Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Review and field test:Cold Steel Tuff Lite Mini

kirk13 · 25 · 1284

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Review and field test:Cold Steel Tuff Lite Mini
on: July 11, 2016, 07:47:14 PM
I have a rule: If you have to think whether or not you want a thing,you don't want it! So after a couple of years of pondering,I finally pulled the trigger on a Cold Steel Tuff Lite Mini :whistle:

My first choice was the zombie green model from the UK distributor,but it was seven quid more than Heinnies before we started looking at P+P. My second choice was the pink one from Heinnies,but it was out of stock. So,displaying commendable self control I promptly ordered the plain Jane black model :shrug:

So for £34 with free P+P,I got me a Mini Tuff Lite :tu: 

« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 07:54:13 PM by kirk13 »
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Review and field test:Cold Steel Tuff Lite Mini
Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 08:06:57 PM
Here's a quick walk around the MTL

It's a warnie style two inch blade,made from AUS-8 steel. The blade is held open by a good old fashion back lock.

The scales are made from textured FRN,textured for extra grip. With the blade open there's two choils for the fingers. There's a large opening toward the end of the scales,presumably for a lanyard.

The pocket clip has only one position. Grip on chinos and my t-shirt sleeve(don't ask) was good. What it'll be like on jeans or combats we'll have to wait and see ;)

The jimping starts on the back lock and extends half way down the spine of the blade. The spacing is about 5mm,but is hard edged.

The blade will easily open one handed.

The ergonomics are good...well for me at least! If you have largish hands,I suspect the MTL will disappear in your grip.

Fit and finish is...ok. At the price,I'm not over impressed by the detail. As I already mentioned,there's sharp edging the jimping. The edges of the FRN around the blade are sharp edged too. There's nothing too much wrong with it,but Victorinox and even Rough Rider can do better for so much less!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 08:19:23 PM by kirk13 »
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 08:23:04 PM
Here's a quick reality check regarding size....

With a 93mm Alox and a Manager

And a reality check on two inch blades
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 08:32:55 PM by kirk13 »

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 08:34:18 PM
Great review!!! :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 08:37:21 PM
That's one of those knives that strikes me as potentially being very practical but the looks really aren't for me.  Thanks for the walk-around mate. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 08:37:47 PM

It's well known that I'm critical of Spydercos. It's a bit unfair to compare the MTL to Dragonfly or a Squeek,as the Spydies are orders of expense greater,but you can feel the improvement in finish. The telling comparison would be to an Ambitious,which is six quid more expensive at Heinnies prices. As you'll note,it's a Persistence in the pic,as I don't own an Ambi. But the Persistance,and for that matter,the RAT2 are just so much nicer in the hand. 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 08:45:46 PM by kirk13 »

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 08:51:34 PM
Now for all the criticisms I've offered here you'd be thinking I'm not over impressed,and TBH,I did think I'd bought a pup. But play with the MTL for a while and it starts to grow on you. It does have character!

But,in the end of the day,it's the performance in the field that counts. Tomorrow it starts work evaluation.

To finish up the basic review,here's the pros and cons

For:
-Handy size and ergonomics
-Character

Against:
-Overpriced in the UK
-Finish needs to better at the price!

And as usual it's  :2tu: to Heinnies for their service

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 08:54:17 PM
Great review!!! :cheers:

Cheers Robert :salute:

That's one of those knives that strikes me as potentially being very practical but the looks really aren't for me.  Thanks for the walk-around mate. :tu:

Good point G! It's a bit over macho for what it is,one of the reasons I'd have preferred the green or pink scales

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 11:12:41 PM
Thanks for that review, always interesting to see those smaller knifes as I prefer them over the zombie slayer pocket machetes...

Can I ask you how heavy it is?
Also, would you mind posting a picture with the blade closed?
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 12:04:24 AM
Nice review buddy
Weasel

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 12:04:47 AM
No idea on the weight,but I'll find out. I'll sort out a photo of it closed :tu:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 12:05:52 AM
Nice review buddy

Cheers Weasel  :tu:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 12:08:33 AM
No idea on the weight,but I'll find out. I'll sort out a photo of it closed :tu:

According to Cold Steel it's 48grams

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 03:18:04 AM
It is  pitty it is not that great, I'm sure ergos nd blade shape re great but the price is a bit steep. Always had a soft spot for the colored ones, specially the pink one. Looking forward for the long term review, thanks for the write up.

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #14 on: July 12, 2016, 06:44:29 AM
And its not just a basic lock back, it has an extra stop pin in the lock to take "all the force" a small knife like this may put on the lock.
Overkill but serves some academic purpose to know you have a Triad Lock on your little baby.

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 12, 2016, 08:40:52 AM
Nice review!
I have looked at those a few times, but never pulled the trigger.
Looking forward to the field testing! :popcorn:
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: July 12, 2016, 09:23:58 PM

According to Cold Steel it's 48grams

And this is what it looks like closed!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: July 13, 2016, 01:07:45 AM
Results after day one:

Can't complain. Pocket clip behaved well,held on my work combats without issue.

One hand opening is easy and straight forward for me. Nice and sharp with the factory edge,sliced through decent cardboard packing cartons without effort.

What I do need to report o is the ergonomics. While there's nothing specifically wrong with the design,the grip is aimed at a single purpose,ie,long straight cuts on a level plain towards the user. Very much like a classic Stanley knife. As soon as leave that style of cutting,the choils kinda become irrelevant.

I can't help thinking that there's been design for design sakes at play here...

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #18 on: July 17, 2016, 02:32:03 AM
:bump:
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: July 18, 2016, 01:37:41 PM
Results after day one:

Can't complain. Pocket clip behaved well,held on my work combats without issue.

One hand opening is easy and straight forward for me. Nice and sharp with the factory edge,sliced through decent cardboard packing cartons without effort.

What I do need to report o is the ergonomics. While there's nothing specifically wrong with the design,the grip is aimed at a single purpose,ie,long straight cuts on a level plain towards the user. Very much like a classic Stanley knife. As soon as leave that style of cutting,the choils kinda become irrelevant.

I can't help thinking that there's been design for design sakes at play here...

Is something I've been giving some thought lately, on one hand for the grip it is designed it might be great, but is probably terrible for any other.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: July 18, 2016, 11:11:05 PM
Thanks for the :bump:

So,the MTL saw three days of heavy use,working through two pallets of stock,as well as two fairly chilled days of general light cutting jobs.

One of my concerns was the pocket clip,but I'm very pleased to report that the clip maintained a firm grip all week,regardless which trousers they were being clipped to.

The edge on the blade held up well,not needing a touch up after all the cutting.

Overall,the field test kinda ends on a Top Gear style bombshell. Fundamentally there's nothing wrong with the Mini Tuff Lite. It's biggest problem is that there's better knives available at the same or similar prices. To me,the unique selling features were the short warnie style blade coupled to the ergonomics. In practise they offered nothing unduly special in handling or use.

Now,if the MTL were five to ten pounds cheaper? Well,then it would be a major :woohoo: moment. But at £30-35? Buy a Rat 2 or an Ambi!

Now,back to Matt LeBlanc in the studio...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 11:26:58 PM by kirk13 »

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: July 19, 2016, 12:01:06 AM
Great write up sir, was really fun to follow your adventures with the lil fella!!!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: July 19, 2016, 12:21:57 AM
Great write up sir, was really fun to follow your adventures with the lil fella!!!

Cheers W3! 

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: July 19, 2016, 12:28:09 AM
Speaking of the Rat 2 how do you like it ? Maybe I missed it but did you ever do a review of it when you got it ?

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: July 19, 2016, 01:01:19 AM
Speaking of the Rat 2 how do you like it ? Maybe I missed it but did you ever do a review of it when you got it ?

No,I never did. Honest opinion? I think it's by far and away the best 'tactical' folder I own. Above and beyond that,I reckon it's just a damn good knife!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%