Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Where i can buy Leatherman Tools ?

fr Offline valivoilou

• New User
Where i can buy Leatherman Tools ?
on: August 12, 2016, 04:37:39 PM
Hi everybody,

I'm a french addict of Outdoor camping and survival. I have a lot of tools to help me during my excursions, but recently, i have a friend who says me : "Why don't you buy a Leatherman ? ".
I do some researches and that's right that's the Leatherman tools seemed to be perfect. Lots of useful tools in a very transportable object : a dream for a fan of wild camping !

But the problem is i don't really like buying stuff on Internet. So my question is where do you buy your Leatherman Tools ? Shops ? Internet ?

Tell me ! Thanks  :)

au Offline Gohard

• Leatherman fanatic!!
Re: Where i can buy Leatherman Tools ?
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 04:46:55 PM
Welcome.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 05:16:49 PM
Welcome to :MTO:

Some of our European members will be along shortly to help you I am sure :cheers:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 07:16:58 PM
Welcome to MTO :waving:

I'm European, living in Croatia, and have had more than 30 Leatherman tools over the years. Not a single one was bought in a shop locally. The prices they go for new here are often times 2 or 3 times the ones they go for in the USA. Same goes for internet shops here.

I bought a lot of them from the US, some new, some used, and quite a few here on the forum in the for sale section. We have a large number of European members here and the multitools often change hands among us at more reasonable prices than you see in EU shops.

00 Offline matty78943

Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 07:17:56 PM
i would probably say online but i dont know if any camping stores might sell them?

fr Offline valivoilou

• New User
Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 04:11:26 PM
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your fast answers  :)

Yeah, as i thought, online seems to be the best solution. It's very difficult to find  Leatherman tools on local shops.

Another question, what's the best Leatherman for camping ? I made some researches and i think Wave seems to be nice, but in prefer ask this forum before

What do you think ?

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 04:20:27 PM
The wave would be great for camping. If you want something that you can interchange saw blades (it can use any t-shank jigsaw blades) then go for the surge, but it is a lot heavier.

If you want the wave form factor but a bit lighter to carry then look at the charge series as they have the same load out with different frames, and higher spec standard blade material on some to.

But you won't go wrong with a wave  :tu:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 07:08:37 PM
Although there are 2 shops, one near my house that sells Leatherman, Gerber, Mora and Victorinox tools and another near my workplace that sells Leatherman, SOG, Victorinox tools, I bought all my Leatherman and Victorinox multitools from members of this forum. I buy Swiss Army Knives and accessories from those two shops, but the prices they charge for Leatherman tools is insane.

Most Leatherman tools aren't very good for camping. Some lack an awl, some have short saws etc. A Wave/Charge would be handy but, in my opinion, the Signal is the most relative to camping needs.  It has an awl, a lightweight hammer, a wood saw, a whistle, a fire rod and a diamond sharpener, tools one might need in the outdoors.

You might find similar tools in other packages though.
The new Opinel #12 Explore has the rod, the whistle and a bigger blade (and a gutting hook also). Some Mora knives have a rod (which you can buy from elsewhere anyway) and they are excellent camping knives. A Victorinox Delemot Ranger knife 130mm will have a bigger blade and a bigger saw. A 91mm Victorinox, souch as the Swisschamp, will have smaller tools but more specialized, such as tweezers, tir boissson, scissors (which are the most  useful tool for anything and anyonne I think), fish scaler, magnifying glass etc. All these and many other options cost less than these Leatherman tools. I would go with a Swiss Army Knife and a bigger blade, such as the Wenger, Mora, Delemont or something of this size.

00 Offline matty78943

Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 07:19:45 PM
for camping maybe a leatherman sidekick? it will be a lot cheaper but wont have as many tools as say a wave or signal so really you get what you may for

fr Offline valivoilou

• New User
Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 04:32:18 PM
Hmmm, after doing somes researches, i though the Signal seems to be very nice for my use (essentially camping). I like the fact it has combo knife (very usefull for me), bottle and box opener, whistle, whetstone ... It seems to be bery full of nice tools. And i love his look due to his black handle !

The problem is i have no idea where buying the Leatherman Signal. I resign buying it on the web, maybe at https://www.le-multifonction.com/outils-multifonction-pour-le-militaire/28-leatherman-signal-avec-etui.html. 5% discount for first order, not so bad for an expensive product....

Before ordering, i'm going to seek for shops in my country :)

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 05:13:18 PM
I like the Signal but the awl isn't very good IMO. Pair it up with a 93mm SAK like the Pioneer X for an excellent awl and scissors. Another good MT is the Victorinox Spirit.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%