Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Switching Up....Anyone Else do it?

Dtrain · 15 · 1081

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Switching Up....Anyone Else do it?
on: May 28, 2016, 06:44:06 PM
While I do not have a Plethora of Multi Tools,SAKs,Folders, and Fixed Blades..I do consider myself Comfortably Equipped..My Wifey of 22 Years has another Term that I choose not to Repeat here, However Shoes,Purses,and Naughties are Perfectly Acceptable in Any Quantity...Recently I expanded my Horizions with several Offerings from Gerber after picking up my First Multi Tool, Original Gerber Multiplier and a Folding Gator that was once my Father's, Gifted to him Many Christmases' Ago after I had great luck and good service from One myself...An LMF II, Suspension,Mini Suspension,Reflex, a Couple of Eveo's, Diesel, a Pair of Evo's,Second Gator..joined my Original Multiplier,BMF,and a fixed Gator

All of them when used reasonably have given good service..

I was looking through my Chest of Manly Things and spotted my Swisstool X..I purchased it many years ago while I was still an Over the Road Driver..It has been at least 6 years or more since I actively carried it..It had always provided Good Sevice under some of the Worst Conditions, Usually on the side of the Road, stripping out Wire Cutting Coat Hangers, Tightening ,Opening Lunch along with other tasks that made my Life easier and kept me Profitable..Nothing was ever really wrong with it..I got bored and moved on..

I looked and realized I missed my Swisstool

So away went the Gerbers..and now after a cleaning the Swisstool along with my Swisschamp, and a couple of Wenger SI's and a couple of Offerings from Cold Steel's Folding Knife Line (Rajah II and Spartan) are being put back to work..One of the SI's will live in my First Aid kit in a my Manpack that goes just about anywhere I do..and the Second will live in Manpack "Lite" Just a few Things for the Park,Zoo,Ect..

Does anyone else here Switch Up and Why..Where have your Journeys taken You

Pete
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Switching Up....Anyone Else do it?
Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 06:46:13 PM
I switch it up everyday  :tu:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 07:01:18 PM
All the time. I might run with the same tool for a week, and then change it up. Sometimes though I'll change every day.....
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 07:10:50 PM
All the time. I might run with the same tool for a week, and then change it up. Sometimes though I'll change every day.....
Same, I have a small arsenal I rotate through. Some get carried more than others, but I usually rotate through them all after a month or so
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 07:38:40 PM
I usually switch my off duty carry daily. I'll stick with the same load for work for a while. I have several tools that I really enjoy carrying so I am definitely a switcher
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 11:42:08 PM
I also always get back to my Swisstool X. Tried a lm wave a couple of months. But the tools and quality on the wave where just not on par with the Swisstool. Went back to the swisstool but thought i needed a lighter tool so tried a LM juice s2. 
The tools on the juice where like toothpicks compared to my Swisstool X.

Then tried a folding knife EKA swede 8. Loved the knife, but an average folding knife is closed about the same size as my Swisstool. It just felt stupid to miss those 20 functions that my swisstool had over the folding knife.

To this day i still carry my beaten Swisstool. A couple days ago it had it's 2 year anniversary :multi:

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 12:19:07 AM
Does anyone else here Switch Up and Why

I think many or most of us at MTO buy, fondle, smell, carry and love our MTs and other tools because the very act of playing with them fires off powerful waves of pleasure from the deepest regions of our squishy brains.  This heroin-like jolt of anesthesia causes us to forget - for just a short while - the daily tribulation that each of us face.  I know that's how it works with me.  When I play with a Swisstool, I forget that the Swedish Bikini Team is not waiting for me in the steam room.

