Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Poncho's Attempt at the Trad Folder Badge

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Poncho's Attempt at the Trad Folder Badge
Reply #30 on: October 13, 2016, 05:08:14 PM
Day 4 Carrying a GEC 1 of 50 #49 1 bladed whancliffe today :dd: I love the blade shape and I actually bought this knife at SMKW on vendor weekend a few years ago from one of the owners of the company and he may even be one of the designers as well :think:

The Ranger must be getting jealous as he snuck into one of the pics ::) :D

Nice one  :drool:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #31 on: October 13, 2016, 05:09:15 PM
New page nana dance

:nanadance::nanadance::nanadance::nanadance:

us Offline SteelRaven

• Steel is a mystical thing!!
Reply #32 on: October 14, 2016, 12:55:03 AM
Ponch...I gotta say...when it comes to old school everyday great stuff that all the super duper interweb commandos slough off as "no good":with a list of BS REASONS attached

You got it cornered bro!

I love a good two blade trapper...or those really old big heavy two blade hunters...blades that hold an edge, sharpen fairly easy, walk and talk...and once you discover the proper use of a good ceramic rod so ya don't scratch em up...you're GTG.

Man...I'm sorry but that's the $&@!. Period. End of file, next case.

Do I love the big tough stuff...well yeah.

But there is a place for the classic beauty of a good well made slipjoint.

Thanks buddy :tu:

It has already been good getting reacquainted with some of my old friends that haven't seen pocket time in a while :cheers: I will probably try to reintegrate a trad in my EDC after this challenge for sure :tu:

Wait...stop the presses...?? A ceramic blade trapper..does it have the snap of a CASE?? Just wondering cause...it's...glass, right?? I mean, I get it, chemistry is the difference, but still...and do you use DMT XF to touch dat up?
"As a matter of Survival, all creatures are fair game"

Les Stroud.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #33 on: October 14, 2016, 01:01:16 AM
Day 4 Carrying a GEC 1 of 50 #49 1 bladed whancliffe today :dd: I love the blade shape and I actually bought this knife at SMKW on vendor weekend a few years ago from one of the owners of the company and he may even be one of the designers as well :think:

The Ranger must be getting jealous as he snuck into one of the pics ::) :D

:drool:
I've never heard of a #49, that's a keeper for sure.

On this one it is just #49 out of 50 pieces made :tu: It does have the number 250109 on it but I am afraid I don't know what those numbers mean :whistle: :D

us Offline SteelRaven

• Steel is a mystical thing!!
Reply #34 on: October 14, 2016, 01:12:55 AM
I always wuved de Seahosees cause o de warncliffs shape. I shoulda bought 7 when dey came out!
"As a matter of Survival, all creatures are fair game"

Les Stroud.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #35 on: October 14, 2016, 01:16:07 AM
Ponch...I gotta say...when it comes to old school everyday great stuff that all the super duper interweb commandos slough off as "no good":with a list of BS REASONS attached

You got it cornered bro!

I love a good two blade trapper...or those really old big heavy two blade hunters...blades that hold an edge, sharpen fairly easy, walk and talk...and once you discover the proper use of a good ceramic rod so ya don't scratch em up...you're GTG.

Man...I'm sorry but that's the $&@!. Period. End of file, next case.

Do I love the big tough stuff...well yeah.

But there is a place for the classic beauty of a good well made slipjoint.

Thanks buddy :tu:

It has already been good getting reacquainted with some of my old friends that haven't seen pocket time in a while :cheers: I will probably try to reintegrate a trad in my EDC after this challenge for sure :tu:

Wait...stop the presses...?? A ceramic blade trapper..does it have the snap of a CASE?? Just wondering cause...it's...glass, right?? I mean, I get it, chemistry is the difference, but still...and do you use DMT XF to touch dat up?

It has a very good snap in it :tu: It is a Rough Rider and yes ceramic as in glass :D I haven't really used it much so I haven't had to sharpen it yet but yes I would use a DMT to touch it up :cheers: I thought it was black oxide when I bought it and would have been very surprised had I used it and it broke but I looked it up when I got home and only then did I find out about the ceramic part :ahhh I just read about it again and it says ceramic but it may be coated with ceramic :shrug:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #36 on: October 14, 2016, 01:17:34 AM
I always wuved de Seahosees cause o de warncliffs shape. I shoulda bought 7 when dey came out!

I like the wharncliffe but my favorite is the sheepsfoot blade :dd: :D Very similar though and that is why I like them both :tu:

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #37 on: October 14, 2016, 07:43:09 PM
Looks like you are gonna have fun this month Poncho. I'd never seen that RR with the ceramic blade, and I have to say, i'm rather intrigued...
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #38 on: October 15, 2016, 02:07:47 AM
Looks like you are gonna have fun this month Poncho. I'd never seen that RR with the ceramic blade, and I have to say, i'm rather intrigued...

