Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Broken Wave frame

Dan B · 11 · 1322

us Offline Dan B

Broken Wave frame
on: May 28, 2016, 02:49:49 AM
A few days ago a co-worker asked to borrow my leatherman to cut some wire. A few minutes later he comes back with it looking like this.

The frame itself has sheared just in front of the locking tabs for the blade and bent out.

I never really noticed just how little metal was actually supporting those pliers there.  I'd be curious to know if anyone else has broken these in a similar way.
IMG_20160527_174517.jpg
* IMG_20160527_174517.jpg (Filesize: 244.65 KB)

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Re: Broken Wave frame
Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 03:18:15 AM
A few days ago a co-worker asked to borrow my leatherman to cut some wire. A few minutes later he comes back with it looking like this.

The frame itself has sheared just in front of the locking tabs for the blade and bent out.

I never really noticed just how little metal was actually supporting those pliers there.  I'd be curious to know if anyone else has broken these in a similar way.

Holy Smoke  :o :o :o :o :o :o  NEVER EVER LET ANYONE BORROW YOUR TOOL..
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 03:20:42 AM by Obi1shinobee »

us Offline Dan B

Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 03:44:25 AM
Yeah, that was one of the things that crossed my mind as he showed them to me.

I think he might not have realized that the very back portion is a crimper and not a cutter. That would have contributed to their failure.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 04:17:02 AM

Holy Smoke  :o :o :o :o :o :o  NEVER EVER LET ANYONE BORROW YOUR TOOL..

Wow I have never seen one fail like that ??? That is definitely a warranty claim :( I would tell him to buy his own pliers next time :D

us Offline Dan B

Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 04:37:56 AM
Yeah, he felt wicked bad about it and offered to buy me another one.

I have to admit that it was one of those moments that I thought "Dude, I'm not even mad. That's impressive."

Of course it helps that I know Leatherman will fix it, although now I'm contemplating keeping it for parts.

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 05:38:29 AM
Is your co worker named "Godzilla"?

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

R

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 06:04:43 AM
:o Your co worker must have hands like a truck-a-sarus
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 06:10:26 AM
The list of people who can use  my toothbrush is longer than the list of those who get to use my Leathermen for this reason. That being said, any pictures of what he was taking on?
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 06:48:02 AM
I'd be more bummed at the fail and the time without my tool more than anything.
Thats an impressive failure to say the least. 

What kind of wire was he trying to cut and did he get thru it? 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 07:08:18 AM

I have to admit that it was one of those moments that I thought "Dude, I'm not even mad. That's impressive."

Yeah, that's exactly what I'd be thinking!
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Dan B

Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 02:56:10 PM
I'd be more bummed at the fail and the time without my tool more than anything.
Thats an impressive failure to say the least. 

What kind of wire was he trying to cut and did he get thru it?

Oh, yeah. Time without the tool definitely! I feel more naked without my multi-tool than do without my pants! I went to Walmart that afternoon and bought a wingman to get me by until I get another wave.

The list of people who can use  my toothbrush is longer than the list of those who get to use my Leathermen for this reason. That being said, any pictures of what he was taking on?

He was cutting the metal reinforcement wire on a large sandblast recovery line. It's pretty rugged stuff. He got through the first one but then the tool failed on the second. He had to use a hacksaw to finish the cut.

They don't allow cameras in the drydock where I work so I doubt I'll be able to get a pic of the line, but picture a 6 inch diameter rubber hose with a 1/8th inch metal wire wrapped around it and molded in.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%