Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Meeting Tim Leatherman (pic heavy and a long story ...)

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
A couple of weeks ago I got an e-mail from the local outdoor shop franchise saying Tim Leatherman would come to one of their shops and he would engrave your Leatherman tool there.  So I immediately entered myself and my boys  8).

And yesterday was the big day, we drove to the shop (in the heart of Antwerp) and there he was, Mr. Leatherman himself.  At first, all three of us received a Leatherman Buff and some ballpoint pens, and then we stood in line, waiting for our turn to meet "the creator".  There were only 4 or 5 people in front of us, so we didn't have to wait that long.  The guy on front of us had brought an old style Wave with him, he handed it over to Tim Leatherman and he inspected the tool a bit, read the date code and started to engrave the tool, and right before giving it back to its owner he looked at the inside of the tool again and said "your phillips is worn out, wait a minute".  He picked up a big bag from the floor, searched it until he found a brand new phillips and he put the new one in the Wave, and gave it back to its owner.  Which was quite impressive in my opinion.

Then it was our turn, I told him I brought along my entire family, so I introduced him to my wife, my two boys, and my six weeks old daughter.  He shook hands with all of them, even shaking hands with my baby girl, which was the youngest fan he saw that day, he said.  I told him my boys brought along their Charges to be engraved by him.  And I brought the PST that I found, new in box, in a display cabinet of an (other) outdoor shop, a couple of years ago.  I gave him my PST, he opened it and checked the date code, and started  engraving it, while I showed him my first Leatherman, my Original Supertool.

I told him I bought that one back in '94, and that it was the tool that I carried through high school, and at my first job, and that it had a lot of emotional value for me.  So when he gave back my PST I asked him if he would engrave my Supertool also, and he told me he would love to do so.  I handed him my Supertool, he opened it and read the date code, "1094" he said, "you are tied with this other guy who also brought me a '94 tool to engrave today, those are the oldest ones I've seen today".  When he handed me my Supertool one of the people from Leatherman Belgium noticed my Leatherman sheath on my belt, and told me to hand over that one as well.  That one happened to be my Charge AL, and Mr. Leatherman told me he would engrave that one also. 

While he was doing so I told him about my Leatherman history, how I first bought my Supertool in '94, my Wave in 2003, and a bit later my Skeletool CX, and that I joined this forum on the internet, Multitool.org, around 2010, and that it all went downhill from that day, ending up with about 30 Leatherman Tools in my collection.  He did seem to know this weird place  ;).  He asked me if there was anything I would like to see on a new Leatherman, since I didn't expect this question (and English is not my native language) I didn't really know what to say, so I just told him I liked the high polish finish on the old tools better than the "unpolished" finish on the recent ones, but I also told him that I'm quite an "old fashioned" guy, so maybe that was why I liked the old style better.  He asked me what my favorite tool was, and I told him I really liked the Rebar, and that the Rebar was the one I took with me on vacation, since it's light, very able, and legal in most European countries.  He replied that the Rebar was his favorite too, since it reminded him the most of his first PST.

Then my oldest son gave him his Charge, and while he was engraving it he asked my oldest son if he had cut himself with it, my oldest one being quite shy, did not know what to say, so I ensured Tim that he had not cut himself (yet).  Then it was my youngest son's turn, and his Charge also got engraved.  I also brought a Leatherman Banner with me, and asked if he could sign that one also, and while Tim was doing so I told him I also had a Charge in my collection for my baby girl, but that she was a bit too young right now. 

The people from Leatherman Belgium took some pics of my boys and me, with Mr. Leatherman, and they insisted on a pic with my baby girl in it as well.  The pics would be available on their facebook page in the future, so when I see them there, I'll post them in this topic also.  I told Tim I would really like to visit the factory in Oregon, but since that is not going to happen in the near future, this was the next best thing.  And he answered that if I ever want to visit the factory, I should send him an e-mail, and he would personally give us a tour, how cool is that  :D.

At the end, we shook hands, I thanked him and told him how great it had been.  The people from Leatherman Belgium gave us a couple of cool Leatherman pins, and I had a chat with them for about 15 or 20 minutes about my collection, and my passion for multitools.  And then we drove home, feeling very happy  :D.

So, here are the pics.

I hope you guys enjoyed it, I sure did  :P.

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Re: Meeting Tim Leatherman (pic heavy and a long story ...)
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 12:59:17 AM
A couple of weeks ago I got an e-mail from the local outdoor shop franchise saying Tim Leatherman would come to one of their shops and he would engrave your Leatherman tool there.  So I immediately entered myself and my boys  8).

