Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Schrade Tough Tool ST1 and Coleman Pro Lock

Chako · 16 · 7309

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Schrade Tough Tool ST1 and Coleman Pro Lock
on: June 05, 2009, 02:07:24 AM
This is going to be a weird comparison, but I think a fun one.

The Schrade Tough Tool ST1 and the Coleman  Pro Lock. Both tools feature a very similar design element that precipitated this comparison review. The handles swing outwards to open the pliers. In the closed position the head of the pliers is nestled between the two folded handles. This design means that the handles have to be contoured around the pliers. Both of these older discontinued multi-tools show this same trait.

This design came about to eliminate that age old problem of having sharp sheet metal cutting into the palm of the hand when one wished to apply force to the handles. Both these multi-tools were designed to prevent this from happening.  They are both very comfortable to use in this regard, with no sharp edges digging into the palm or fingers during use. Knowing that there aren’t many multi-tools like this today should tell you something.  Because the pliers tend to take a lot of space, these tools tend to be wide. Furthermore, the folding tools are placed in the ends of the handles that have to be wider yet. This means that the handles are wider at the ends where all the folding tools are located, and narrower at the pliers. In practice, the hand wants to slide down towards the pliers in use. If you have small hands, you will not find these very ergonomic.

From left to right: Leatherman Blast, Coleman Pro Lock, Schrade Tough Tool ST1, Leatherman Core, Leatherman Surge.

From left to right: Leatherman Blast, Coleman Pro Lock, Schrade Though Tool ST1.

From left to right: Leatherman Blast, Coleman Pro Lock, Schrade Tough Tool ST1.

Schrade Tough Tool ST1:

Showing the other side of the ST1.

Schrade unfortunately went out of business in 2004. The ST1 was a unique designed multi-tool that had many neat features. This particular piece was my late father’s every day carry. The ST1 is odd in many ways. The tools open sideways from the usually way. You can open the folding tools without having to open the pliers. Only 4 tools lock, two in each handle. That is an odd decision, as they could have easily made all the folding tools lock. Now, another odd and neat thing about the ST1. For those tools that lock, there is a neat way to unlock them. On each handle, there is one tool that has a rounded back that sticks out somewhat. To unlock a tool, simply press this humped tool down.

The tool list on the ST1 is impressive. All folding tools are thick and well constructed.

On one handle we have:
-A combination metal/wood file, locking knife blade, a combination scribe/leather bore (also used to unlock the locking tools), locking Philips screwdriver, and a combination bottle/can opener.

On the other handle, we have:
-A combination measuring ruler/hook disgorger,  locking saw, scraping blade (also used to unlock the locking tools), locking combination large flat head screwdriver/wire stripper, and small flat head screwdriver.

The feel of the tools is that of quality. The handles and tools open silky smooth. There is a notch cut out of each handle that locks the two tools in place. The unlocking tool is located in the middle of the two locking tools per handle. The notch is only 3 tools wide. Due to the design of the locking mechanism, that is why only 4 tools lock on the ST1. At least they made the knives lock, along with the more useful sized screwdrivers. There was intelligent thought into the fine details of this tool.

Coleman Pro Lock:

This particular model was my every day carry for quite a while. It is now retired much like the ST1. I was attracted by the similar design to my father’s multi-tool. Also a very big benefit, was the idea of having the folding tools into small removable pods. The package stated that other pods would become available in the future. Well, I guess this tool wasn’t particularly successful, as there never were any tool pods made for it…to the best of my knowledge.

The Coleman Pro Lock illustrating how the tool pods fit into the handles.

The pods are ingenious in how the are removed and installed. They come out with a small lever that is attached to the pods. When it is time to re-install them, you have to apply some force to pop them back in. The design means that they come out easy, but will never come out on their own.

A nice feature of this design, you can use the pods separately from the main tool. I have found this rather convenient for some jobs.  One oddity of the design that is worth mentioning, the inch and cm rulers are stamped onto one side of each tool pod. When locked away in the handles, you have no clue which pod contains which ruler. You have to take each out if you want to figure out which is which. Much like the ST1, you don’t have to open the tool to use the folding tools.  Unlike the ST1, no tools lock on the Pro Lock. Now that is irony right there!

My apologies for the yellow in the following photo (Yes, I was wearing a bright yellow T-shirt. Seems it got picked up in the photo.

This photo shows the main tool along with each separate tool pod that are stored in the handles for carry and use.

One handle contains:
-A knife blade, can opener, large Phillips screw driver, and a combination metal/wood file and large flat head screwdriver.

The other handle contains:
-A serrated knife blade, small Phillips screw driver, A combination medium flat head screwdriver/wire stripper, and saw.

Conclusion:

Both tools are now discontinued. Both have a similar design to them that attempted to fix the issue of comfort during use.  They succeeded, but at a price. Both feel awkward in the hand due to the shape of the handles. For a collection, they are both quirky and interesting additions that show the progression of multi-tools. They both show their age, and cannot compete with the more modern multi-tools out there for convenience….especially in the tool locking department. Both are quality pieces, with the edge going out to the ST1. The Coleman features a unique feature that I haven't seen elsewhere. Both are quirky and interesting pieces.

Schrade Tough Tools ST1:

Pros:
-            High build quality.
-            no sharp edges anywhere on the tool when closed.
-            Good selection of tools, which are sturdily built.
-            Pliers are reinforced.
-            Handles are very comfortable with no sharp edges when using the pliers.
-            Ingenious unlocking mechanism for locked tools.

Cons:
-   Large, bulky, heavy.
-   Tool design means handles are fat at the tips, narrow at the pliers. Hand wants to slip towards the pliers when using the tool.
-   Only 4 locking tools.
-   Missing some tools that more modern designed multi-tools have, such as scissors.

Coleman Pro Lock:

Pros:
-   Removable tool pods.
-   Good build quality.
-   Handles are very comfortable with no sharp edges when using the pliers.

Cons:
-   Folding tools don’t lock.
-   Large, bulky, heavy.
-   Same issue with the handle shape as with the ST1.
-   Missing some tools that more modern designed multi-tools have, such as scissors.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Re: Schrade Tough Tool ST1 and Coleman Pro Lock
Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 02:13:08 AM
great review mate, i have always wanted to get both....well maybe someday :tu:
A

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 02:57:41 AM
Thanks.

I have to remember to not wear bright yellow T-shirts when bouncing flashes off ceilings.   :think: :twak:  ;)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 03:30:26 AM
I read this when you 1st did it and forgot to post about it ::) Great pics and review as usual Chako :tu: those are 2 odd tools :D compared to the more traditional designs anyway ;)  :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 03:33:16 AM
That is what makes them so interesting. :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 03:37:18 AM
That is what makes them so interesting. :tu:

Very true :) I do like the oddball MT every now and again (but not as much as Mat :D ) great write-up man :cheers:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 03:43:18 AM
Yeah, I have noticed. He sure likes those El Mars. I had never heard of them until I started visiting the forums.

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 11:26:42 AM
Am I seeing an Al-Mar line-up purchase in your future? :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 11:54:57 AM
Probably not.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 07:03:11 PM
Damn another fine review there mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 07:18:48 PM
Oddballs , nuthin wrong with unhinged tools. I used my Autotool's tyre gauge yesterday , very handy as the piece of poo gauges I had were telling lies or falling apart  ::).

Again Chako loverly shots. I have been giving the Coleman a real close look , I love those pods MUCH more than I like Ipods  :D :D.
There is a US seller on Ebay that sells new in packet Prolocks but only to US buyers  :( >:( I curse those sellers.

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 08:17:44 PM
I hear you loud and clear on that.

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 11:08:57 PM
Interesting tools and a great review :tu: Shame they are discontinued. The separate pods idea on the Coleman looks neat.
Prone to daydreaming.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 12:10:39 AM
The pod idea is brilliant - damn shame there isn't something similar around now.

Cheers for another great write up  :tu:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 01:18:08 AM
Thanks.

I bought this one as my first quality piece. Mind you, I now have much nicer MTs....but at the time, it was all I could afford.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #15 on: June 10, 2009, 03:20:04 AM
Yup Good review on the pro-lock. There are several on this forum that bring up this tool from time to time and have the same belief in it as you do. It is a shame the pod never was picked up by another company, and I really believe that it could go somewhere. Especially since the patent is up on it!
S

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD