Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What do you HATE about multitools?

us Offline radioactive_Man

What do you HATE about multitools?
on: October 01, 2016, 04:18:44 AM
 Sure, there are lots of things to love about MTs, but what things do you hate? Maybe enough so that you would never buy/use a certain mt.

1- Inside opening tools. Its incredibly inconvenient. You have to open the pliers, find your tool, open that, then close the pliers. And do it all over again to put the tool away. It might seem like a small deal, but it drives me crazy. I have a PST that sits in my car glove box, so its not a total deal breaker, but I also have a Micra that I never use because I hate.

2- Single use driver bits/ not utilizing space. With a few exceptions I hate single use driver, and tools in general. The is my big problem with the Juice line. It has 3 drivers that just vary a little in width. The Swisstool Spirit weighs only about 2.5 ounces more and can do about a billion things more, because of all the multiple use tools. The Spirit also utilizes space extremely well, with large tools packed tightly into a small package. The SOG Pocket Powerplier does a terrible job.

3- Everyone in the Army calling my Swisstool a "Gerber"  :rant:

What are your hates/ pet peeves?

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Re: What do you HATE about multitools?
Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 08:44:38 AM
Not me per se, but my WALLET absolutely loathes all kinds of multitools, since it's on permanent diet because of them...

:D
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

fi Offline Padre

Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 11:24:13 AM
Overabundance of can openers and lack of good old SOG-style awls.
There should be more of diamond files around and more knife blades with modern knife steel and sturdier locks.
The lack of side positioned wire cutters like on MP1.

Soooo.  I guess I still wait for my dream tool to come around, as I dont have the materials, tools or know-how how I can make my own tool.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 01:04:18 PM
I hate not having them all...

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 02:44:38 PM
Not offering non-locking knife options for multitools which have locking tools (which I still want) - for countries like UK, France, Denmark and some other countries where it's not legal to carry a locking knife. Or even just more options for multitools with no knife, as I don't mind carrying a separate one.

I'm okay for now as have a Leatherman Knifeless Fuse, but other options would have been nice, especially for the Victorinox Swisstools

« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 02:46:26 PM by Oxford_Guy »
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 03:18:37 PM
Not being SAKs. I mean, they don't have the SAK layered engineering (Juice excluded) and the SAK ultra low tolerances (Swisstool excluded) and the SAK pocketability (Spirit excluded) and the SAK choice of tools (pruner and such rare tools).
I mostly like the Juice and Spirit because they resemble SAKs. If Juice was made by Victorinox, with the same tools but in their Swiss time tested format (keeping a diamond side on the file) it would be my No 1 multitool.
Spirit is made by Victorinox and it has SAK tools but also locking, with a better reach and some are redesigned to be better (like the prying bottle opener). I only dream of a "Spirit Companion", having all Victorinox tools found on XLT (or XAVT, why not?) which aren't already included in the Spirit, starting from a proper 91mm pair of scissors. That would be a killer combination.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 04:26:42 PM
1. Wasted space - Like in most Chinese cheapos, some Gerbers and SOGs. Foolow Victorinox or early LM's example for God's sake!
2. Locks - I hate bad locking systems (like those on the Powerplay or the Gerber MP800) that are a pain to use and hard to reach. I dislike wiggly locking clips (hey, Surge, that's for you) or wrongly placed clips (Wingman? Wave? Why the hell would you put the clip on that side?)
3. Fish scalers - mostly on Chinese MTs and cheapos, they don't even work as they were meant to, and only 5% of the people that buy MTs will have a real use for them
4. Non cutting saws - On chep MTs and knockoffs, saws that just don't cut at all and are made just for looks
5. Files - bad and cheap, completely rubbish garbage on most $3 tools that won't file anything and have such a crap patters/aggresiveness
6. Bad scissors - same as the two above, also included bad rounded Phillips driver
7. Overabundance of flat drivers (sometimes even 4 in one tool)
8. Parts that can get lost easily - SOG's adapter's spring, SOG's scissor spring, Leatherman's bit drivers, etc.