And yesterday was the big day, we drove to the shop (in the heart of Antwerp) and there he was, Mr. Leatherman himself.  At first, all three of us received a Leatherman Buff and some ballpoint pens, and then we stood in line, waiting for our turn to meet "the creator".  There were only 4 or 5 people in front of us, so we didn't have to wait that long.  The guy on front of us had brought an old style Wave with him, he handed it over to Tim Leatherman and he inspected the tool a bit, read the date code and started to engrave the tool, and right before giving it back to its owner he looked at the inside of the tool again and said "your phillips is worn out, wait a minute".  He picked up a big bag from the floor, searched it until he found a brand new phillips and he put the new one in the Wave, and gave it back to its owner.  Which was quite impressive in my opinion.

Then it was our turn, I told him I brought along my entire family, so I introduced him to my wife, my two boys, and my six weeks old daughter.  He shook hands with all of them, even shaking hands with my baby girl, which was the youngest fan he saw that day, he said.  I told him my boys brought along their Charges to be engraved by him.  And I brought the PST that I found, new in box, in a display cabinet of an (other) outdoor shop, a couple of years ago.  I gave him my PST, he opened it and checked the date code, and started  engraving it, while I showed him my first Leatherman, my Original Supertool.

I told him I bought that one back in '94, and that it was the tool that I carried through high school, and at my first job, and that it had a lot of emotional value for me.  So when he gave back my PST I asked him if he would engrave my Supertool also, and he told me he would love to do so.  I handed him my Supertool, he opened it and read the date code, "1094" he said, "you are tied with this other guy who also brought me a '94 tool to engrave today, those are the oldest ones I've seen today".  When he handed me my Supertool one of the people from Leatherman Belgium noticed my Leatherman sheath on my belt, and told me to hand over that one as well.  That one happened to be my Charge AL, and Mr. Leatherman told me he would engrave that one also. 

While he was doing so I told him about my Leatherman history, how I first bought my Supertool in '94, my Wave in 2003, and a bit later my Skeletool CX, and that I joined this forum on the internet, Multitool.org, around 2010, and that it all went downhill from that day, ending up with about 30 Leatherman Tools in my collection.  He did seem to know this weird place  ;).  He asked me if there was anything I would like to see on a new Leatherman, since I didn't expect this question (and English is not my native language) I didn't really know what to say, so I just told him I liked the high polish finish on the old tools better than the "unpolished" finish on the recent ones, but I also told him that I'm quite an "old fashioned" guy, so maybe that was why I liked the old style better.  He asked me what my favorite tool was, and I told him I really liked the Rebar, and that the Rebar was the one I took with me on vacation, since it's light, very able, and legal in most European countries.  He replied that the Rebar was his favorite too, since it reminded him the most of his first PST.

Then my oldest son gave him his Charge, and while he was engraving it he asked my oldest son if he had cut himself with it, my oldest one being quite shy, did not know what to say, so I ensured Tim that he had not cut himself (yet).  Then it was my youngest son's turn, and his Charge also got engraved.  I also brought a Leatherman Banner with me, and asked if he could sign that one also, and while Tim was doing so I told him I also had a Charge in my collection for my baby girl, but that she was a bit too young right now. 

The people from Leatherman Belgium took some pics of my boys and me, with Mr. Leatherman, and they insisted on a pic with my baby girl in it as well.  The pics would be available on their facebook page in the future, so when I see them there, I'll post them in this topic also.  I told Tim I would really like to visit the factory in Oregon, but since that is not going to happen in the near future, this was the next best thing.  And he answered that if I ever want to visit the factory, I should send him an e-mail, and he would personally give us a tour, how cool is that  :D.

At the end, we shook hands, I thanked him and told him how great it had been.  The people from Leatherman Belgium gave us a couple of cool Leatherman pins, and I had a chat with them for about 15 or 20 minutes about my collection, and my passion for multitools.  And then we drove home, feeling very happy  :D.

So, here are the pics.

I hope you guys enjoyed it, I sure did  :P.

Great story  :salute:

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 01:01:44 AM
Oh wow Eric, that it so incredibly awesome!!  Congrats on that great experience buddy! :)

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 01:04:59 AM
Looks like you guys had a great day and congrats on meating the man himself. :cheers:

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 01:06:24 AM
Oh wow Eric, that it so incredibly awesome!!  Congrats on that great experience buddy! :)

+1
Very nice pics too! Crisp and clear!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 01:08:34 AM
Very cool! :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 01:15:56 AM
TG24  :hatsoff: it couldn't have happened to a better person.  You sir are officially the one person I envy  :D.

What a terrific day and experience for you and the boys, not leaving out the ladies in your life of course.  I'm so happy for you that Tim Leatherman was so generous with his time.  It's not like your ST wasn't special already now it's SUPER SPECIAL.

