Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rust issue, not only leatherman

jzmtl · 71 · 5829

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Rust issue, not only leatherman
on: May 20, 2009, 10:38:46 PM
Some of you may recall I was annoyed when I took it on a ski trip, and it rusted by what's essentially distilled water. Well I've switched to powerlock since, and during inspection today, I found it has surface rust as well. I've always took it out sheath to air dry after each trip, but apparently this was not enough to prevent it from rusting.  :( You may also recall that my spirit has rust on the serration of jaws after sitting in storage for sometime, how? I have no clue. But it goes to show you no brand is immune to rust, even thou none of them was abused.

One thing thou, all the surface rust were on unpolished surface. Can opener and inside handle for wave, base of jaw and phillips driver for powerlock, and serration of jaw on spirit. Also goes to show you how a simple polish would prevent the same stainless steel from rusting.

Offline Leatherman123

Re: Rust issue, not only leatherman
Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 10:49:56 PM
Great thread!!z :tu:

You know, some people don't understand this simple concept- ALL STEEL RUSTS IF NOT PROPERLY MAINTAINED! Everyone here seems to think that Victorinox products make all others look inferior, they have the best everything really, and that all Leathermans rust. I have been a hardcore LM user for quite some time now and I use a Tuf Cloth on them and I have never had a LM rust badly. A few specks here and there is no big deal it not like it effects function and the minuscule surface rust comes off in seconds. I don't know about you guys, but the Swiss dominance around here is getting old.

As a matter of fact, there was once rust in the nail nicks of a used SwissTool I got from Tim.

BTW, I did not mean to hijack your thread or anything, it's just that you made a very good point "no brand is immune to rust"!
B

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 10:55:13 PM
I find it funny that Leatherman users have to point out everytime a spot of rust appears on a Vic.  ::) ::)
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 10:58:25 PM
Yeah, because every thread is about how SwissTools are the best tools and are impervious to elements- it needs to be said!
B

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 11:05:44 PM
I could give a rip about rust , I know how to maintain my stuff , be it guns , knives , tools etc ! Vic's still lead the pack , rust is the last resort of the negligent !

Chris

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 11:07:28 PM
Yeah, because every thread is about how SwissTools are the best tools and are impervious to elements- it needs to be said!

And all your threads are about how great Leatherman are.....everyone has an opinion, this forum gives them the opportunity to voice them :)
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 11:09:29 PM
No they're not... At least half of Nikko's threads start with "WTB or WTTF"... :D

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 11:21:24 PM
I don't know about you guys, but the Swiss dominance around here is getting old.
Why does it bother you that more people prefer another brand? It's not that big of a deal. If you're happy with Leatherman tools then great but I prefer Vics and when someone new gets on here and asks for my preference then I'm gonna tell him.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

us Offline Pacu

Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 11:23:45 PM
i need to try out a swisstool :D
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 11:32:16 PM
I have an engraved Spirit S that J-Sews put a pocket clip on. It's an awesome tool but it's also pretty special to me. I must admit I've considered getting a LM Kick with a pocket clip to carry when I'm going somewhere that I might lose my Spirit.

Offline joebw

Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 01:07:30 AM
Hi,

I have 263 Leatherman tools, pruners, knives & lights.  After I use them, I wipe them down with a silicone cloth.  Guess what - no rust.  If you have rust on your tools (of any brand), perhaps it speaks to inadequate care on your part?

Time to stop beating a dead donkey.

Cheers - Joe

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 01:12:50 AM
Do you have a pic of your collection?
(

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 01:13:41 AM
I don't know about you guys, but the Swiss dominance around here is getting old.
Why does it bother you that more people prefer another brand? It's not that big of a deal. If you're happy with Leatherman tools then great but I prefer Vics and when someone new gets on here and asks for my preference then I'm gonna tell him.

I'm not saying that, it's just like just about every Swiss related thread talks about it's superiority! Which is perfectly fine, but a lot of claims are false.. Just like LM's rust. I don't have nearly as many LM's as Joe, but, I'm up there: and still no rust.. But yeah, LM doesn't have a mirror polish so a few specks of rust is inevitable. LM even says to wipe down your tool immediately after salsmurfer exposure. Oh wait, I think the Swisstool manual says the same thing.. If you follow those simple guidelines you won't get any rust!  :)

B

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 02:55:25 AM
Well I for one love these arguments on tools. I actually work in a very wet environment and any tool I carry rusts quickly including Sog, Vic, Wenger and LM. It dont bother me one bit and I usually give my tools a good cleaning when I get home and strip out the pockets.A little whipe down and maybe sometimes some fine steel wool and good to go.

But still I would love to see some steel guru figure out how to make H1 steel harder so tools can be manufactured from it.
S

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 02:58:36 AM
I don't see rust as a problem.
(

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 03:27:31 AM
it's just like just about every Swiss related thread talks about it's superiority! Which is perfectly fine, but a lot of claims are false..
Exactly which claims are "false"? Vics aren't immune to rust but obviously the experience of a lot of people on here point to the probability that Vics have a more rust resistant finish than Leathermans. And a lot of people on here prefer the Vic tools over the Leatherman tools. Are Vic tools higher quality than Leatherman tools? Is it a certifiable fact? I don't think that you can prove it scientifically but you have to at least listen to the majority opinion.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 03:29:52 AM
Multitools aren't meant to appeal to the masses really.. Everyone's needs are different thus everyone likes their own brand etc. Like I like tools with one hand opening knife blades so it's really only Leatherman's for me.
B

us Offline Pacu

Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 03:55:10 AM

Everyone likes their own brand

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #18 on: May 21, 2009, 06:53:05 AM
A

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #19 on: May 21, 2009, 07:11:44 AM
Hi,

I have 263 Leatherman tools, pruners, knives & lights.  After I use them, I wipe them down with a silicone cloth.  Guess what - no rust.  If you have rust on your tools (of any brand), perhaps it speaks to inadequate care on your part?