I could probably say a lot more, but these are the mones that come to mind immediately
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 08:23:28 PM
Leatherman/Gerber/SOG prices in countries other than the USA
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #8 on: October 01, 2016, 10:29:25 PM
I don't hate anything about MTs, but . . .

- for me the can opener is a waste of space; I have never used one
- for my purposes, only Victorinox scissors are adequately precise
- yeah, inside opening tools are sub-optimal; slow to deploy, and make for an ouchy plier experience when gripping the tools
- short, stubby drivers like you find on the Wave, etc. don't have any reach and are not groovy

These are the reasons that the Swisstool Spirit is probably my favorite EDC MT.  But I still love them all and could get by just fine with almost any of them.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 11:08:25 PM
Just took a Surge, a OHT and a Mut apart. Those 3 tools have 6 sizes outside tool, so no shuffling of the tools.

Surge, 1 size outside tools
OHT, 2 sizes of outside tools
MUT, 3 sizes of outside tools (the smaller tools have different inside diameter).

I love the hammer of the Mut, but I because of that (and the fact that the smaller outside tools are non-locking), I cannot customize in a way that it becomes useful to me.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 11:40:31 PM
I have the Charge TTi. It goes for 299 € here (!!!). What do I get for that amount of money that I like? A nice OHO clip point blade (SV30, not that I needed that), an OHO serrated blade with hook and a diamond file. All the rest tools are inferior to those a SAK or a Swisstool has (according to my use/needs). No owl and an excuse of a pair of scissors (Surge does better with both). Why would I want to pay 300 for these (I didn't I bought preowned for around half that amount)? Leatherman could sell a double blade knife with the same blades that would be lighter, cheaper and more ergonomic and would complement nicely a multitool with all the rest and not OHO blades. Any, from a knifeless Fuse to a new multitool that would add a Surge like pair of scisors and an OHO bit driver with extension built in, or a really nice awl in place of the blades. They will not do it.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 05:21:04 AM
That they retire the good ones.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 11:09:21 AM
I have the Charge TTi. It goes for 299 € here (!!!). What do I get for that amount of money that I like? A nice OHO clip point blade (SV30, not that I needed that), an OHO serrated blade with hook and a diamond file. All the rest tools are inferior to those a SAK or a Swisstool has (according to my use/needs). No owl and an excuse of a pair of scissors (Surge does better with both). Why would I want to pay 300 for these (I didn't I bought preowned for around half that amount)? Leatherman could sell a double blade knife with the same blades that would be lighter, cheaper and more ergonomic and would complement nicely a multitool with all the rest and not OHO blades. Any, from a knifeless Fuse to a new multitool that would add a Surge like pair of scisors and an OHO bit driver with extension built in, or a really nice awl in place of the blades. They will not do it.

Respectfully I disagree.
I love SAK scissors but the Charge scissors are in no way an excuse for scissors.
Charge costs for much the same reason Syphs custom SAKs do, titanium scales.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #13 on: October 02, 2016, 11:27:07 AM
They are not bad, but they are almost Vic Classic size, very small for the size of the tool. And not very ready to be used (on the inside and need to be deployed after opening). Leatherman has bigger scissors on Surge, Juice, Squirt and Micra, I compare them to these.
I would prefer an awl and use a Squirt S4 or a Pioneer X separately. I had the same problem with Spirit scissors.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 11:29:20 AM by kkokkolis »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #14 on: October 02, 2016, 12:13:43 PM
That they retire the good ones.

:like: that mindset. Forgot to mention it, I really hate the "discontinuing" of the best models, both knives and Multitools, like these champs:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 02, 2016, 07:00:05 PM
I understand why companies discontinue certain products, so thus I blame the consumers for not properly consuming  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

I like, carry and use my LM KF4 a lot and managed to score a backup in case of loss. I do wonder though, if something were to break on it, would LM be willing to repair it and charge accordingly? There is nothing proprietary about it (other than possibly the yellow scales) and all of the parts are currently being made for the XE6. Hopefully I will never have to find out :dwts:

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: October 02, 2016, 08:25:09 PM
Speaking to SAK fans: Does anybody really Need a cork screw as an edc? Other than a micro screw holder, WHY?

