Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need help, not Vic or Wenger but a good one.....

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Need help, not Vic or Wenger but a good one.....
on: June 25, 2016, 03:13:45 AM
Don't know if this is the right place, but since this is obviously a SAK take-off, I though there might be someone here who has run across one of these.  I did a search on the whole forum with no luck and Google only gives me Worthpoint to find out how much it is worth if I want to join up.  Not looking for value, just info....

In a nutshell....
1.  Built like a tank and fairly heavy.  Fit and finish nice but maybe not as nice as a Vic.  Liners are brass.  It is built for Browning in Germany and that is the only marking on the main blade.
2.  Tools.....main blade, small clip blade, very agressive woodsaw (think T-Rex), very old style can opener, cap lifter/flat screwdriver, scissors, old style triangular awl on back and a fire steel also on the back (I love this).
3.  Model # is 2718FO Outdoorsman as far as I can tell.  Just a very well built knife.

Has anyone run across this knife in the past and have any information on it?  I "think" I read somewhere that it was built in the mid 70's, but can't find where I read it.  Oh well.....

Any help appreciated....... :D

max

image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 169.88 KB)

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Re: Need help, not Vic or Wenger but a good one.....
Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 03:59:45 AM
Im no help sorry.but I have to say, that is a badass on knife :tu:
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 05:14:21 AM
Im no help sorry.but I have to say, that is a badass on knife :tu:

sLaughterMed.......Thank you and you are right, it is a badass knife.  Just wish I could find some more info on it.

Couple of things I forgot:  The woodsaw opens with a nail nick, not from the end.  The scissors have a single leg spring rather than dual.  And it does have tweezers but no toothpick.  The head of the tweezers is nickle-silver.

Seems like someone took a very old Vic and used it as their design guide.   :oops:

max

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 06:04:33 AM
Hi Boonies, welcome aboard! 

Great looking knife! Levine's Guide to Knives says Browning started offering knives about 1969, and that they were made in the US, Germany, and Japan. Sorry, but no other info on them.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 06:19:16 AM
Whatever it is :think: it is off the chain awesome :o :tu: I love the firesteel it has built in it :cheers:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 06:28:42 AM
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 10:27:12 PM
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/browning-outdoorsman-2718fo-knife-495395186

Thanks guys, there doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there but thanks for the effort.

SAK Guy......I have seen the worthpoint links but they don't give me a lot more info than I already have.  One of the similar item links under the one you sent did tell me that it is 440C stainless and Lexan scales so that much more.

I did find that Browning did start making knives in Germany in 1971 and from the Browning site that the Buckmark that they put on everything started in 1978.  This does not have the Buckmark, so that would "sort of" date this between 1971 and 1978 (a little thin maybe).   :whistle:

max

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 04:52:34 AM
....Seems like someone took a very old Vic and used it as their design guide.   :oops:

I think it was the other way around...the multi-tool pocket knife pattern probably originated in Sheffield or Solingen. The Browning is not a SAK take-off.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 05:39:29 AM
Is the firesteel replaceable? It looks like it might be the same thickness as the tiny ones they sell in some shops online.

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #9 on: June 26, 2016, 06:11:17 AM
Not as far as I can tell. It's about 3/32" dia
hst_hiker004.jpg
* hst_hiker004.jpg (Filesize: 40.59 KB)

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 07:29:11 AM

What is that? A mod? It's quite interesting.  :think:

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #11 on: June 26, 2016, 07:00:15 PM

What is that? A mod? It's quite interesting.  :think:
Yes, a mod....based on the Browning  :D. I was probably 11 when I saw the Browning in Gun Digest or Guns Illustrated...always wanted one. Never saw one in person until about 30 years later when I found that one on ebay, In the meantime, I figured out how to mod a few SAKs with firesteels.

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 09:30:24 PM
....Seems like someone took a very old Vic and used it as their design guide.   :oops:

I think it was the other way around...the multi-tool pocket knife pattern probably originated in Sheffield or Solingen. The Browning is not a SAK take-off.

Sorry Spork, farrier was here this morning to give the "big girls" a pedicure so the late reply.  Even SAK time takes a backseat to the "big girls" (sometimes even sacktime takes a backseat to the "big girls"....arrrghhh!!!)  :D

The reason my Browning looks like it came from a Vic design:  I have an old Vic Huntsman (1946-51) that has many of the same features, nail nick on woodsaw, triangular reamer, even the double nail nick on the scissors.  So it looks like the later knife (Browning) came from the earlier knife (Huntsman).  On the other hand, I truly am not up on the older knives so  there are other possibilities.

My firesteel is removable and is exactly the same diameter as the small Exotac firesteels.  Would have to be shortened of course.

Like your mod, I had exactly the same thought when I first saw the Browning.  Shorten and bore the Phillips right?

max

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #13 on: June 26, 2016, 09:51:33 PM
Cut and grind the Phillips down to a nub and fit a sleeve of 3/16" id brass tubing over it...firesteel is 3/16" (not 3/32" like I mistakenly posted earlier)

A LMF mini or a BSA Hotspark would be the correct diameter.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%