Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Juice SC2 - initial thoughts (Pic Heavy) 16155

No Life Club Posts: 1,176

Woz at

Leatherman Juice SC2 - initial thoughts (Pic Heavy)
« on: May 25, 2009, 06:43:50 PM »
Today my new tool arrived, a storm blue Juice SC2. It is not listed on LM website and is no official tool but a limited production for a US retail.

Anyways, it has Scissors AND corkscrew, so it has two tools I consider to be usefull without becoming too heavy and bulky like the CS4 or XE6 might be. And, it got a great price. For it is no official model I do not know normal retail price, but the Juice S2 is 64 Euro!(90 dollars) on amazon.de - retail, MRSP is even higher, 89 Euro!

I´d never have bought it there, so I had to get one from the US. Thanks Ebay  :D

Here we go!
The Juice SC2 is quite a basic tool. It has pliers, wirecutter and hard wirecutter, 3 flatheads (doh´that´s al lot), 1 Phillipps, scissors, corkscrew, blade and bottle/can opener with corkscrew assist.

Let´s start with the pliers.
They are about as large and as strong as the pliers on my Skeletool - but open a little wider. To my suprise they open even wider than my Spirit. See pictures.

Juice - Skeletool - Spirit

Juice vs Skeletool

Juice vs Spirit

You see, the pliers are not too small. But they´re not very strong. Compared to the Spirit they´re much weaker. That is OK, the Juice is not a heavy duty workhorse. But it should be up to most EDC tasks and maybe a little more. Like them.

Juice vs Spirit

Wire cutters just work fine.

Next tool: Blade

The blade is sharp out off the box. Not hair-popping sharp, but ok. Cuts paper and shaves my arm. I guess I might get it even sharper, but for the steel is supposed to be soft that´s maybe no good idea. The blade is OK for EDC tasks. As you can see on the picture its about the size of the Skeletools blade, larger than that of the Squirt S4 and a little shorter then the butterknife on the Spirit. Speaking about the Squirt S4: I´m glad to say that the blade on the Juice is NOT chiselground. I do not like chiselground blade, so I never used that thing on the Squirt. If edge retention turns out to be OK I might think of carrying the Juice without supporting folding knife sometimes.

Speaking of folding knifes. The Juice is about the size of small folding knives. Here it is with Spyderco Dragonfly and Fällkniven U2 - same size!

Amazing! A serious multitool in Dragonfly size. I do not consider keychain tools real tools - they´re gadgets, nice to have and sometimes handy, but no real tools - the Juice is.

Next tool: scissors

I consider scissors being very usefull on a SAK or MT. I like scissors. And I use them very often. Missed them on my Skeletool, so I backed it up with the Squirt S4 - and still missed something.

Here they are: Spirit, Juice, Squirt

The Juice scissors are very large! I like that. The Squirt and Spirit scissors are open to the max on the picture - the Juice is not! But the scissors on the Victorinox tool are sharper. I like them all, and think the Juice scissors will serve me well - and will retire the Squirt.
One weird thing: the first few mm of the scissors are serrated - no idea why. See my super-makro attempt:

Next tools: Screwdrivers
Just fine. There are 3! flatheads and one Phillips head. They work, the large flathead may be used for light prying too, the small one is chiselground. Nice, but nothing special. They are hard to get out of the tool, but I guess it will get easier. Same with the pliers btw, they´re stiff out of the box.

The corkscrew is supposed to work like a waiters knife. But it does not. The assiste just does not have enough grip on the bottle and slips - thats why waiters knife usually have broader assists. Anyway, it works good if used like the corkscrews on SAKs. Just screw it in there and pull. Less elegant, way more effective!
No pics on that, just have two hands. Sorry.

Last tools: Can and bottle opener. While opening bottles is easy, the can opener needs sharpening. Compared to the can openers on SAKs the one on the Juice just sucks. Yes, it works when used with enough force - but I guess the knife blade would be more effective.

