Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New 2 Yoo

Offline Craig Allan

New 2 Yoo
on: April 10, 2016, 02:27:33 AM
Howdy!

I cannot tell youse guys how glad I am to have found this site!! I am a knife 'freak', and Multitools are a very close second.

Anyway,I came here originally researching a MT that has GOT to have the following:

* A Black Oxide or Parkerized finish.
* Pliers.That might seem obvious, but with scissors,and other things,thought it should be stated.
* Scissors.
* File. A Metal file at the least, a "Tri-File" at best.
* Between 2.5"-3". Absolutely no bigger!

AFTER THOSE, it would be nice if it had a bit driver, or provision for a bit driver.

Then,anything else,like
* Phillips Screwdriver.
* Straight Slot Screwdriver (Medium)
* Can Opener
* NON Serrated,locking knife blade

Anything else is gravy.
I do NOT need (nor want really) a "Seat Belt cutter", as, I have never found one, not one, on either a Multitool or the back of ANY knife (IDC what maker either, from 'Frost' to SOG) that works worth a Damn. All they are is a gimmick,a waste of space,and extra weight I don't need to carry.

SO, I would really,really appreciate if any of the more experienced,REAL 'Multitool Freaks' [And I mean that in a good way,BTW,as I refer to myself as one also,so absolutely NO offense is meant,intended or implied by that...in our PC society,we always need these caveats] could take my MY needs, mull it over,and make suggestions.
* I would really like SOG MT with the gear drive Pliers and all...are there any other makers copying that design? The only thing with the SOG MT's are, how big are they? They seem pretty big.
* I would like something,also,that they make a pocket clip for,but also,that there is a readily available either Leather (first choice...I'm 'Old School like that) or Kydex (2nd choice)

I have a drawer full of MT's, so, want to slim it down to just maybe 1 I carry, 1 in my pack, and 1 on my chest rig.
I have no need for the 27 I have now,of which,only 2-a Leatherman 'Charge', and a Gerber Something or other,that was Issued,have all the TOOLS I want,however,neither are Parkerized or whatever the dark finish' are called from Manufacturer to Manufacturer.

Thanks in advance for any help, and Man guys,am I glad to be here!!!
I will be on here reading day and night,whenever I have free time now!

.................................................................DOL............................... .......................................

Thanks

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: New 2 Yoo
Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 05:45:00 AM
Welcome aboard  :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 07:20:50 AM
Greetings. 
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 10:39:29 AM
welcome mate
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 07:29:08 PM
Welcome aboard!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Offline Craig Allan

Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 08:42:02 AM
Thank you all for the welcome!

au Online gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 08:57:27 AM
Welcome aboard.  :cheers:  You've come to the right place.

Getting all the things you want in an MT that is only 2.5-3" long may be (very) difficult.

My suggestion is look at a Swisstool Spirit with scissors (but I'm not sure whether you will be able to find one with a BO finish).

The Leatherman Mini was made with a BO finish, but are hard to find (and expensive) and have a limited tool set.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 09:04:55 AM
Welcome!
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 11:49:30 PM
Welcome to the forum!

I suggest you try posting about your dream multi in the General tool section. Most members don't check the new member subforum very often.

Also, I think you might want to rethink (or remeasure?) your size for your multitool. You will be hard pressed to find anything in that range.

Having said that, if you can live with a stainless steel finish, i'm pretty sure the Leatherman Juice XE6 almost meets your requirements. it is just over 3" long i believe.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
Welcome!

I dont know of anything that fits teh bill for you in 3 inches, but if you go up to a spirit size, there is a black oxide sprit x that would be a darn good choice.

Here's my spirit collection for reference.

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Offline Craig Allan

Reply #10 on: April 14, 2016, 02:23:13 AM
Syphoo7-That looks like a winner.

I had specifically looked at Victorinox FOR what I needed, but didnt see anything.

Thanks for posting that.

Will be looking into suggestions others have stated as well.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #11 on: April 23, 2016, 01:05:02 PM
Welcome to the forums. You can't go far wrong with a Victorinox Spirit.  :salute:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69