Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hedgekid in bizarre exploding Smartcar incident

ca Offline Black Rose

Re: Hedgekid in bizarre exploding Smartcar incident
Reply #30 on: May 13, 2009, 04:58:39 AM
I think everyone should have a Smart Car.  Seriously, keep it in your glove compartment, and if your regular car breaks down, you'll be glad you have it when you go for help!
:D

They are actually pretty safe, but in a different manner than regular cars.  The frame of the car is a roll cage, and rather than crumple zones, it's designed with very little mass so it bounces off things.  The idea is rather than getting crushed, the occupants will be launched away from the accident, and protected from the roll by the frame. 
I saw one last year that was involved in a collision with a Chevy Monte Carlo.  Other than the airbag deployment, the Smart car appeared to be intact.
The Monte Carlo actually had more damage  :think:

When I wait for the bus in the morning at my transfer point I see them cruising along beside 18-wheelers and the size differential is really an eye opener.

Apparently you can get about 14 dozen beer cases in the back of one though  :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: May 13, 2009, 09:48:42 AM
I think everyone should have a Smart Car.  Seriously, keep it in your glove compartment, and if your regular car breaks down, you'll be glad you have it when you go for help!
:D

They are actually pretty safe, but in a different manner than regular cars.  The frame of the car is a roll cage, and rather than crumple zones, it's designed with very little mass so it bounces off things.  The idea is rather than getting crushed, the occupants will be launched away from the accident, and protected from the roll by the frame. 
I saw one last year that was involved in a collision with a Chevy Monte Carlo.  Other than the airbag deployment, the Smart car appeared to be intact.
The Monte Carlo actually had more damage 
:think:

When I wait for the bus in the morning at my transfer point I see them cruising along beside 18-wheelers and the size differential is really an eye opener.

Apparently you can get about 14 dozen beer cases in the back of one though  :tu:

The fact of the matter is that good safety design is much more important than size and bulk.  I'm sure that North America will have a similar system but here we use the Euro NCAP grades: http://www.euroncap.com/tests/smart_fortwo_2007/303.aspx

You can see that the 2007 Smart is actually pretty safe to be in, but you don't want to be hit by one (or any other car for that matter).  :)

Compared to the Ford Ranger I'd rather be in the Smart:  http://www.euroncap.com/tests/ford_ranger_2008/342.aspx

:o
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #32 on: May 13, 2009, 03:00:15 PM
They recently started selling the smart cars in the US and I'm just starting to see them regularly.

I should think ours don't have this problem. I hope.

And the only negative I see with the Smartcar is that if you get rear-ended by a Hummer or SUV,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,YOU'RE SCREWED!!!!! :ahhh
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: May 13, 2009, 03:51:17 PM
Glad your  other half is ok these things are bloody scary.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 04:43:47 PM by jock1 »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: May 13, 2009, 04:23:20 PM
They recently started selling the smart cars in the US and I'm just starting to see them regularly.

And the only negative I see with the Smartcar is that if you get rear-ended by a Hummer or SUV,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,YOU'RE SCREWED!!!!! :ahhh

Wouldn't a Smart fit under a Hummer?  ;)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #35 on: May 13, 2009, 04:39:28 PM
Well, it would easily fit under a hammer  :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #36 on: May 13, 2009, 07:42:26 PM

Same story with a Toyota Echo or Yaris, or pretty well any of the sub compacts out there nowadays.  That's why I drive a Jeep...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #37 on: May 14, 2009, 07:05:51 PM

So it appears that TLC fealt your anguish and is running a special tonight: "Street Customs: Escalade and Smart Car" (TLC, 9:00 pm) :D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #38 on: May 15, 2009, 12:56:49 AM
I should point out that my dislike of Smart cars is purely because they are naff. They do actually have a good safety record, great mpg and you can park them in busy cities. Fact is, they are great, but I wouldn't be seen dead in one.

I'm starting a new hobby up, seeing how many of them I can run over in my Freelander :D
I used to come here a lot.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #39 on: May 15, 2009, 01:31:58 AM
There's more metal in one of my bumpers than in one whole Smart Car... :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $81.95
PayPal Fees: $4.26
Net Balance: $77.69
Below Goal: $222.31
Site Currency: USD
26%