Conclusion:

My first impressions are very positive. The Juice is quite lightweight, compact and well built. Ok, one handle is a little thicker, but I guess that´s normal, knew that from other Juice reviews. The handles scratch quite fast. And some tools are not really good, see corkscrew assist and can opener. But i really like the rest. Nice blade, good pliers, great scissors - very nice package. It may be the tool I was looking for, I will add more to this thread when I used it for some months. But for the pirce I paid I got a great tool - and gave my Skeletool to my brother  ;)

Family portrait:

including uncle from Switzerland

edc-reviews.blogspot.com
Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club! Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here... Posts: 42,959 Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Leatherman Juice SC2 - initial thoughts (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 07:33:58 PM »
Another fine review mate :tu:

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!
No Life Club Posts: 4,594 no nacimos con miedo...
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 09:18:34 PM »
great review mate, really enjoy reading it :tu:

A
Global Tuffy Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 28,078 Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 09:21:41 PM »
Another superb review.  :tu:

I'm back!!
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 13,375 Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 09:25:16 PM »
Great review again Woz - and again - you seem to share my thinking on the Juice.

Although I carry a Juice around in my laptop bag - I can't recall ever using it. I'm assuming it's still there  :think:

Admin Team Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 23,213
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 09:48:38 PM »
I like all the comparison photos Woz. Nicely done. :)

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools
Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod Admin Team Zombie Apprentice Posts: 15,038 I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 11:52:09 PM »
Good stuff... I mostly agree with you, it could (and should) be just a little bit better, especially for the money :)

A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke
No Life Club Posts: 2,886
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 07:07:30 AM »
A great review Woz. Really beautiful shots.

"
Admin Team Point Of No Return Posts: 32,156
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 10:29:00 AM »
Great review Woz.  :tu:  I like the tool selection on that as well.  The one thing (other than the price) that put me off the Juice line is the blade shape.  I know why it's the shape it is, I know it doesn't make any difference to how it cuts, but it is ugly! (IMO)

Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...
Global Tuffy Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 28,078 Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 11:55:49 AM »
I prefer "quirky".  :D

I'm back!!
Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club! Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here... Posts: 42,959 Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 02:07:47 PM »
I prefer "quirky".  :D
Is that because your look's were descibed as quirky :think: :D

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 02:18:31 PM »

I'm back!!
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 03:09:36 PM »

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,694 The MTO handshake.
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 03:20:16 PM »
Great review Woz.  :tu:  I like the tool selection on that as well.  The one thing (other than the price) that put me off the Juice line is the blade shape.  I know why it's the shape it is, I know it doesn't make any difference to how it cuts, but it is ugly! (IMO)

I do not know next to the Spirit's Butter knife the Juice blade looks like a Super Model WITH boobs. :o :D :D :D

BTW Wozza nice pics/review mate :tu: :tu:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D
Global Moderator Just Bananas Posts: 61,234
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 11:47:23 PM »
Great review Woz :tu: and great pics to go with it as well :cheers:
Jr. Member Posts: 94
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2009, 02:02:28 AM »
I think the serrated tips on the juice scissors are super handy, if the pivot was as tight as on the vic's I might carry a juice over a spirit.

some materials are slippery, and want to slide out of the jaw of the scissor instead of being cut. the serrations will grab the material, but I see no need to serrate the whole length of the cutting jaw as wenger does, and neither does leatherman apparently.

neat stuff.
Newbie Posts: 18
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 09:54:03 PM »
Excellent review on the SC2 and its a shame that its no longer available.

I find the review particularly helpful when it compares the SC2 against the Spirit.

I'm personally tossing between CS4 or Spirit as my first everyday carry.  Is Spirit really a pocketable size EDC MT?  Or is it a push and better suited to use with a pouch?

Cheers
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 10:42:19 PM »
Welcome Koomeister.  :cheers: 

As to whether the Spirit is pocketable somewhat comes down to you I'm sorry to say.  My personal opinion is that it's too heavy to sit comfortably in the bottom of my pocket so I use a belt pouch.  Some have gotten around this by using an after market pocket clip, others have come up with a belt hanger, I'm sure a few are quite happy to just chuck it in their pocket and forget about it.  I suppose it depends on what you are used to carrying already.

However you end up carrying it I'm certain you'll like it, great tool IMO.

Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...
Newbie Posts: 18
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 01:03:18 AM »
Thanks for your valuable opinion.  :tu:

For now, I'm sure a Juice CS4 would serve me well enough as I have no multi-tool at all.  Well, I own a Victorinox Classic (but its only a toy size accessories, rather than a tool) and have bought a Climber but dislike it due to its size vs functionality in comparison to CS4.  (But really, SC2 would have the best of 2 worlds for me).

The only reason I would consider a Spirit is because they're almost the same price, most probably the same thickness, and IMO, Victorinox is by far a better built product.  I had a play with the Leatherman CS4 in a retailer, and boy, the tools are stiff as!  However, the Spirit accounts for nothing if I'm not carrying it.

So I'll see how the CS4 goes in my pocket.  If the tools remain too difficult to access, I might have to consider a Victorinox again.

Welcome Koomeister.  :cheers: 

As to whether the Spirit is pocketable somewhat comes down to you I'm sorry to say.  My personal opinion is that it's too heavy to sit comfortably in the bottom of my pocket so I use a belt pouch.  Some have gotten around this by using an after market pocket clip, others have come up with a belt hanger, I'm sure a few are quite happy to just chuck it in their pocket and forget about it.  I suppose it depends on what you are used to carrying already.

However you end up carrying it I'm certain you'll like it, great tool IMO.
Full Member Posts: 118
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2010, 03:55:30 AM »
Woz, after months (many) of use, what are your extended thoughts on the Juice?
Admin Team Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,901 Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2010, 07:36:13 AM »
I just got one and I really love it.  Fantastic little tool that fits right in my pocket.

Sean

Support the forum and shop at the Multitool.org Store!!
Full Member Posts: 138 SOG! SOG! SOG!

e17

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2010, 05:59:39 AM »
I always liked the "electric" colors of these Juice...
New User Posts: 4
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2010, 07:59:48 PM »
I love the SC2-I need scissors and corkscrew/opener.  It is so close to a perfect pocket tool.  I can't imagine why they discontinued it.  I got my first one about 7 years ago at Sam's Club for $45. (packaged with a micra) It got a little bent and I went back to Sam's, but, alas, they were gone.  I went online and discovered that Sierra Trading Post had a cache. I bought 7 of them, avg price $25, and have used two of them so far. I use the heck out of them. In my research online I discovered that the SC2 was made for Walmart/Sam's Club, and they decided not to carry it any more.
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 02:19:16 AM »

I finally got myself a SC2 thanks to Sawman.  I broadly agree with what Woz has written here, but I still stand by mu above statement, the knife blade really is ugly. :D

Admin Team Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 23,213
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2011, 02:30:25 AM »

I finally got myself a SC2 thanks to Sawman.  I broadly agree with what Woz has written here, but I still stand by mu above statement, the knife blade really is ugly. :D

It ain't either! ::) It's contour matches that of the handle, which makes the shape "correct". Form follows function and all that don't you know. :salute: :D

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2011, 12:03:08 AM »

It ain't either! ::) It's contour matches that of the handle, which makes the shape "correct". Form follows function and all that don't you know. :salute: :D

Oh I know why it's ugly, that don't change the fact it is. ;)  It cuts stuff though so I'm not complaining too hard. :D  You'll also be happy to know that I seem to have a good set of scissors on mine that I rather like.

This little Juice has been punching well above where I thought it would, having just helped me build 6 kitchen cabinets. :tu:

New User Posts: 4
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2011, 04:53:47 PM »
Still using my 2nd SC2-Gave one as a Christmas gift, so have 4 left. I can't imagine wandering around town without it in my pocket.  I use it every day. I have to agree about the flat blades.  They were tight on my first SC2 and never really loosened up.  Same on the 2nd one.  Even so, they can still be deployed.  Also have to agree about the corkscrew/wine opener.  The easiest way to use the corkscrew is to screw it into the cork and pull hard.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
October Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: $109.46
PayPal Fees: $6.30
Net Balance: $103.16
Below Goal: $196.84
Site Currency: USD
34%