Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tricky second album

skydan · 29 · 1982

Offline skydan

Tricky second album
on: March 31, 2009, 08:39:36 AM
So, you've been trying out the legendary Swiss workmanship of your first Victorinox SAK. What do you get for an encore?

My second was a black-scaled Climber. :climber: It was to be an EDC when not backpacking. Something a little slimmer than the Ranger yet with the most useful tools. As a Swissbit now lives on my keyring it sits next to my computer and keeps other Vics company.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Tricky second album
Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 09:30:43 AM
My second was a Climber as well except I was moving up in size, not down.  I started with a Waiter went to a Climber and on to a Huntsman.  It all gets a little fuzzy after that.  :-[
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 10:17:50 AM
I've not got a Climber (no saw) but there there extremely popular for a reason :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline skydan

Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 11:40:40 AM
I've not got a Climber (no saw) but there there extremely popular for a reason :tu:
A useful configuration for urbania hence the Voyager et al. Do you remember your second SAK or is the memory lost to the mists of time?

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 12:55:51 PM

I'm curious to know (as I just don't get this saw fixation of yours  :D ) how many times have you actually needed that saw in an EDC situation? 
I'm back!!

Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 02:17:39 PM
A useful configuration for urbania hence the Voyager et al. Do you remember your second SAK or is the memory lost to the mists of time?
1st was a Mauser Officers, 2nd was a Swisschamp, and 3rd was a Mini Champ, 4th was a Camper, then thing's get a little blury :think: :D

Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 02:20:15 PM

I'm curious to know (as I just don't get this saw fixation of yours  :D ) how many times have you actually needed that saw in an EDC situation? 
When I'm down the woods (Me and the boy need swords everytime :D), in the garden and at work all the time :)

Plus I find it a great comfort having one on me as I can knock up a shelter or a fire wherever I am then :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 02:28:53 PM by Micky d »

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 02:27:19 PM

Works great as a keyhole saw, like if you're installing a new wall socket or lighting fixture.   Also, if you're out on a trail, it makes quick work of woody vines/saplings that are obscuring the trail.

For me, I use the saw probably once or twice a month, obviously more when working on construction projects.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 02:56:02 PM

When I'm down the woods (Me and the boy need swords everytime :D), in the garden and at work all the time :)

Plus I find it a great comfort having one on me as I can knock up a shelter or a fire wherever I am then :)

But you "prepare" to go to the woods so that doesn't count.  :D  I'm talking about a normal EDC situation.

TBH I carry one but I don't know why.  I can see the sense of keeping one in your car but for an Urban EDC I do see very little value in one, especially in this country as knocking up shelter is just not something I think we need to prepare for when we are so highly populated and have mobile phones and taxi's that can drive you home.

Maybe I just have the wrong mindset  :think: , if I broke down maybe I shouldn't be thinking "Right how do I get home" but should be thinking "Right lets set up camp".  :D
I'm back!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 03:07:11 PM

But you "prepare" to go to the woods so that doesn't count.  :D  I'm talking about a normal EDC situation.

TBH I carry one but I don't know why.  I can see the sense of keeping one in your car but for an Urban EDC I do see very little value in one, especially in this country as knocking up shelter is just not something I think we need to prepare for when we are so highly populated and have mobile phones and taxi's that can drive you home.

Maybe I just have the wrong mindset  :think: , if I broke down maybe I shouldn't be thinking "Right how do I get home" but should be thinking "Right lets set up camp".  :D

If it wasn't for the fact that I have set myself up as El Presidente of the Micky Fan Club then I would totally agree with you.  However the party line is "Everyone should carry a saw at all times" :twak:

Duty done I think, so now I can say that I almost never have one on me either.  :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 03:18:25 PM
I'm not sure if you were loyal there or not?  :D
I'm back!!

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 03:33:56 PM
My first was a Pioneer & I have had it for around 20yrs , 2nd was a Huntsman & my good wife gave it too me 7-8 years ago.
My 3rd SAK is the only one I have actually given any thought too ; The Swisschamp ? Silver Alox Farmer & or Soldier  ??? .
I think I will get all 3 at some stage  :D :D :D . Might message Tim in a couple of weeks & see if he can do me a package deal  ::) :D :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 03:40:17 PM
My second was a Swisschamp, my first being a Mechanic.
I'm back!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 03:47:05 PM

El Presidente is a political appointment, remember.  Loyalty and honesty don't really come into it. :angel:

Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 05:47:21 PM

El Presidente is a political appointment, remember.  Loyalty and honesty don't really come into it. :angel:
:D :D

Don't forget most people are car-centric in this country, so you've always got a roof over your heads. I think we bikers/cyclists have a very different mindset :)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 05:48:47 PM

Don't forget most people are car-centric in this country, so you've always got a roof over your heads. I think we bikers/cyclists have a very different mindset :)

We may have a roof, but we still want to go home!  :D
I'm back!!

Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 05:49:47 PM

But in a pinch you could sleep in the car, I've never had that option :)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 05:50:56 PM

Could, but why on earth would I want to when I have so many options of how to get home?
I'm back!!

Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 05:54:40 PM

Could, but why on earth would I want to when I have so many options of how to get home?
I'd sooner have a hard nights sleep than pay some cowboy :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: March 31, 2009, 05:55:39 PM
 ::)

So the bottom line is Mike carries a saw because he hates Taxi drivers.  :D :D
I'm back!!

Reply #20 on: March 31, 2009, 05:56:26 PM

How did you know i hated them with an insane passion :o :D

ca Offline Black Rose

Reply #21 on: March 31, 2009, 06:21:50 PM

All cyclists hate Taxi drivers....they don't know how to drive.

ca Offline Black Rose

Reply #22 on: March 31, 2009, 06:25:44 PM
So, you've been trying out the legendary Swiss workmanship of your first Victorinox SAK. What do you get for an encore?
First SAK was a Driver (Eco Recruit).

Next SAK was a Christmas gift (Alox Classic).

The next SAK that I purchased myself was a Climber.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: March 31, 2009, 06:33:19 PM

In a fit of Party loyalty I've got my Camper Special out for EDC.  Never let it be said I'm not easily swayed.  :salute:

us Offline David

Reply #24 on: March 31, 2009, 06:54:28 PM
I dont remember for sure but I think it was Vic Soldier then a Farmer. After the Farmer the slope got real slippery.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: March 31, 2009, 09:11:33 PM
First was a Wenger Spartan followed by a Vic Huntsman then a Swisschamp. Now I'm getting into Alox :)
Prone to daydreaming.

Reply #26 on: March 31, 2009, 10:24:45 PM

All cyclists hate Taxi drivers....they don't know how to drive.
Sadly that's very true :(

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #27 on: March 31, 2009, 10:54:04 PM
My first was a Pioneer & I have had it for around 20yrs , 2nd was a Huntsman & my good wife gave it too me 7-8 years ago.
My 3rd SAK is the only one I have actually given any thought too ; The Swisschamp ? Silver Alox Farmer & or Soldier  ??? .
I think I will get all 3 at some stage  :D :D :D . Might message Tim in a couple of weeks & see if he can do me a package deal  ::) :D :D :D

If I read this right, you currently only have two SAKs. There is still hope for you, run while you have the chance save your money and your sanity do you really want to end up like one of us? :think:

My first was Brenda (sorry wrong first) a Camper, then I bought a pink classic for the wife (does that count) then a Swiss Champ but I gave my Camper away to a good friend.  Then after that the lines get blurred and the room goes dark and money disappears at an alarming rate.  IT IS A SICKNESS I TELL YOU!!!! :cry:

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #28 on: April 01, 2009, 02:09:14 AM

If I read this right, you currently only have two SAKs. There is still hope for you, run while you have the chance save your money and your sanity do you really want to end up like one of us? :think:

My first was Brenda (sorry wrong first) a Camper, then I bought a pink classic for the wife (does that count) then a Swiss Champ but I gave my Camper away to a good friend.  Then after that the lines get blurred and the room goes dark and money disappears at an alarming rate.  IT IS A SICKNESS I TELL YOU!!!! :cry:

Aaron you do read right, I have 2 & think the Swisschamp , silver Farmer & silver soldier would see me right  :o I am only slightly attracted to the First Mate(shocking I know  :o) Now my MT's , that is a proper sickness  ::).I too will do a 1'st anniversary photo of my membership of this corrupting forum & the tools I have been bullied into buying in just 12mnths(a couple of weeks away) . It is um hard to explain  :think: :think:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21