Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Should I be concerned?

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Should I be concerned?
on: January 17, 2009, 11:16:33 AM
After a half an hour of chopping wood today and coming inside my back hurt like hell and overall sucked. All I wanted to do was take something for the pain and lay down, obviously I didn't (yea right). Well as the day does on I was using my knife for taking down a cardboard box and my right hand did not want to perform the function of opening the blade correctly. It's feels stiff and the freedom of movement is limited for some reason. Using my A/O blades it works fine but say I want to use my Buck Tac-Lite and I can't get my thumb to rotate the blade around without it giving me trouble. This is totally wacked out, I tried a couple more knives and tools that were one handed and the function was harder to perform, closing is even more difficult (like the Wave) than opening is. I know I have Tendonitis and some arthiritis in my hands (cause they cramp up and burn when I type on the pc, use a screwdriver, etc) and I know I do have some problems that are only going to get worse with time.

My wife things it was cause I am not use to chopping wood but I don't think so. It's the next day and it still is not right, too early in the morning to tell (5:00am). Hopefully I notice a difference as the day goes on.

I tell you, when you are use to using a knife everyday and you struggle to open a blade that would otherwise be a piece of cake....I wanted to cry....I thought what they hell! this is not cool at all!.  :-[ Hope it wears out or heals or something, cause this sucks.

Anyways I have bored you enough, let me know what you think.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Re: Should I be concerned?
Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 11:19:20 AM
Visit a physio.

Hell, even if they don't fix anything, you get a sweet massage.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 12:23:07 PM
Best to get it checked out mate :-\
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 02:00:17 PM
Hey take it from somone who put off med attntion. Go get looked at. Could use a quick little manipulation to free up something, but dont wait. Why make yourself miserable?
S

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 06:01:39 PM
I'd seriously get that checked out! After I got out of high school, I cracked some ribs and I didn't go to the hospital.. I ended up getting a severe pneumonia and it was not fun!
B

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 06:43:54 PM
No point in being macho about it, if it's still a problem then go and see your Doctor.  At least then he can tell you it's nothing to worry about.  No point stressing yourself with not knowing.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 06:56:24 PM
Might be 2 different things.  Mebbe not.  The tingling and stiffness when typing may be carpal tunnel.  Pretty classic symptom.  The stiffness today could be carpal tunnel, could be pinched nerve in armpit or neck or muscle strain.  Gotta be examined to know what's what however.

The limited range of motion in your thumb could be a whole buncha things.  Place to start is an orthopedic surgeon with experience in hand/wrist and arm.  (For a thorough exam).

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 09:18:09 PM
Yea guys, still hurts and working the same way. In fact it may be worse, but I am not sure. I will get it checked out in the next couple of days. Thanks for the input. I may have carpal tunnel, I have been on a keyboard most of my life so I would not surprised (been into computers since the commodore vic 20). I know being handicapped sure sucks. I will let you guys know what I am able to find out.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 11:11:11 PM
Also remember,,,,,ICE PACKS ARE YOUR FRIEND!!!!!!!!!! :tu:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%