spirit  :whistle:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #29 on: February 18, 2016, 05:03:07 PM
You guys are really trying to entice me into getting a Spirit  :whistle:

yeah, me too . . . . . not good, not good at all . . . . .
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD