Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG PPP, different models?

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
SOG PPP, different models?
on: April 17, 2016, 09:03:05 AM
Hello everyone. I have a question about the PPP, hope you can help me out.

I bought a second hand PPP from the eBay, and when it arrived I spotted some differences with my current and so loved version.
Mine had a semi serrated blade, lanyard hole in one of the pins/screws and a flat pointed file:

The new PPP (older? newer? I am pretty sure it's never been modded, dismantled or had its tools swapped) has a plain edged blade, no lanyard attachment and the file is rounded in the end.

All other tools, writing, finish and stuff are the same, placed in the same order.

Can anyone tell me which model is which, and which of the two came first?

Thanks!
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Re: SOG PPP, different models?
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 11:12:20 AM
Well, a new one comes with the flat file-tip, and semi-serrated edge and lanyard hole (a well as hex-socket pivots). Even older than yours and you'd start to see a combo-opener like what Leatherman is using instead of the two openers. Are you sure it's not been opened though? It doesn't really show if it's been done with correct size tools and if thread locker had been used.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 11:25:44 AM
I don't claim to be a SOG expert, but I thought the rounded end file was the early version, and the flat end was later.  As 42 said, SOG encouraged owners to swap the tool load to suit themselves so anything is possible.

If you like the PPP, have you checked out the Paladin PT-510 ?  It comes with gear covers to protect the palm of your hand when using the screwdrivers and applying serious pressure.

http://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=PowerPlay+PT-510
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 03:13:37 PM
From you pic it seems you have two different SOG models side by side. The plier head on the right is much bigger, doubt it's camera effect as the heads are in the same plane.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 11:43:08 PM
From you pic it seems you have two different SOG models side by side. The plier head on the right is much bigger, doubt it's camera effect as the heads are in the same plane.
No they arent, the one on the right os laying on top of the other one. The PowerPlier (only other non locking SOG that looks similar) is the size of  a PowerLock, and it is definitely not that large.

The PPP originally did not have a lanyard attachment, and the flathead file is a newer version. Is the PE blade chisel ground?
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 06:51:59 PM
No they arent, the one on the right os laying on top of the other one. The PowerPlier (only other non locking SOG that looks similar) is the size of  a PowerLock, and it is definitely not that large.

The PPP originally did not have a lanyard attachment, and the flathead file is a newer version. Is the PE blade chisel ground?

Yup, blade is chisel ground. Like the one in my Powerlock and my Powerplier...I think my only SOG hollow ground blade is on my Blacktip, IIRC.

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 07:03:50 PM
Yup, the hex bolt construction, no lanyard loop, chisel ground blade and round file are all hallmarks of earlier Pocket PowerPliers. It's too bad we don't have a good date the introduction of the early SOG tools.

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 11:43:19 PM
Wait, the Pocket PowerPlier Deluxe isn't listed on SOG's site, they don't sell it anymore? If so, that really chaps my hide…

The standard Pocket PowerPlier is a rip-off. There's room for a couple more implements in the handles, the *used* to just charge you more for the Deluxe to get them.

The good thing is, SOG will sell you individual implements (http://www.sogknives.com/type/accessories/show/all.html), so you can add one or two they left out, and customize it to your needs. That's what I did:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 09:40:56 PM
If I recall correctly, and bear in mind with my memory this is a long shot, but I believe there were officially two different versions of the PPP released- the standard Pocket Power Plier (PPP) and the Pocket Power Plier Deluxe (PPPD) and I think the difference was largely limited to a partially serrated and a plain edge blade. 

I remember thinking at the time that it was kind of silly that one could jump from one model to the next by purchasing an extra blade or two and switching them out.

I'll send up the SOG signal and see if I can get Chris to nail down some more concrete info for us regarding dates and any other details that might be pertinent.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 11:04:19 PM
If I recall correctly, and bear in mind with my memory this is a long shot, but I believe there were officially two different versions of the PPP released- the standard Pocket Power Plier (PPP) and the Pocket Power Plier Deluxe (PPPD) and I think the difference was largely limited to a partially serrated and a plain edge blade. 

I remember thinking at the time that it was kind of silly that one could jump from one model to the next by purchasing an extra blade or two and switching them out.

I'll send up the SOG signal and see if I can get Chris to nail down some more concrete info for us regarding dates and any other details that might be pertinent.

Def

I think the deluxe came with the 1/4" driver too.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 11:12:52 PM
I do believe you are correct.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 11:26:16 PM

Def

I think the deluxe came with the 1/4" driver too.
and a partially serrated blade. I think it also dropped the awl as well.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 11:54:10 PM
Good enough, guess I'm not needed here then!  :P

Def

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 02:26:31 AM

There is (was) the S44 and S45.  Both versions are still viewable (in the USA) on Amazon.com.   The S45 contains more tools.   The knive blades and file shapes seemed to vary independently of the model nomenclature and were the same ones used in SOG's larger tools.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 02:09:20 AM
Yes, I always wondered why they even bothered selling the non-deluxe Pocket PowerPlier. They just took out some tools, added an awl, and added spacers. WUWT?

There is (was) the S44 and S45.  Both versions are still viewable (in the USA) on Amazon.com.   The S45 contains more tools.   The knive blades and file shapes seemed to vary independently of the model nomenclature and were the same ones used in SOG's larger tools.

Or, to look at it another, more annoying way, the larger PowerLock tools are the same ones used in the Pocket PowerPlier (and Paratool? I forget…) As big and beefy as the PowerLocks are, it's a little disappointing the implements are small. Imagine buying a LM Super Tool 300 only to find the implements are all from a Blast.  :think:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 04:36:33 AM
Yes, I always wondered why they even bothered selling the non-deluxe Pocket PowerPlier. They just took out some tools, added an awl, and added spacers. WUWT?

Or, to look at it another, more annoying way, the larger PowerLock tools are the same ones used in the Pocket PowerPlier (and Paratool? I forget…) As big and beefy as the PowerLocks are, it's a little disappointing the implements are small. Imagine buying a LM Super Tool 300 only to find the implements are all from a Blast.  :think:
That is why I like sog but have few of them. SE with Victorinox. Using all the same components is nice, but it limits my interest a great deal. Still a good product nonetheless
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 05:40:02 AM
That is why I like sog but have few of them. SE with Victorinox. Using all the same components is nice, but it limits my interest a great deal. Still a good product nonetheless

I have such mixed feelings about the PowerLock.

Compound leverage? WIN.
Badly-fitted handle covers, on handles that won't close fully? FAIL. (Why is this STILL an issue????)
Beefy, well-machined plier jaws? WIN.
Small, thin, weak implements? FAIL.
User-configurable implements? WIN.
Relatively large scissors for it's class? WIN
Sloppy scissor pivots, and poor scissor performance overall? FAIL

On the other hand, despite the lack of locking tools, the PocketPowerPlier Deluxe seems to hit the "sweet spot". It has the compound leverage, no futzy handle covers, all the implements are sized for it, the action on mine at least is slick as snot, almost as compact as my PST-II, and I customized mine to suit my needs. Definitely a winner in my book.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 04:07:37 PM
The tool covers on the PowerLock are removable... which honestly is why they are so bad. SOG should just make two veraions, one with permanent tool covers, and another with none.

I love my Pocket PowerPlier, but it feels like SOG just dosent care to update their older tools. It really makes me scratch my head.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 04:22:53 PM
I do wish they would update the PL,PPP and the PT. The PPP and PT needs locks and the PL needs bigger blades. The PPP needs gear covers. Also, bring back the old can opener. Love to see them make the PT540 again too.

That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #19 on: May 01, 2016, 01:33:25 AM
The tool covers on the PowerLock are removable... which honestly is why they are so bad. SOG should just make two veraions, one with permanent tool covers, and another with none.

To me, it says SOG just slapped them on as an afterthought. It would've taken only small dimensional changes to the handles to leave room for the covers when the tool was closed.

I love my Pocket PowerPlier, but it feels like SOG just dosent care to update their older tools. It really makes me scratch my head.

I know, right? It's not like the major issues with their tool line haven't been pretty obvious for a decade or so.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: May 10, 2016, 06:07:53 PM
While doing some research on a related project, I discovered the S45 Pocket PowerPlier is definitely disco'd

http://www.sogknives.com/disc-prod-info.html

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%