Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swapping can-opener with inline Philips?

us Offline trichosirius

Swapping can-opener with inline Philips?
on: May 17, 2016, 11:02:52 PM
So I just discovered that the inline Philips fits in the can opener spot, but that the tip of the philips must rest on the flat-head/cap lifter when closed.
 Is there a way to mod this so that it sits better or is this the way it must go?
Has anyone done this and have pics?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Re: Swapping can-opener with inline Philips?
Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 11:17:51 PM
It sounds like you are talking about modding a SOG tool, or maybe a Gerber? A SAK?

A couple more details (and maybe a pic or two of the parts) and I could certainly help.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline trichosirius

Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 11:29:32 PM
Sorry, I'm referring to a SAK. Im trying to thin out a Swisschamp and hoping to drop a layer or two. 

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 11:35:32 PM
Ok, I think I get it now.

First off, im pretty sure the phillips is to wide for the can opener slot. But im pretty sure Syph's done a couple mods with the cap lifter in the Mag Glass spot (same effect, but a different spring, and no backtool). You will need a washer too.

Regardless, something is to long. Taking length off the Phillips isnt really an option, so you would need to cut down the cap lifter.

Alternatively, if you have a drill press, you could try relocating the pivot if either tool

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline trichosirius

Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 11:56:31 PM
You're right; it's definitely too wide for that layer. I like the idea of the cap lifter in place of the mag glass, I'll tinker around with that for a bit and see how that goes.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 03:06:34 AM
How would you feel about having it opposite a can opener AND a bottle opener, using two opener layer backsprings? That mod has been done before.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 03:55:55 AM
How would you feel about having it opposite a can opener AND a bottle opener, using two opener layer backsprings? That mod has been done before.
Ooo, I forgot about that option :tu:

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 10:56:29 AM
IIRC this mod will not work on the 91 mm platform unless you are willing to reshape the pivot area and redrill the pivot hole(s).
It will work nicely on teh 93 mm platform, though.

Syph answered a question of mine in that regard in taht way, I don´t know in which thread, I guess his enormous modding thread.

us Offline trichosirius

Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 02:02:33 AM
Clever! I do have two spare opener layer springs but I almost unfinished my current mod and decided to just keep the mag glass. But I like this idea and might give this a go on my next project.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 06:30:04 PM
IIRC this mod will not work on the 91 mm platform unless you are willing to reshape the pivot area and redrill the pivot hole(s).
It will work nicely on teh 93 mm platform, though.

Syph answered a question of mine in that regard in taht way, I don´t know in which thread, I guess his enormous modding thread.

Yup cant be done on 91mm for 2 reasons.  Springs are not symmetrical, and there is not enough room even if you reshape the tools the cap lifter hits the phillips.

The inline phillips on a 91 can only fit with the tools it was intended (mag glass and that light) easily.  I have done a phillips and 93mm caplifter in a single layer on a 91mm using a mag glass back spring.  That works but the cap lifter needs significant modification to fit.  Hole needs to be moved and alot of trial and error shapping.  91mm cap lifter is too small to work with phillips in one layer.  You COULD bend the backspring up to allow it to have tension but then youd have a weird gap on the back of the knife.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68