Such a awesome awesome awesome X's infinity day. 

Baby girl is only 6 weeks and has already met Tim  :ahhh   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 01:19:37 AM
What a great day for you and your family  :cheers:

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 01:49:15 AM
 I wish Tim come to Maryland , DC , Virginia .. I would ask him Sign BLAVE  :facepalm:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 03:14:22 AM
Great story. You realise you can't sell any of those now? ;-)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 04:39:35 AM
 :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh Wow that is so cool that you got to meet the Man himself :o That is great that you got to tell him all that stuff and actually got to have a conversation with him about MTs 8) It was cool that he signed all those tools and your kids got to meet him and have their tools signed as well :cheers:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #11 on: June 13, 2016, 05:05:45 AM
Seems like Tim is a really nice person  :salute: (as well as having started a great multi-tool business).  Good to hear how well it went for you  :tu:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #12 on: June 13, 2016, 07:53:31 AM
Great story! That is one of my dreams, to have one of mine signed by Mr. Leatherman some day.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #13 on: June 13, 2016, 08:24:52 AM
    What a fun story! Am jealous, sir. Keep hoping I can get to Portland on a business trip or something and take in  a tour myself. Don't think I'm as popular anymore like when Juli Warner was there.

One of our church members went to a submarine convention in Portland and Jim (the friend) said he really lieks them all, offered the tour a 30% discount, and had other tools at really great deals - but Jim was broke and couldn't buy any. Had asked him which one he liked best but Jim's obviously never been around Leatherman tools like we have, so when he said the one with all the tools in it I laughed.

You got to meet the man himself! Lucky guy!!  :D  :salute:
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #14 on: June 13, 2016, 08:55:07 AM
Lucky!

Well done, seems like you had a very nice day  :tu:
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: June 13, 2016, 10:07:32 AM
That is pretty cool TG.   :tu:   :tu:

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: June 13, 2016, 09:23:16 PM
Great story  :tu:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #17 on: June 14, 2016, 03:16:23 AM
Very cool! :tu:

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #18 on: June 14, 2016, 03:23:07 AM
Awesome story TG! Tim really is a class act
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #19 on: June 14, 2016, 07:22:45 AM
Awesome stuff; I also just met the man on his "world tour" and got my PST signed.
Chilled solid dude.

I also got a Tread to commemorate the occasion and he made it something to treasure.

se Offline Mr Biriyani

Reply #20 on: June 14, 2016, 02:07:56 PM
Cool great story congrats to a nice event. :cheers:

Didn´t know he make these promo/signing trips to Europe. But off course he does.
Anybody knows where to find info of those. Would be awesome to meet him and have a tool signed.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: June 14, 2016, 04:03:19 PM
Awesome stuff; I also just met the man on his "world tour" and got my PST signed.
Chilled solid dude.

I also got a Tread to commemorate the occasion and he made it something to treasure.

:2tu:
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #22 on: June 14, 2016, 09:49:27 PM
Congrats, man!

I also had the pleasure to meet him in Spain last year, and he signed me the tools as well.

He even repaired my Juice Pro himself, we went down to the warehouse and he took the ball peen hammer...the rest you can imagine

One of the best experiences I've ever had, and the one that made me join this forum after years of lurking and learning from its members!
He is a nice person, kind leader and admirable visionary man.

Enjoy it,  :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: June 14, 2016, 09:59:16 PM
Great story TG! :cheers:

Missed the chance to ask for scissors on a Rebar of course, but I'll let you off due to being put on the spot. ;)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: June 14, 2016, 10:22:45 PM
These stories are all cool :cheers: I wonder if he ever tours the US like this :think: If he does I really would have to go and meet him :ahhh

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #25 on: June 15, 2016, 05:59:12 AM
Tour the U.S.?!

The first thing I would ask is if he has an alias named Evil510.

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: June 15, 2016, 07:11:04 AM

Great stories guys  :tu:  Would love to shake his hand someday and say Thank You! I wouldn't know which tool I would like him to sign though. Probably the oldest PST I got.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #27 on: July 06, 2016, 10:40:46 PM
Long overdue ...  ::)

But here are the pics of my family and me, meeting Tim Leatherman (pics were taken by someone of Leatherman Belgium).

Apologies for the delay  :-[.

(Pics are courtesy of Stef De Belder -Studio Krims  stef@krims.be)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: July 06, 2016, 10:55:05 PM
Great pics TG  :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: July 06, 2016, 10:56:50 PM
Gorgeous family TG24.  I'm so happy you all had such a fantastic day.  Thanks for sharing these pics.   Man what a day y'all had.   
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD