Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Modding Rebar Knifeless?

se Offline hectorlektor

Modding Rebar Knifeless?
on: July 30, 2016, 05:32:49 PM
Hello! Im new to the forum! I live in Sweden. Anyone ever tried to mod a knifeless Rebar to remove the saw? Maybe add a bit holder or something like that?

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Re: Modding Rebar Knifeless?
Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 05:50:48 PM
Welcome!

I havent with a knifeless one, but I have with normal Rebars, and they are essentially the same.

What you are going to discover is that assembly is going to be a bit of a puzzle, as the bit holder is not a straight swap for the saw, because it is actually as wide as the Phillip driver. I suspect the most likely reassembly will move the awl to the opposite handle, put the bit driver in the middle, and move the flatheads to the outsides of that handle. The scissors, because of the thumb pad, will need to stay in the same place. This will cause some binding of the pliers during closing, but it is avoidable with careful closing.

Ideally the bit driver would go on the outside (avoiding the binding issue) but im pretty sure that the lock tabs will prevent it from stowing in the handle (this is why the long tools have those triangular cutouts, and why the scissors cant move to the outside.)
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 05:59:51 PM
Oh, and for disassembly, I recommend a set of Leatherman modding wrenches from loki-mobile. They can be found here:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,61708.msg1186359.html#msg1186359

Sets 1, 2, 3, 4 & 10 will all work for your Rebar. I recommend set 2, as it will allow you to mod any modern Leatherman out there, except the OG Wave and Sideclip (those both need 5 star torx bits, from set 3 and 4).

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

se Offline hectorlektor

Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 07:12:07 PM
Thanks for your reply! Any tips on the easiest Leatherman to mod to become knifeless and sawless?

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 09:36:05 PM
Thanks for your reply! Any tips on the easiest Leatherman to mod to become knifeless and sawless?
Honestly, a normal Rebar is pretty easy, if you remove the blades and saw there is enough room to add scissors and a bit driver. They are all about the same for ease of modding, although the Wave, Charge and Surge can get a little more involved, as they are more complex tools.

se Offline hectorlektor

Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 10:02:48 PM
Is it possible to buy a "standard" bit driver as the one in the wave as a spare part?

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 10:08:14 PM
loki-mobile might have one for sale: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,64314.0.html

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 12:00:33 AM
I can get onboard with a modded knife less rebar. Just pair it with a big blade, best of both!
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 06:50:28 AM
Way to jump right in there sLaughtermed :cheers: Good link for the wrenches from loki-mobile :tu:

As hiraethus said loki-mobile is a good source of parts as well as those wrenches above :cheers:

se Offline hectorlektor

Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 02:31:09 PM
Well wouldn't carry a big blade since I don't want to agitate the police  :D

Anyway, one thought that hit me is, is it possible to just cut off the saw on the knifeless rebar with a dremeltool or something like that?

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 03:10:45 PM

Anyway, one thought that hit me is, is it possible to just cut off the saw on the knifeless rebar with a dremeltool or something like that?
Well I suppose there is nothing stopping you... you would be missing out on trading that saw for a bit driver though.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: July 31, 2016, 04:27:47 PM

Well I suppose there is nothing stopping you... you would be missing out on trading that saw for a bit driver though.

Very good point sLmed :cheers: I would wait on cutting it just in case you want to trade it :tu:

se Offline hectorlektor

Reply #12 on: July 31, 2016, 05:24:28 PM
Puh, it feels a litte bit scary to mess with such a nice tool, any tips for modding?  :D

se Offline hectorlektor

Reply #13 on: July 31, 2016, 07:08:47 PM
By the way, I think I settled my mind on a knifeless Rebar and just removing the saw and adding spacers/washers. Anyone got any idea of the size of the washers/spacers needed? Well, more specifically the size of the "bolt" that holds all together?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 07:10:29 PM by hectorlektor »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: July 31, 2016, 09:43:19 PM
Just check the links above for the wrenches as they are a special made type fastener  :tu:

Don't know about where you will get washers unless you can get them from another member on here  :think:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: July 31, 2016, 09:48:56 PM
The pivot diameter is 7/16ths I believe. You should be able to find a suitable washer or something close enough at the hardware store. Loki's tools are great but you can get by with good pliers if you are careful. Just be sure to heat up the screw to break the loc-tite. Only one side turns (the side opposite the knife blade), the other is keyed into the handle.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: August 01, 2016, 03:14:53 AM
The pivot diameter is 7/16ths I believe. You should be able to find a suitable washer or something close enough at the hardware store. Loki's tools are great but you can get by with good pliers if you are careful. Just be sure to heat up the screw to break the loc-tite. Only one side turns (the side opposite the knife blade), the other is keyed into the handle.

After using Kick clips and pliers for so many years then going to the wrenches and they make everything work so easy :dd: I don't think I could go back to the other way :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :D But it can be done :D

se Offline hectorlektor

Reply #17 on: August 01, 2016, 04:38:41 PM
I got a replacement Wingman when I sent in my faulty Kick to the Swedish Leatherman rep which handles warranty here i Sweden. So I got some washers and made my old wingman knifeless, works like a charm. To be honest I didn't expected it to be so much fun :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: August 01, 2016, 05:06:16 PM
Good deal hector :cheers: I like the Wingman personally and I would say it is more user friendly looking than some MTs as well :tu:

se Offline hectorlektor

Reply #19 on: August 01, 2016, 05:23:42 PM
Thanks! My name is actually David, Hector is one of my cats  :D

It was so fun that Im actually thinking about getting the knifeless rebar and keep modding  :multi:

Good deal hector :cheers: I like the Wingman personally and I would say it is more user friendly looking than some MTs as well :tu:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 05:51:26 PM by hectorlektor »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: August 01, 2016, 09:27:02 PM
Thanks! My name is actually David, Hector is one of my cats  :D

It was so fun that Im actually thinking about getting the knifeless rebar and keep modding  :multi:

Sounds good David :D Remember to take pics :cheers: We love pics here :tu:

se Offline hectorlektor

Reply #21 on: August 01, 2016, 11:10:47 PM
So I removed the knife and put in a couple of washers
Not a huge mod, but it all starts small :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: August 02, 2016, 04:17:17 AM
So I removed the knife and put in a couple of washers
Not a huge mod, but it all starts small :D

(Image removed from quote.)

Good clear closeup pic thanks :tu:

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: August 02, 2016, 04:22:47 AM
I got a replacement Wingman when I sent in my faulty Kick to the Swedish Leatherman rep which handles warranty here i Sweden. So I got some washers and made my old wingman knifeless, works like a charm. To be honest I didn't expected it to be so much fun :D
Sorry you can't carry a knife around on the daily... I'd be super bummed.

By the way, did they let you know they were going to replace your kick with a wingman prior, or did they just make the decision on their behalf?
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

se Offline hectorlektor

Reply #24 on: August 02, 2016, 06:25:18 AM
They didn't tell me, but to be honest it was the wingman i had in mind when i sent it in :)

Quote from: kaput
link=topic=67644.msg1318073#msg1318073 date=1470104567
Sorry you can't carry a knife around on the daily... I'd be super bummed.

By the way, did they let you know they were going to replace your kick with a wingman prior, or did they just make the decision on their behalf?

se Offline hectorlektor

Reply #25 on: August 12, 2016, 02:06:39 PM
I just bought a wrench set from Loki, let's just get a bit driver!  :D

Oh, and for disassembly, I recommend a set of Leatherman modding wrenches from loki-mobile. They can be found here:

Sets 1, 2, 3, 4 & 10 will all work for your Rebar. I recommend set 2, as it will allow you to mod any modern Leatherman out there, except the OG Wave and Sideclip (those both need 5 star torx bits, from set 3 and 4).

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: August 12, 2016, 03:13:22 PM
I just bought a wrench set from Loki, let's just get a bit driver!  :D

Cant wait to see what you come up with :tu:

se Offline hectorlektor

Reply #27 on: August 12, 2016, 06:39:07 PM
Im really excited! Ordered a bit holder as well, so now it's the waiting!

se Offline hectorlektor

Reply #28 on: August 12, 2016, 08:20:36 PM
So I did a little measuring on my Wave and my Rebar. It seems like the measurements are near or identical in handlelenght and so on. The width of the bit holder should just fit if I remove a thin washer. However, will the bit driver lay underneath the pliers when folded? Otherwise it would be hard to fit, but on the other hand it lays under on the wave and therefor fit and the head measurements look like they are the same more or less. Any ideas?

EDIT: Btw it's the knifeless Rebar, but what I understand it's the same as the regular Rebar but blades removed and added scissors.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 08:22:54 PM by hectorlektor »

se Offline hectorlektor

Reply #29 on: August 22, 2016, 05:06:18 PM
So I finally did it! Got the tools and bit driver from loki today, nice touch with the postcard btw!.
I removed the saw and the fattest of the flatheads and left the thinner flat head there for any light prying needs in the future. Now the knifeless Rebar truly is knifeless! The scissors is still there, but no one cares about a set of tiny scissors, not even the swedish police! I'm very happy with the results and it's awesome! Btw, also removed two micro washers.

The bit driver fitted almost as if it was native to the tool!

« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 05:08:24 PM by hectorlektor »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD