Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Knife Arrived today

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
New Knife Arrived today
on: June 28, 2016, 02:19:29 AM
At least, new to me....

As you can see, this is definitely not a "new" knife by any other definition.  I'm not going to say the guy I traded with misrepresented it, but I suppose I should have asked for more pics or details.  The fact is, it was posted in the MTO Facebook group and a bunch of other guys (FB guys, not forum members) started crapping on him- so much so that I told one of them off then banned him right then and there.

Still, I should have done my homework before trading with him.  I actually felt bad because I traded him the Huntsman I got from the Pawn Shop that I hadn't cleaned yet.  The scales were in such bad shape that I even sent him a brand new set of camouflage scales and a pocket clip for a Wave.  He'd said this knife was used pretty hard, but I didn't realize the tanto point was rounded off....  :facepalm:

For those that don't know, this is what the blade is supposed to look like:

Or this:

As you can see, my new knife is an older model, before CRKT started putting the Veff type serrations on everything.  And, overall, this knife is in decent shape- the lock locks up (although the liner does go all the way to the far side of the blade) and the LAWKS system also functions flawlessly- assuming you are in the camp of people that thinks the LAWKS is a good idea anyway.  :P

The handle is in great shape, just a few small dings and chips here and there, and the pocket clip has the paint worn off a bit but none of this is any big deal, at least not to me, and at least not in a user, which this one most definitely will be. 

For those keeping track, the grey unit above is one of the first generation of M16 knives and is an M16-12, which means it is the smallest version.  The black one with the Veff serrations is the M16-14 which was, at least at the time the largest version.  This new one is an M16-13 which is the mid range size.

It's too bad as this is a nice knife- other than the blade, which has apparently been sharpened using the Car Method.  For those not familiar with the Car Method, it's the result of people not knowing how to sharpen and resorting to power tools to do the job they aren't qualified to do with hand tools, and in the end it looks like they hung out of a car doing 60mph and dragged the blade on the asphalt.   :ahhh

I was looking forward to using this knife, but now I'm not sure that is going to happen.  I'm going to have to decide what to do with it- keep it for parts, try to grind it into a spear point, donate it to starving children in Lithuania... I dunno.

Too bad too- it was a nice knife at one point.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Re: New Knife Arrived today
Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 02:30:49 AM
They are.....sorry.  My SIL got me a left handed one on sale...I'm not left handed but it's perfect because the lock works the same direction as my Trekkers. :tu:

non trads.JPG
* non trads.JPG (Filesize: 134.73 KB)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 02:57:36 AM
Oh man. :(  Yeah, that's definitely worse than I thought it was on FB.....
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Marcellus

• What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 03:07:44 AM
Ruined by   lack of  sharpening  skill
You might get it  shaped right again, albeit a bit shorter

Been fooled myself Grant, more than once

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 03:39:18 AM
Oh man. :(  Yeah, that's definitely worse than I thought it was on FB.....

I'm glad I am not the only one who thinks so.

Ruined by   lack of  sharpening  skill
You might get it  shaped right again, albeit a bit shorter

Been fooled myself Grant, more than once

Not the first time, won't be the last I'm sure.  I don't mind taking chances here and there.  If you don't take a shot every now and then you won't get the good ones either.  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 04:29:04 AM
Oh dear, that poor knife!  :cry:

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 05:07:46 AM
I have a few old stainless knives (a Craftsman  Stockman and a Buck 110, both from the '70s) whose blades are nearly ruined from a prior owner sharpening  them on a grinder. If one don't know how to sharpen  a certain type of blade or don't  have the proper equipment, it's better off left alone.

That really sucks getting ripped off like  that. A beat up China made knife like that (even a good one like that CRKT) is worthless in my book.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 05:09:03 AM by cody6268 »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 11:23:31 PM
Good news and bad news.

I think I may have found a replacement blade.  It looks to be in better shape than mine but it is a second hand blade so it's anyone's guess.

The bad news is that Canada Post may be going on strike so who knows when or if I may ever see it.

Still, I'm pretty excited!

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 02:40:48 AM
Guess what arrived today?

It showed up a lot faster than I was expecting- Canada Post needs to go on strike more often, the level of service I've been getting lately is stellar!

As you can see, it's not a new blade, but it is much nicer than the one that was on it.

I couldn't wait to get the knife refurbished, so out came some tools- first my trusty Husky screwdriver, which has all the Torx bits you need for fiddling with knives.  It was a gift from someone at KF long before MTO was even a thing, and I love it.  It has an awful lot of miles on it.  I also needed a flathead so I grabbed the Leatherman Sidekick, because that was what was most handy when I started.

Unfortunately it failed instantly- the one job I needed the Sidekick for was doomed from the start, as the flathead is a bit too wide to fit in the slot in the screw.   :facepalm:

No problem, out comes the SOG PowerLock....

...which also promptly failed.....  :facepalm:

.... or did it?   :pok:

The flathead on the bottle opener fit the slot so perfectly I have to wonder if there has been any hanky panky behind the scenes at SOG and CRKT?

Step One completed, pivot screw removed.

Unfortunately, Step One should have been the removal of the pocket clip!   :ahhh

No matter, my Husky screwdriver got it undone in moments and I was able to move on to the small screws holding the handles together which allows us to have a look at how the knife works.

You can also see how grungy this poor knife is by looking at the spacers and washers.

As if that battered blade wasn't enough to let you know this poor knife hasn't had a good life, the innards prove it.

After pulling the blade I could do a much better direct comparison of the two of them, and you can really see how much better the new blade is than the old one.

With the blade out you can see that there's a plastic washer underneath the blade just like the one we found on top, followed by the Lake and Walker LAWKS mechanism, followed by a brass washer.  None were very happy looking, and I did a thorough cleaning of each.

The liner locking layer is permanently attached to the pivot, and so could not be removed from the lower handle slab.  They were seriously grungy, so I gave them both a good cleaning, as much as I could.  LOTs of cleaning....  :facepalm:

But it seemed like it wasn't enough, so I thought a little upgrade was in order....

After cleaning the gunk off the LAWKs mechanism and brass washer I decided to coat them with the graphite spray I'd used on the Leatherman Brewzer copy a while back to see if it would make a good tool coating.  I coated both sides and let them dry before returning to the work bench (aka kitchen table) to finish reassembly of the knife.

It went back together as well as it came apart, just in reverse order to earlier... as if I needed to say that part!  :P

A few quick tests to make sure the flipper launched the blade at the right tension and it was time to decide what to do about the pocket clip. 

Or should I say clips, because, as a bonus, the individual that I obtained the blade from also sent along a brand new clip, four new screws (one extra since in only takes three!) and a wrench for assembling and disassembling the knife and removing, moving and re-attaching the pocket clip.

The other neat thing is that the new clip is the opposite hand clip to the original, which means that this knife now has twice as many clip and carry options as the knife's standard four options would originally offer.

In the end I think this knife has turned out much better than I was expecting it to- with the graphite coated washers, extra clip option and all the cleaning, not to mention the spare tool that could be used to flip the clip or take apart the knife for cleaning.... I think this blade is going to be a superstar- and the best part, it's already scratched up so you can't feel bad about using it!

I'm glad this knife has a new lease on life, and I'm proud I had a hand in it.  And for you, the nameless shadow in an alley, skulking behind the dumpster, you are not just the supplier of parts, you are a solver of problems, and I appreciate it greatly!

Def

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 02:42:49 AM
Good deal Boss! :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 03:29:33 AM
Nice rescue job :tu: the M16s are great knives
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

Offline Australia

Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 05:12:30 AM
Excellent write up , I love my M16

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #12 on: July 06, 2016, 12:28:56 PM
Awesome! I love seeing a good knife get a new lease on life! :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: July 06, 2016, 04:43:14 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

Great looking knife!

Def

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #14 on: July 06, 2016, 05:17:21 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

Great looking knife!

Def

Wow, that really is a cool knife :tu:
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: July 07, 2016, 12:52:03 AM
It is indeed.... and it could be yours!

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,67190.0.html

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%