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: October 02, 2016, 08:35:51 PM
Speaking to SAK fans: Does anybody really Need a cork screw as an edc? Other than a micro screw holder, WHY?

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65298.msg1243349.html#msg1243349

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #18 on: October 02, 2016, 08:48:18 PM

In France most wine still comes with a regular cork, whenever I go to France (which is quite often, as my wife is French), I always make sure I have a knife with a corkscrew on it.  As for whether you need it for an EDC, I guess that depends how often you think it's likely you'll need to open an impromptu bottle...
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #19 on: October 03, 2016, 10:02:26 AM
I hate when a tool is made bigger than it has to be: comparing Charge to Wave, no added functions, but added bulk. Yes, Wave is not very comfortable in hand because it has many sharp edges, but that can be address but manually soften them up with file and sandpaper. (Leatherman should have done that instead of the users  :twak: )
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #20 on: October 03, 2016, 11:16:43 AM
Hate?  Not much.  They're mostly great. :)  I dislike the ubiquity of bottle openers and the proliferation of poor quality one-piece tools but other than that find it hard to get worked up about what is essentially a luxury item.

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: October 03, 2016, 12:18:10 PM
- The bulkiness to use the blade. A good knife will be better always.
- Unproperly action of tools (scissors, drivers)
- Weight
- Lack of small and medium Victorinox multitools

00 Offline IvanDrago

Reply #22 on: October 03, 2016, 12:58:25 PM
I hate LM because when I'm firmly pressing pliers my hand slipping forward because arms are straight. It should be arched, like in regular pliers.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 12:59:42 PM by IvanDrago »

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: October 03, 2016, 01:08:34 PM
I hate LM because when I'm firmly pressing pliers my hand slipping forward because arms are straight. It should be arched, like in regular pliers.
(Image removed from quote.)

Seems like you're not the only one thinking that... :D

I just had to post this, since I guess nobody expected to see that MT in this thread. :D

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #24 on: October 03, 2016, 01:14:21 PM

Seems like you're not the only one thinking that... :D

I just had to post this, since I guess nobody expected to see that MT in this thread. :D

You're right. It's a "I hate" thread, no way a Vic would have been mentioned here if not for your post.

:salute: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #25 on: October 03, 2016, 02:02:28 PM
1. Wasted space. Case in point: SOG PPP's washers. Why? Could nothing else fit in there? A small flathead, or maybe a Phillips head with a thicker shaft?
Flatheads are also a plague, especially in cheapos, or some early models, like the OG Wave, or SideClip. Victorinox has solved this, with flathead tips on other implements.

2. Poor design choices. SOG's PowerLock handle covers are terrible. The implements are already on the inside, no reason to add an additional step to deploy them. Roll the handle edges to improve comfort.
This would also include multi-tools that were designed by people who have never used one, not even the one they made. I'm looking at you, Camillus Les Stroud Engage MT.

3. Lack of pocket clips. This is a common mod people do, due to a lot of models not having it, like the Rebar, Spirit, SAKs, and others. Why are there no pocket-clip scales for 91mm models?

4. Poor quality control. It's fairly accepted that QC has somewhat slipped in recent years. More and more LM and Vic models show up with issues, minor ones usually, but issues nonetheless.

5. Reluctance to go a step further. LM has the staple two blades for a while now. Why not broaden the spectrum, and offer the standard LM plain edge blade, along with a curved, serrated blade? Or a utility blade holder?
Victorinox seems to offer a new model every century. And even then, it's just minor tweaks. Take a look at the SAK mods. If new models are just limited to different arrangements of the existing implements, then shake it up a bit. Add a serrated blade on a Farmer, along with a small one, or whatever. Put plus scales in all models (there already are plus scales for 111mm models, why are they exclusive to Garant?), or, better yet, allow us to choose the color and side tools, when ordering a SAK, just as if we were choosing which color and length of paracord we are ordering. Scissors on 111mm liner-locks, file/pliers on 93mm models, alox/G10/Ti for 91mm models, awls on 58mm models. There is plenty of room for new features.

6. Poor quality implements. Lousy attempts at scissors. This explains the lack of scissors on cheap models, and cheap brands. Two blades, a spring, and the ability to cut effectively, while still being able to fold the entire thing into the handle is a bit tricky to pull off. Reamers, Phillips drivers, blade shapes, OHO systems, there's always something off.

00 Offline IvanDrago

Reply #26 on: October 03, 2016, 03:09:47 PM
Outburst of anger  :ahhh But I'm with you :like:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: October 03, 2016, 05:15:18 PM
1. Wasted space. Case in point: SOG PPP's washers. Why? Could nothing else fit in there? A small flathead, or maybe a Phillips head with a thicker shaft?
Flatheads are also a plague, especially in cheapos, or some early models, like the OG Wave, or SideClip. Victorinox has solved this, with flathead tips on other implements.

2. Poor design choices. SOG's PowerLock handle covers are terrible. The implements are already on the inside, no reason to add an additional step to deploy them. Roll the handle edges to improve comfort.
This would also include multi-tools that were designed by people who have never used one, not even the one they made. I'm looking at you, Camillus Les Stroud Engage MT.

3. Lack of pocket clips. This is a common mod people do, due to a lot of models not having it, like the Rebar, Spirit, SAKs, and others. Why are there no pocket-clip scales for 91mm models?

4. Poor quality control. It's fairly accepted that QC has somewhat slipped in recent years. More and more LM and Vic models show up with issues, minor ones usually, but issues nonetheless.

5. Reluctance to go a step further. LM has the staple two blades for a while now. Why not broaden the spectrum, and offer the standard LM plain edge blade, along with a curved, serrated blade? Or a utility blade holder?
Victorinox seems to offer a new model every century. And even then, it's just minor tweaks. Take a look at the SAK mods. If new models are just limited to different arrangements of the existing implements, then shake it up a bit. Add a serrated blade on a Farmer, along with a small one, or whatever. Put plus scales in all models (there already are plus scales for 111mm models, why are they exclusive to Garant?), or, better yet, allow us to choose the color and side tools, when ordering a SAK, just as if we were choosing which color and length of paracord we are ordering. Scissors on 111mm liner-locks, file/pliers on 93mm models, alox/G10/Ti for 91mm models, awls on 58mm models. There is plenty of room for new features.

6. Poor quality implements. Lousy attempts at scissors. This explains the lack of scissors on cheap models, and cheap brands. Two blades, a spring, and the ability to cut effectively, while still being able to fold the entire thing into the handle is a bit tricky to pull off. Reamers, Phillips drivers, blade shapes, OHO systems, there's always something off.
:like:

You pretty much covered everything I was thinking. I would also add not utilizing space. OG Wave is an easy example. Four flat heads and no awl. FOUR!!!!! Why Leatherman? :bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd:

Oh and the Spirit needs a pocket clip option.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: October 03, 2016, 05:21:33 PM
Some pretty good responses.  Better sheaths is something I have an issue with.  I love the old LM leather sheaths.  The molle ones are pretty good as well but come on, spending $100 on a tool and getting a sub par sheath is not cool. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline JasonJ

Reply #29 on: October 03, 2016, 05:56:39 PM
I'm with Aloha007 on the sheaths... I pay $100 for ANY tool and it had best come with the best quality sheath/case/carrying implement ever. 

The weight of most tools bothers me, as does the inclusion of too many of one type of tool (how many flat blade drivers do I need?), or low quality ones.  It also bugs me that the clip on the Wingman/Sidekick is on the wrong side... or at least that they didn't put the locking tab hole on the other sides as well, so that the user could move it to whichever of the 8 corners he/she wished.

I'd also like to see the inclusion of some sort of maintenance, or care kit with tools above a certain price range/quality level.  You buy a nice enough firearm, you sometimes get a cleaning kit, or at least a cloth and some lubricant for it... why not on a $50+ MT?  Some pivot lube, a tiny cleaning brush, ceramic honing tool (even just a cheap plastic one).  That would be nice, and is irritating that it already doesnt happen.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%