So switching things up makes perfect sense.  Each time we do it, some of those pleasure neurons fire off a little squirt of happy juice directly into our brain stems.  That's why I switch things up daily, if not a few times throughout the day.  Every switch is a little jolt of happy juice.

us Offline Marcellus

• What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 06:29:18 PM
Does anyone else here Switch Up and Why

I think many or most of us at MTO buy, fondle, smell, carry and love our MTs and other tools because the very act of playing with them fires off powerful waves of pleasure from the deepest regions of our squishy brains.  This heroin-like jolt of anesthesia causes us to forget - for just a short while - the daily tribulation that each of us face.  I know that's how it works with me.  When I play with a Swisstool, I forget that the Swedish Bikini Team is not waiting for me in the steam room.

So switching things up makes perfect sense.  Each time we do it, some of those pleasure neurons fire off a little squirt of happy juice directly into our brain stems.  That's why I switch things up daily, if not a few times throughout the day.  Every switch is a little jolt of happy juice.

Yeah, that sums it up pretty well

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 02:32:46 AM
I stick with the same SAK for the most part, but rotate among several MTs daily. 

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 03:39:23 AM
I pick whatever tool fits for me at the moment :tu: I carry pretty much the same EDC for work (except lately because of the challenge :tu: ;) ) but I carry many different tools for night and weekend carry :cheers:

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 07:09:56 AM

I tried to use that story with my wife. She didn't buy it.

I switch up when

A. I am briefly and inexplicably convinced that whatever I am switching to is somehow better and my lifestyle will improve if I have it with me,
or
B. I am briefly and inexplicably convinced that whatever I am switching from is somehow inherently valuable and my lifestyle will become worse if it is lost or damaged.

Fortunately for me I suppose, these strange events only occur rarely, and my "routine" EDC has only changed a few times in the last decade

(uhh, not including Knives/Saks I believe the progression has been - Budget Multi, PST, Surge, Blast, Original Wave, Supertool, New Wave) A few other things have been "trialled" but never really gained traction and moved on.

The "longest" carries were probably the Budget multi, Blast, and New Wave (keen observers will see a neat pattern there, if you missed it, it looks like this:  -..-..- )

And the reason each of those long-performers got shuffled on is because they were lost/stolen, not because I got sick of them.

So I guess I'm waiting for someone to steal my Wave so I can get on with my life :P

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: May 30, 2016, 02:56:40 PM
I've gone thru some work tool revisions over the years.  I am still trying out new to me tools as I procure them.  My off day carry MT has been mostly stable.  I do switch my off day SAK tho as the desire strikes.  I have carried a dedicated knife on and off pretty consistently. 

My current work set up is as follows, MT are OHT/Gerber MP400/Swisstool.  SAKs are Champion/Explorer Plus/Deluxe Tinker.  Dedicated knives are Kershaw Dimension/Native/Delica. 

Off day set up has been my New Wave, SAK ( Explorer/Swisschamp ), Dimension.

What I have been doing for a little while has been changing up my at home carry.  When I get home I still want to have something with me in pocket.  I have carried my Cadet2, Wenger SI, Kick, Opinel, Squirt P4, and Minichamp.   
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #12 on: May 30, 2016, 03:10:27 PM
On a side note Yesterday I picked up a Finnwolf from Cold steel...Not bad for 30 dollar knife...So far Swiss for my tools Cold steel for my Folders Maglite still holding it down for lights
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 01:47:48 PM
I'm largely a creature of habit lately.  And by lately I mean for the last two years or so.  I stick to one or two tools/SAK's and that's it.  Used to be I had a drawer full of Multi's but those days are gone for now.  I do religiously put my Leatherman on my belt every single day though.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: May 31, 2016, 07:25:50 PM
I'm largely a creature of habit lately.  And by lately I mean for the last two years or so.  I stick to one or two tools/SAK's and that's it.  Used to be I had a drawer full of Multi's but those days are gone for now.  I do religiously put my Leatherman on my belt every single day though.

I have done that myself with the Rebar. I kept my work EDC the same for more than a couple years. The only time I changed anything was weekend and I only went between a few tools but since I have so many to pick from I figured I might as well use more than a couple of them :cheers:  :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%