Time to stop beating a dead donkey.

Cheers - Joe
And not least, how do you store them..  :D
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,10700.msg207770.html#msg207770

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #20 on: May 21, 2009, 07:18:37 AM
It' not just a question of rust though, LM's require far more car and attention that Vic will ever do. Every LM I've had, from Micra's to Charges has needed to be inspected daily for rust, then cleaned and oiled, which is fine until your too tired or haven't got time to do it, but I have been happy to leave my Vic's dirty in the knowledge that it won't dothem any harm :)

But that's my opinion based on 18 years of pocket tool use, of nearly every major brand :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #21 on: May 21, 2009, 08:44:56 AM
It' not just a question of rust though, LM's require far more car and attention that Vic will ever do. Every LM I've had, from Micra's to Charges has needed to be inspected daily for rust, then cleaned and oiled, which is fine until your too tired or haven't got time to do it, but I have been happy to leave my Vic's dirty in the knowledge that it won't dothem any harm :)

But that's my opinion based on 18 years of pocket tool use, of nearly every major brand :)

Oh come on, that's way too exaggerated. I also have a micra made in 1999 in my pocket that undergone the same trip and treatment as the wave and powerlock, and has zero speck of rust, simply because it has no rough unpolished surface.

I sense the vic fans getting defensive. :D

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #22 on: May 21, 2009, 04:21:06 PM
In the immortal words of Shakespeare, "What's in a name? That which we call a rose."

I can see which one is the rose.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 04:36:37 PM by Buzzbait »
--
'Buzz

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #23 on: May 21, 2009, 05:45:47 PM

Oh come on, that's way too exaggerated. I also have a micra made in 1999 in my pocket that undergone the same trip and treatment as the wave and powerlock, and has zero speck of rust, simply because it has no rough unpolished surface.

I sense the vic fans getting defensive. :D
Not at all, I recognise LM's for what they are :), but I really did find that my LM's rusted at an altogether unacceptable rate, partly that's down to my apparently Nurglite powers, and partly due to the fact that it was in my belt pouch whilst riding motorcycles, so while not exposed to direct water, it certainly collected some moisture :-\

And so I spent almost everyday having to wipe it down, and then wiping off the surface rust around the pivots and between the tools, whereas I had to saw several branches off of a sycamore tree today, and I've not even bothered to clean the saw blade, and probably won't get around to it till tommorow, but I know despite the sap (it's still very much alive) they'll be no corrosion :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Pacu

Reply #24 on: May 21, 2009, 07:29:51 PM
Seems like someone did a rust test a while back on here. Do i need to call Jamie and Adam, Grant, Kari, and Tory for a Mythbuster?

Mmmmmm  Kari...... :D >:D

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #25 on: May 21, 2009, 07:36:15 PM
you know what, that actually sounds like a good idea, weve seen them using MT, at least i know id like to see them try that just for the sake of it :D
A

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #26 on: May 21, 2009, 07:51:44 PM
Anything I'd had from new of either brand hasn't rusted, but I've seen plenty of old neglected ones looking like cr*p. I don't put them through the kind of abuse that leaves them filthy or damp really o it's never been a big issue for me. Now I have a dedicated alox harvester for the allotment use, we shall see if that copes!
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #27 on: May 21, 2009, 09:45:04 PM
In the immortal words of Shakespeare, "What's in a name? That which we call a rose."

I can see which one is the rose.

And which one works for a living, and which one is a shelf queen. A picture of one tool with rust the other without doesn't mean anything.

Funny all the vic fans just look directly over SOG mentioned, and the conclusion of it basically comes down to surface finish rather than brand/steel, and turned this into leatherman vs. vic.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 09:47:31 PM by jzmtl »

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: May 21, 2009, 11:08:31 PM
I am a big LM fan and love their tools and have carried them for years, but I have to admit that there tools do rust more than other more polished tools. Not only that I have found that their newer tools rust more than their older line up. These 3 tools, LM Wave w/ KicK phillips driver, LM Charge AL, and Vic Spirit w/pocket clip are my most carried tools. I use them hard in and around cleaning chemicals at work and get good results with all three of them. I have to say that I have gotten really bad at cleaning them after using them. When I decide to use a different tool I usually just throw them in the tool box and pick up another. For that past 2 weeks or so I have been carrying a LM Pulse so this thread made me dig out these three tools and take a look at them. This is what I found.

LM Wave

LM Charge AL

Vic Spirit

Beautiful Spirit rust free yes? No..... but still not as bad as the LMs

« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 11:10:31 PM by prime77 »
"

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #29 on: May 22, 2009, 06:16:14 AM
And which one works for a living, and which one is a shelf queen. A picture of one tool with rust the other without doesn't mean anything.

Both work for a living. The Micra has been attached to the outside of my backpack for the last year or so. The Swisschamp is new. I do have a Vic Huntsman that was clipped to my backpack for 5 years before the Micra. It looks as good as my new Swisschamp.

--
'Buzz

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40