Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

One-Hand Workchamp: the One-derChamp! Any Modders want a challenge?

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
A few years ago, just fer grins, I tried carrying my WorkChamp as an alternative to a folding knife and multitool. I found it fit the sheath from my SOG PowerLock perfectly, but the two-hand opening blade was annoying compared to my One-Hand Trekker.

So, of course, I had a crazy idea: combine the two into the perfect folding knife / multitool combo!

Let's see what we have to work with. From the front (shield) side, layer by layer:

One Hand Trekker:
1. Can Opener + Small Screwdriver, Locking Large Driver/Bottle Opener / Awl
2. Locking One-Hand Blade / —
3. Wood Saw / Phillips Driver
+ Toothpick & Tweezers in scales

Workchamp:
1. Can Opener + Small Screwdriver, Large Driver + Bottle Opener / Awl
2. Scissors / Long Small Phillips
3. Wood Saw / —
4. Wood/Metal File / —
5. Pliers + Large Phillips
6. Locking Blade / Corkscrew + Eyeglass Driver

Observations:
1. I *really* like the extra-beefy can opener / large flat driver on the OHT, especially since it locks.
2. The OHT's opener & knife layer share a special liner that includes the locking tabs, so they have to remain together.
3. Since the Workchamp has an inline Phillips, it wouldn't make sense to put another Phillips on the back, and a corkscrew does have it's uses.

Combined frankentool, the One-der Champ™:
1. Can Opener + Small Screwdriver, Locking Large Driver + Bottle Opener / Awl (OHT)
2. Locking One-Hand Blade / — (OHT)
3. Scissors / Long Small Phillips (WC)
4. Pliers + Large Phillips (WC)
5. Wood/Metal File / — (WC)
6. Wood Saw (either) / Corkscrew + Eyeglass Driver / Straight pin (WC)

I can supply the two "organ donors", but I have neither the tooling nor the talent to pull this off myself.

Any modders want to give it a go? Let me know1

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Nice idea for a mod. :tu:  I think that in the layout you propose you'll struggle to get to the pliers and scissors nail nicks.  But, if you put the pliers between the saw and file layers and use the new Pioneer X scissors in place of the ones from the Workchamp it might work.

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Nice idea for a mod. :tu:  I think that in the layout you propose you'll struggle to get to the pliers and scissors nail nicks.  But, if you put the pliers between the saw and file layers and use the new Pioneer X scissors in place of the ones from the Workchamp it might work.

You're right, I hadn't thought about nail nick access. :-\  I'm loathe to spend $50 for a perfectly good Pioneer X just for the scissors, seems like sacrilege. Instead, I wonder if moving the pliers and scissors layer all the way back next to the saw layer might allow enough room. The pliers nick is pretty high up, it should be easy to get to; the scissors, not-so-much, but even if I had to partially open the knife blade to get to 'em, I think it'd be worth the effort.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
I'd might be willing to give it a shot. PM sent :)

Also, the Pioneer X scissors are really only needed if you wanted a 111mm version of the Climber (cant remember if you could do it with a 2H blade or not. One Hand Open Climber is a no go without Pioneer X scissors).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 04:59:46 PM by sLaughterMed »
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
You're right, I hadn't thought about nail nick access. :-\  I'm loathe to spend $50 for a perfectly good Pioneer X just for the scissors, seems like sacrilege. Instead, I wonder if moving the pliers and scissors layer all the way back next to the saw layer might allow enough room. The pliers nick is pretty high up, it should be easy to get to; the scissors, not-so-much, but even if I had to partially open the knife blade to get to 'em, I think it'd be worth the effort.

But you could then put the Workchamp scissors on the Pioneer X.  And you've got enough bits left over to build a slide-lock, 2H Trekker.  Kind of a SAK find the lady.

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
But you could then put the Workchamp scissors on the Pioneer X.  And you've got enough bits left over to build a slide-lock, 2H Trekker.  Kind of a SAK find the lady.

Hmmm… Since Vic felt the need to move the nail nick on the Pioneer X scissors, I assume the Workchamp scissors would be hard to open if I just swapped them.

And I have no interested in a two-hand Trekker. I was planning on "donating" the leftover parts to the modder as part of the deal.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
IIRC you'll need to drill out some of the holes on the Workchamp parts to match the Trekker parts. The liner lock and slide lock models use a different size pin stock.

There is a post in the stickies of the Mod section that contains the pin sizing.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Ya you just discovered the annoying part about the scissors.  If you use the layer form a workchamp you wont be able to open the scissors.  I bought an X just to get the scissors for this reason.  To keep costs lower though you can lose the locking feature of the cap lifter but still keep the beefier opener layer.  This solution would put the OHO blade not adjacent to the opener layer, but is the best compromise without spending more money.

Mine still isnt peened but this is what it will look like with pioneer x scissors.

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
IIRC you'll need to drill out some of the holes on the Workchamp parts to match the Trekker parts. The liner lock and slide lock models use a different size pin stock.

Right, *of course* they are!  :-\

I should've known, prolly explains why I haven't seen anybody else do it yet.

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Ya you just discovered the annoying part about the scissors.  If you use the layer form a workchamp you wont be able to open the scissors.  I bought an X just to get the scissors for this reason.

I was hoping you'd chime in. Syph is wise.  :D

I'm in no rush, maybe I'll just wait and see if prices come down on the Pioneer X, or if I can grab one used. Or set up my drill press with a Dremel thin cutting wheel, and carve my own nick.

To keep costs lower though you can lose the locking feature of the cap lifter but still keep the beefier opener layer.  This solution would put the OHO blade not adjacent to the opener layer, but is the best compromise without spending more money.

For ease of one-hand opening, I want to keep the knife blade as close to the front as possible. But I see your point.

Mine still isnt peened but this is what it will look like with pioneer x scissors.

Show off!!!  ;)

Nice looking work, as always.  :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40