Yes it is gonna be a rather interesting month :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #39 on: October 15, 2016, 02:16:27 AM
Day 5 I carried my 3 bladed green pick bone Mustang Whittler, Hen and Rooster today :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #40 on: October 15, 2016, 08:23:15 PM
Day 6 First weekend day in my carry challenge so I decided to go with this old 3 bladed Stockman :cheers: This is the knife my dad carried when I was young, so this is the first knife I really remember when growing up :dd: I reprofiled the large blade as he used it as a screwdriver I guess :shrug: and chipped the end off of it :D I also contacted Buck Creek and got a new emblem for it and glued it in :tu: Later remembering that it was the wrong emblem :facepalm: It was suppose to be an indian head similar to the head that is on the blade tang :ahhh Still I like the way it turned out and the knife just has a quality feel to it :tu:

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #41 on: October 15, 2016, 08:37:48 PM
Nice traditionals! :tu:
:popcorn:
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #42 on: October 15, 2016, 11:39:30 PM
Day 6 First weekend day in my carry challenge so I decided to go with this old 3 bladed Stockman :cheers: This is the knife my dad carried when I was young, so this is the first knife I really remember when growing up :dd: I reprofiled the large blade as he used it as a screwdriver I guess :shrug: and chipped the end off of it :D I also contacted Buck Creek and got a new emblem for it and glued it in :tu: Later remembering that it was the wrong emblem :facepalm: It was suppose to be an indian head similar to the head that is on the blade tang :ahhh Still I like the way it turned out and the knife just has a quality feel to it :tu:

Nice stockman and the fact that it was your dads, PRICELESS.
 :like:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: October 15, 2016, 11:42:02 PM
 :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #44 on: October 16, 2016, 02:15:06 AM
Thanks guys :tu: I always have loved the look of that knife :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: October 16, 2016, 04:05:28 PM
Day 7 A week into it already :woohoo: I am carrying a 2 Bladed stag handled canoe from Hen and Rooster today :cheers: I bought this knife several years back and it is possibly the thinnest knife I own except maybe the Vic alox Classic :tu:

Beside the SwissChamp for size reference :cheers:

au Offline Gohard

• Leatherman fanatic!!
Reply #46 on: October 16, 2016, 04:46:15 PM
Nice and I love the stag.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #47 on: October 17, 2016, 12:39:08 AM
Nice and I love the stag.

Thanks buddy :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: October 17, 2016, 12:42:02 AM
Another nice one. :tu: :tu:

need more :popcorn:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #49 on: October 17, 2016, 12:48:26 AM
Another nice one. :tu: :tu:

need more :popcorn:

Got 23 more days worth :tu:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #50 on: October 17, 2016, 01:25:00 AM
 :tu: :like: :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #51 on: October 17, 2016, 07:20:11 PM
Day 8 This to me is one of the prettiest handles knives I own :dd: and my picture taking doesnt do it justice :facepalm: It is a 3 bladed stockman Hen and Rooster :tu: This is another knife that I bought myself and I think I bought it before I was even married :o

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: October 17, 2016, 10:04:35 PM
 :like: It's almost to nice to use.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #53 on: October 18, 2016, 05:34:08 PM

I know and that is the problem that I have with a lot of my knives  :facepalm: :D I like buying knives that look very nice like the and them end up not wanting to use them.or I do buy some with the intention of never using them anyway :whistle: Hopefully this challenge will help me overcome.using some of my knives :cheers:

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: October 18, 2016, 05:47:13 PM

I know and that is the problem that I have with a lot of my knives  :facepalm: :D I like buying knives that look very nice like the and them end up not wanting to use them.or I do buy some with the intention of never using them anyway :whistle: Hopefully this challenge will help me overcome.using some of my knives :cheers:

I've had the I don't want to use it problem a few times but thankfully I got over it. :D  In the end I'm glad I did because I get more pleasure out of using knives, than looking at knives. At least when they are mine.

The only exceptions are inherited knives, I can't bring myself to use those.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #55 on: October 18, 2016, 08:22:54 PM

I've had the I don't want to use it problem a few times but thankfully I got over it. :D  In the end I'm glad I did because I get more pleasure out of using knives, than looking at knives. At least when they are mine.

The only exceptions are inherited knives, I can't bring myself to use those.

I am actually carrying a knife that was my great-grandfathers today :o I was 4 almost 5 when he dies and I remember him rather well :tu: He was a feisty old man that lived to be 94 years old and was a veteran of WWI in the Navy :o I have pics of the knife but just haven't gotten around to putting them on here yet ;) I was given the knife a few years after he dies by my grandmother (who is the one that is still alive and feisty at 83 herself) and the two of her sister that were living at the time :cheers: It is a Craftsman brand knife made in the USA that is greatly worn and we'll used, the emblem was long gone way before I ever got it and even the handle is worn there enough to tell me that is was gone for a very long time :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #56 on: October 18, 2016, 10:13:43 PM
Day 9 I am carrying a knife that I have had a very long time today and I told most everything in the post above about it :tu: It is a Craftsman 2 bladed pen knife with either synthetic handles or perhaps a jigged bone :think: It is very pcoket worn and smooth so not exactly sure about that :shrug: Anyway you go about it though this is a very special knife to me :tu:

This pic is to reference size :cheers:

« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 10:15:16 PM by Poncho65 »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #57 on: October 18, 2016, 11:07:34 PM
What I really like about the knives you're posting here and in the other traditional knife thread, is that these knives had a life. They're not just immaculate shineys that look like they're straight from the factory, but knives that have stories to tell. Knives that have been there when someone needed them. Much as we all like nice new shineys, I do like to see pics of these faithful companions too  :cheers:

Thanks for sharing them  :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #58 on: October 18, 2016, 11:18:39 PM
What I really like about the knives you're posting here and in the other traditional knife thread, is that these knives had a life. They're not just immaculate shineys that look like they're straight from the factory, but knives that have stories to tell. Knives that have been there when someone needed them. Much as we all like nice new shineys, I do like to see pics of these faithful companions too  :cheers:

Thanks for sharing them  :salute:

A few of these are the type without a story but I think I am gonna fix that :salute: The ones with the stories do mean more to me though :cheers: I use to change my carry up more when I was young but after I found this place I went to carrying SAKs more so this challenge has let me sorta reignite some of my old carries :tu:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #59 on: October 18, 2016, 11:58:40 PM
I know the feeling well. It's just hard to go back to those simple carries once you've come to appreciate the joys of more capability. So much of my older stuff just doesn't get pocket time these days.  :-\

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD